The 950 Super Enduro, Wyoming 2 tracks, and a stretch of I-80

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    Always enjoy your reports. After my attempt at Alaska I've come to realize that this is the type of riding I'd rather be doing.

Carry on, good sir. :lurk
  2. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    We wound up in Jeffrey City by chance, just as we end up in most places. Blurry had fueled up in Rawlins and I in Medicine Bow. We were heading for the Wind Rivers Range and it didn't think we had enough fuel (obviously) to make it to Riverton or Lander. It turns out it did no good to go to Jeffrey City because the five gas stations that were there at one time were all closed.

This place seemed desperate. Strange vibe.
    [​IMG]

At that point, out of the only establishment open in the town, the bar, steps out little Brooke. Out of what seemed like a hopeless town came this amazing little shining star that was so bright that she gave me hope for the place. She was so welcoming to us it took me off guard. She hardly weighed enough to hold the door open but kept offering her hospitality. She was very talkative. I thought, 'how can such a harsh environment produce such a wonderful little girl?'

Then she lays it on us: ‘why do you guys ride those things?’ Having picked up on her intelligence, I could only think she was referring to the Super Enduro rather than motorcycles in general. We had no good answer. At that time, the three of us became aware of what idiots Blurry and I are.

Brooke was at the age of pure innocence and I truly wish her the best for what’s ahead for her.
    [​IMG]

While we were talking with Brooke, another guy came by and said he had a little gasoline he could spare to get us down the 20 mile stretch to where there was gas. He wouldn’t take any money either. Perfect. Another ‘in your face’ reminder of how to treat people.

Turns out that I only put in about 5.6 gallons of fuel which means there was almost three gallons still left?!?! The orange aftermarket Safari tanks are very difficult to judge how much fuel is in them. For long rides I have an orange 6.6 Acerbis tank for my 520 which you can see the fuel level through. No dice with the Safari tank. For the Super Enduro, I suggest the white Safari tank like Blurry has so you can see the fuel line. It appeared that I had a minor fuel pump issue as the fuel wasn’t getting pumped into the carbs after the fuel in the tank had gotten lower than the carbs. The bike will run fine with no fuel pump as long as the fuel level is higher than the carbs. Nonetheless, we were back to opening gates in no time!!
    [​IMG]

Another inconsequential creek crossing.
    [​IMG]

A few words on river crossings.

We love crossing rivers on motorcycles. Why is that? I suppose it’s because there’s a chance that you won’t make it and most males seek that unknown and always want to challenge it. During day rides in southern Utah, we often will do what some of our friends refer to as an ‘unnecessary river crossing’. Actually, it is necessary for training purposes. Plus, we like to see people sweat a bit as they attempt a crossing that might not go just right. A bunch of our bros hate it when we stop at a river and one of us walks it. If we’re walking it, that means we’re concerned we might not make it but we're going to attempt it.

Yep, we’ve drowned numerous bikes. Hydro-locked the cylinder by sucking water through the intake as well as filling a crankcase full of dirty river water. Bikes and riders have been completely submerged after getting pitched off something you can't see in the murky water. A soaked air cleaner is not uncommon as well as spark plug wiring becoming too wet to fire. Pulling the drain plug on the float bowl to let water out is another common occurrence. We’ve learned the hard way how to bring a bike back to life under all these conditions. We’ve learned how to judge whether to hit the crossing full speed perhaps landing in the river after jumping off the bank or to just putt across slow in first gear. Better make sure to grease your wheel bearings and shock linkage after riding with us. In my opinion, practicing 'unnecessary river crossings' pays off time and again.

So, the point of this rambling is that I think the LC8 in the Super Enduro may be the ultimate engine ever designed for river crossings. The reason being is the placement of the carburetors so high above the cylinders and pointing upward. The stock airbox (not shown in the photo) that actually covers both carbs is an exceptional splash guard as well. The wiring is tucked up high where it may not become as soaked as other bikes. The deepest river I have crossed so far with the Super Enduro didn’t even come close to pushing it’s limits and was around 2.5 feet deep. I’m looking forward to experiencing how this bike does with more challenging crossings.
    [​IMG]
  3. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another great RR!
    Thanks
  4. skian g

skian g Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Totally In! love your riding and writing styles!
  5. Haywood

Haywood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chula Vista,CA (spittin' distance from Baja)
    Pictures are not coming through. Or is it just me?
  6. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here , those pics posted a couple days back were great and now not allowed to come through.

Hope Joe can fix things, this is one neat RR

Good luck on the fix.
  7. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    OK. Little delay with the story due to a road ride to Maine.

Now, where was I?
  8. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    We stumbled onto a pipeline heading toward Lander. Two track super highway.
    [​IMG]

All of a sudden, the vast plains we had been riding through abruptly stopped at about a 1000 foot relief.
    [​IMG]

We found a route switch backing down.
    [​IMG]

This is what it’s all about out here.
    [​IMG]

The two tracks criss cross in a crazy pattern out here. Finally, after working through the maze we were on the last stretch into Lander.
    [​IMG]

A quick stop for food, gas and beer.
    [​IMG]

We climbed into the Wind River Range looking for a campsite for the night.
    [​IMG]

Of course we’d have to descend a really rocky trail that dead ended, only to climb back up it.
    [​IMG]

We found another route that was more well traveled and started down it.
    [​IMG]

We hit the bottom and find a perfect campsite right on the creek.
    [​IMG]

As I stated earlier, stoves are frowned upon by minimalists. A metal cup and what we refer to as the ‘adjust-a-fork’ are all that is needed.

