CADS (Classic, Adventure, Dual Sport)

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by waybill, May 2, 2013.

1. Bobby Ginger

Bobby Ginger Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    Headed north on 95, I should be IN!
  2. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    I might have company tomorrow, but if not I'll come by for a while before the game.

ROLL TIDE !!!
  3. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Looks like company's coming.

Any hints on changing rear brake pads on a Harley? Are they dumber than regular bikes? :freaky
  4. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:

Harley's have rear brakes??? Somebody better tell this pirate... :D

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/57JwGSD8h-w?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/57JwGSD8h-w?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  5. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:

I thought they only had rear breaks. :lol3
  6. Chicken Helmet

Chicken Helmet I'm A Stumperâ„¢

Oddometer:
    Harleys spend more time on trailers than my KLR's why does it need the rear brakes changed? Corrosion?:norton
  7. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The BMW GS ride was a success w/ Rich at the helm.
    Scott w/ his neat GSA from TX was a good addition & a surprise to meet on the trail. The select group of 7 BMWs & 1 Russian had no downings but made more than a few major snake tracks.

Well done Rich, much thanks
  8. Bobby Ginger

Bobby Ginger Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    I could easily see Rich as a professional ride coach, he is a natural.
  9. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Wish I could have made it.
  10. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think Carson would have made room for you
  11. roadking99

roadking99 Semper Fi Member of the 2024 GS Trophy Team

Oddometer:
    Perfect ride to get my sea legs on the GSA. Great to see everyone. Looking forward to more rides.

Btw. Missed Waybill. Kinda........he's a great guy to ride with....but the conversations about the rides usually go something like....Oh you will be fine...its big bike friendly...a lot of rain so the sand isn't too bad....recap of the ride Something like.....wow I have never seen it that bad.....missed you Bill. :lol3
  12. Bobby Ginger

Bobby Ginger Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    On your bike? You will be fine :deal

Impromptu Osceola ride this afternoon. Meet at 3pm at Olustee monument.

I am riding my DR but is does not really matter what you ride, will be staying on the roads, as I imagine the trails will be underwater.
  13. Bobby Ginger

Bobby Ginger Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    It was a nice day for riding. It could have been a few degrees cooler but the sky was beautiful. Alex and I went for a quick trip before the meet up.

60 miles on knobblies sucks, but then there is ONF!

[​IMG]

We stuck mostly to the dirt super highway the rails we pretty wet.

[​IMG]

Alex rides the six fiddy like a champ, time for a real dirt bike :deal

[​IMG]

Plugging the CADS by the lake.

[​IMG]

Aftermath of a small tip over.

[​IMG]

This was a fun little trail we only got down a half mile of so, but is was nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Navigating some of the puddles

[​IMG]

More dirt superhighway

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was bout fiddy miles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: Forgot to mention I ran out of gas Err I mean, I checked the DR's range on the way home. Fortunately WayBill was kind enough to check on me.
  14. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    It's true, I swear! :D
  15. roadking99

roadking99 Semper Fi Member of the 2024 GS Trophy Team

Oddometer:
    Great ride report. Look forward to some great rides this year!!
  16. hawkman

hawkman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice RR Caleb! Sorry I didn't get my pictures to you by press time. Great ride!!! There was some technical stuff with deep ruts hidden by high grass (1st gear for Hawkman; 2nd gear for Caleb). I got crossways with one and dropped the F650 for the first time.:muutt Take-away; I need to move good off-road boots to the top of my priority list. Some nice dry high-speed sections mixed in with some lengthy water sections. Caleb dismounted and walked across one mega puddle to make sure there weren't any deep holes then rode across uneventfully. After snapping a few pictures, I rode across just about 4 inches left of his line and dropped into a rut about 18 inches deep (add "waterproof" boots to top of list).

One photo I missed was Caleb stopped at an intersection trying to decide whether to go left, right or straight ahead. Well, the road straight ahead had a big sign that said "ROAD CLOSED." I'm pretty sure Caleb thought it said "FUN AHEAD!!!":wink: Anyway, before I could weigh in with what I thought might be the more prudent choice, Caleb and his trusty DR were disappearing down the one (you guessed it) labeled "FUN AHEAD." Not quite sure why it was closed, but it was a fun stretch with some pretty nasty ruts (mini canyons). I eased around them on the extreme edge of the road and Caleb, proving that there is more than one way to skin a cat, hit them straight-on at about 45 (or 75 mph). I'm happy to report his technique worked well and no ride critical DR650 parts were left behind.:clap

Note: Another take-away from the day was the need for a better way to communicate last minute pick-up rides. The CADS/ADV forum is great for longer term stuff, but the ability to put out a blast email or text would be better for the short fused stuff. I'm going to start adding names to a CADS "Group" contact list on my phone so that when I'm planning a ride I can get it out to everyone. Todd is working on a master list that should make it pretty easy to build. Riding with a buddy or two (or ten) is a lot more fun and a bunch safer.
  17. Bobby Ginger

Bobby Ginger Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl
    It was fun!

So maybe the spedo hit 70 once but it is 5mph off :evil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attempting not to get the DR it's dolphins

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fun Ahead!

[​IMG]

If this is as deep as you get in Osceola, it is a good day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

NO MAN! When you hit the rut, just pin it :D

[​IMG]
  18. hawkman

hawkman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now ya tell me! I thought you said "fin it," so naturally I dropped my feet in the water and started dolphin kicking my way across the puddle (small lake).:huh
  19. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Good idea Alex, could be beneficial.
  20. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Had to get down to Ouray for a couple days before heading home. Well a couple turned into three because it rained all day the first two, so no riding to speak of, except late each afternoon it would clear long enough to ride the KLR down 550 a ways and back, the rest of the time was spent hunkered down in the camper. Day 11.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well this was cool. Being a relative novice afficionado of Airstreams but veteran one of older MB's I couldn't hold myself back. Soon as I got settled I walked over, knocked on the door, and ended up staying a couple hours. :D Actually they were real nice (I knew they would be), Reggie and I think Susan from Texas, he restored all the wood and appliances and she did all the upholstery, it was beautiful inside. A 1959 18 footer, it weighs under 2000lbs! They were there for a good part of the Summer.

[​IMG]

The boys...waiting

[​IMG]

One of the cool things about Ouray is it'll always be a small town, it's out of room. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hmmm, slowpoke, a little erratic too, what to do?

[​IMG]

easy enough : )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little road that runs up the side of one of the mountains, ends at a forest campground that looks down on town.

[​IMG]

Day 12.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know, all pretty tame, stay tuned for day 13 though, it didn't suck : )