New dual sport rider in the Philly/Coal Region area. Looking for some trails.

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by 85turbo, Jan 29, 2013.

1. 85turbo

85turbo n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I just picked up a Triumph Tiger 800XC not to long ago and was just curious if someone can point me in the direction of some good off-road spots to ride. I'm sure this questions gets asked quite often. I work in Philly, but am originally from the Coal Region area (Shenandoah/Shamokin) area. I'm looking for anywhere around Philly or even up in the coal country!
    Thanks for any help!
  2. ktmdirtybiker

ktmdirtybiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sent you a PM
  3. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!!

Oddometer:
    I live in ST.CLAIR.
  4. solohvs

solohvs somewhere around the bend

Oddometer:
    My new (2012) BMW R1200GS is just about broken in and I'd like to start riding more in the dirt, too.

My F800GS was a handful off road, even with full Ohlins suspension. I'll be taking it easy for a while, but I wouldn't mind joining you for a ride once the weather breaks.

I can do day trips or longer - I haven't had much luck with "local" off roading.
    The Pine Barrens was good - I found the sand difficult.

Maybe I shoulda kept the 800?

Let's Ride. Brian
  5. tommu56

tommu56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Limerick here but not much local

tom
  6. Pops racer

Pops racer I'm OK.

Oddometer:
    Welcome, I only know of two places around Phila but I'm sure it's not legal. The coal regions would have more. I use to 4wl a highly modified Jeep up around shamokin, st clare, treverton, centralia. I would love to explore those area's on two wheels. I still have trails marked on my old Eagle explorer GPS.
  7. mrxinpa

mrxinpa Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer:
    NEPA Right at Base of Blue Mountain Ski Area .5 mi
    Hey I'm up north by Blue Mountain Ski Area . I've got some good rides for that bike in the area. Moderate to full off road if needed to checkout your bike or your skills.

Check over on the ADV Annual Rallies for the Jim Thorpe Smokin Hole Rally . David usually post something over there pretty soon announcing some dates. You'll definitely meet some folks to ride with on this forum!

Jeff
  8. tommu56

tommu56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    2nd vote Smoking Hole good ride.

tom
  9. RebelYell

RebelYell Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ride in st clair everytime Im out there I find more n more trails,I try to stay out of posted places/private property etc.I dont think a big 800 is a good trail bike its very very rocky out there.Ya drop a big dually like that you better have some one help you pick it up.
  10. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    OP prolly means off PAVEMENT but instead said off ROAD. That would be an iffy bike for doing much actual off ROAD (as in TRAIL) riding.
  11. mrxinpa

mrxinpa Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer:
    NEPA Right at Base of Blue Mountain Ski Area .5 mi
    I wouldn't want to be doing a lot of single track or stick farms / rock gardens but outfitted with crash bars and a good skid plate full knobby's and let's ride some power lines or "Off Pavement".

There's lots of Riding up here that I can take my VStrom or a buddies Yamaha Super Tenere on but have friends with KLR' s who get Squamish so It's really plenty to ride just depends on the rider and the risks they are willing to assume with their equipment.

We just got 8+inches at Blue Mountain overnight so we'll be out of the woods for a few more weeks. Soon as the weather breaks there will be some rides posted.

Jeff
  12. tommu56

tommu56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is me !!!!!

KLR and Squeamish = old fart on a bike:D

After knocking out my oil drain plug (even with bash plate) at the RORR ride I learned I wasn't ready for that type of single track.

Last years ride was great and I enjoyed it.
    The RORR ride was work in the single track and beyond my capabilities (the wiser side of my brain talking):evil

I just cant wait for this white stuff to go away!

tom
  13. wizze

wizze Wizze = Wise

Oddometer:
    Keep an eye out for Frank's spring adventure. I think he is planning early April as of now. It will most likely be similar to last years adventure style ride. We may do a big dog ride later in the year.