BMW R1150RT / 1200RT / R1250RT Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Hondo, Apr 28, 2010.

1. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer:
    On my '11 RT camhead, I've had the valves checked at 600 miles, 5,800 miles, 12,600 miles and 15,700 miles. So far no adjustments / shims needed. Next check will be between 23K and 24k miles...
  2. HeliMark

HeliMark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Add to the valves being pretty stable, my 2012 RT has 30K on it now and the valves have never been out of spec. I did change one to center it a little more, but it was still in spec, and would still be. Just did it to make it match the others.

Mark
  3. mwood7800

mwood7800 Banned

Oddometer:
    05 rt. 50000 miles never needed adjusted yet
  4. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Yesterday, I installed a new set of upper windshield arms. When I picked up the bike, the arms were either broke already or they broke on the trailer ride home. I tried. to order a replacement set, but the dealer forgot to order, which turned out good for me. Googling around, it turns out the stock units are prone to breakage and there is a nicer replacement available.

Installed them and adjusted my windscreen this morning and again this afternoon on my commute. Wow, I can have my helmet faceshield completely open and almost no buffeting hits my face.

Nice, nice, nice.
    5cottJohnson likes this.
  5. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    Add a Laminar Lip to the screen and even that buffeting will be gone. The lip also allows for a greater variance of how the wind hits you throughout the screens different positions. I've found a movement of 1/4 to 1/2" can make a big difference with the lip installed... tomp
    No I don't work for Leo, but have used his product successfully on around eight different bikes...
  6. Deek

Deek Deek / AdVentureMan

Oddometer:
    That's terrible. I hope they get your switch replaced ASAP and under warranty.

I NEVER use the kill switch for anything. I stop my engine when I "park" by lowering the side stand while in gear. If the engine stops making noise, I'm pretty sure the side stand is down. I am pretty concerned with those "gas station" or "garage" drops I've seen or heard of here......figure it's best to verify the side stand is down with a quick tap of the toe after the engine quits.

I like the idea of the hat over the ignition switch, but where do you put the Tyrolean hat when you're not parked?:D
  7. mwood7800

mwood7800 Banned

Oddometer:
    Aeroflow 100 %. Here's a used one. R1200 RT Windshields
    Cee Bailey Sport Windshield (great for summer riding) 75 dollars
    AeroFlow 175 dollars
    Price: 1
    E-mail: Paul C <pnhmpm@gmail.com>
    Posted Friday, June 28, 2013 at 5:06 pm (CDT)
    Direct link to this Ad: http://marketplace.ibmwr.org/ads/view/id/211923
  8. LeftCoastMan

LeftCoastMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I purchased a very low mileage 2011 RT with all the bells and whistles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Put on a few hundred miles. Still hate the seat, but my butt will learn. Thinking about a tank bag. Getting the BMW Comm system for my Schuberth helmet.
  9. mwood7800

mwood7800 Banned

Oddometer:
    The seat will always suck, the BMW comm is awful a sena smh 10 is better and cheaper. When my BMW tank bag yellowed (1 yr) I bought a touratech and liked it better, almost 200$ cheaper. Nice looking scooter.
  10. LeftCoastMan

Oddometer:
    I think the seat comfort is dependent on so many issues. And I just don't like the Harley shaped seats that everyone wants. They're not good for the twisties.

As for the BMW Comm, it works better with BMW's bluetooth, you get to use the thumb controller to change volume and channels, and it fits cleanly into a Schuberth C3 Pro helmet.

Can you point me to the Touratech tank bags? The nice one is about the same price as the BMW version. And I hate that yellowing plastic. You'd think they have that figured out.
  11. kellymac530

kellymac530 motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
  12. FlowBee

FlowBee Just me.

Oddometer:

+1. The OEM seats on BMWs always suck. I wonder if Bangle also designs these...? The only years the BMW seats didn't suck were the ones where they outsourced them to Corbin. My '90 K75SA had an OEM Corbin and it didn't suck.

My RT has a Russell leather dual half-moon. It took 2000 miles to really break in, but now it's properly comfy. The only downside of a Russell is the looks. But then again it kinda fits the RT avant-garde-ugly style.

Tank bag - I use the Touratech Flat tank bag. Love it! I've modified the rear strap to use a standard fastex 1" clip on nylon straps instead of their velcro fitting. This allows me to quickly unclip the bag and take it with me, or just loosen the front clips and fold it back for refueling. The velcro on the top has faded to gray, but otherwise it's been a great alternative to the OEM bag.

FB
  13. JBADV

JBADV searching for sanity

Oddometer:
    Once the BMW tankbag plastic is junk , I'll get the plastic replaced . I really like the BMW tankbag . Fits great , a good size , and the quick connect mount is the best tankbag mount I've ever used . They all have good and bad points . YMMV :D
  14. JBADV

JBADV searching for sanity

Oddometer:
    Nice color . Congratulations .
  15. LeftCoastMan

Oddometer:
    Wait. That plastic can be replaced? I wonder if that's on your video. :evil
  16. LeftCoastMan

Oddometer:
    I think Chris Bangle is long gone from BMW. I'm still not a fan of the new 5 series.

I had one BMW with a decent seat. A chromehead 1200C. I could ride that bike for hours without complaint. Though it didn't have a lot of spirit in the mountains, although it did have a boatload of torque. I miss the 1200C. I might have bought one if they were still making them.
  17. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Close, but not the same guy!:lol3

Jim :brow
  18. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    I went with the BMW comfort seat over the stock. It (to me) is more comfortable and puts me closer to the ground. The BMW comm system replaced the SRC in my Schuberth and IMO is a far superior product.
  19. Deek

Deek Deek / AdVentureMan

Oddometer:
    Agree on the tank bag; Touratech is great. I have a Sena and it works good, but I have not experience with the BMW.Schubert one.

Don't agree the seat is that bad. I had mine rebuilt on the 2013, but never bothered on the other R1200RTs. Personal preference.
  20. FlagRS

FlagRS Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer:
    agreed - sweet looking bike :thumb