I somehow didn’t have an adjust-a-fork along with me in Michigan so I quickly came up with something else that I deemed the ‘meat rod’. A single metal rod for cooking meat. More minimal than a fork!! I thought it was brilliant. Turns out, the adjust-a-fork is superior. meat just spins on the single rod making it impossible to turn over. Oh well.
    [​IMG]
  9. redog1

redog1 KTM 950se old fart

Oddometer:
    The bike I lust for. one day, maybe next year I'll start my search. :D
  10. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    I totally love sleeping out under the stars!! It is so refreshing. No tent to hassle with packing and unpacking. We woke up well rested and had our croffee.
    [​IMG]

We decided that we wanted to get up near the headwaters of the Green River since we spend quite a bit of time around it in Southern Utah. So we hopped on the pavement because we can. The Super Enduro is no doubt capable of chewing up pavement. In an hour we were in Dubois where we would leave the pavement again.
    [​IMG]

We start climbing toward the continental divide.
    [​IMG]

The roads were well maintained at this point.
    [​IMG]

Here we are looking off to the west of the divide.
    [​IMG]

We take a route that gets us off the beaten track a bit.
    [​IMG]

This crossing was a bit deeper than the previous and A LOT more rocky but still childs play for the Super Enduro.
    [​IMG]

Man, talk about nice riding!
    [​IMG]

Forest fires are common around the west in the summer. This one had been burning for a few days. It was relatively small. The headwaters of the Green River are to the right of the smoke.
    [​IMG]

This is the type of riding we live for.
    [​IMG]

The Super Enduro is such a versatile bike. It swallows freeways to get you into this type of terrain. A 950cc dirt bike? Totally ridiculous……..
    [​IMG]

We continue down these awesome trails toward the Green.
    [​IMG]

The route improves a bit along the Green.
    [​IMG]

Then we stumble onto this character. He’s been living on public land since 1987 he claimed. He had a small Yamaha road bike of some sort that he would haul inside his trailer when he moved locations. He’s been building his trailer along the way. Among numerous quotes that had us belly laughing, he stated we were in a ‘vagrants paradise’. Well said.
    [​IMG]
    Tallbastid likes this.
  11. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Am enjoying this rr. I've been through there. I loved the Wind River Range. Do you have tents? I always run into rain. What do you do when the roads mud up and you have to wait it out to firm up?
  12. Longbow

Longbow Vroooom

Oddometer:
    :lurk Looking forward to more !!!
  13. blake716

blake716 nine toes

Oddometer:
    I rarely ever take pictures when I ride, so I never have anything to share.

On the other hand. you never fail to give a kick ass ride report. Keep it coming. Looks like a lot of fun. Especially on that beast of a dirt bike.
  14. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    Great RR!! Keep em coming. Ima try this Croffee :rofl
  15. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    We didn’t want to take any pavement as we descended out of the Wind River Range so we started working on an adjacent more obscure route.
    [​IMG]

We were really liking these fairly unused routes. The bikes were performing just as they should.
    [​IMG]

We worked our way into Pinedale, fueled up, got some grub and beer and continued on in search of our next perfect camp site wherever that might be.
    [​IMG]

The two tracks we had hoped for just kept unfolding before us!! Two tracks are not quite as good as single tracks in my opinion but man, they have their place! You can make pretty good time on these things.
    [​IMG]

We spied some trees up on a mesa where we thought we might find a campsite with a view and some wood to burn. So, we decided to try a little climb on the big bikes. We both made it up without any concern. Again, the Super Enduro is quite a capable dirt bike, you just can’t let her know you’re intimidated!!
    [​IMG]

Man!! Talk about a great campsite!! Too bad the wind was a steady 20mph with higher gusts. Way too much for a campfire and a relaxing night. However, from our sweet vantage point, we spotted another lower mesa with trees on it as well. We descended.
    [​IMG]

Perfect. I swear, you can’t go wrong finding the best campsites out here!! We leaned up against the front tire and started chugging whiskey and beer.
    [​IMG]

In no time we were telling the same stories and having the same conversations we had the night before and the night before that!! That’s what’s brilliant about being loaded; all the same old stories are brand new again!!
    [​IMG]
  16. Osadabwa

Osadabwa Don't be Surprised

Oddometer:
    Now I'm homesick.
  17. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Salt Lake City Utah (formerly Park City/Heber)
    liking this one... extra sarcastic...

we were up there last weekend. killer...

[​IMG]
  18. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Nice shot Diesel! We didn't have any of that along on the 'no girlz allowed' journey but I'm definitely not apposed!
  19. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    The next morning we started out just where we had left off - two track heaven!
    [​IMG]

Seriously! It just goes on and on!!
    [​IMG]

We hit some gravel and made our way into town for fuel. We would be getting into a new set of hills afterward.
    [​IMG]

After bashing big rocks on the climb up to the pass, Blurry’s front was a casualty.
    [​IMG]

We have had so many flats over the years that it’s just a big game to us now. It usually goes something like this. Victim figures out how to initiate the repair and commences. Bystanders (officially termed ‘hecklers’) start a timer and crack a beer. Lot’s of blah blah blah spews from the hecklers as the source of the flat is revealed. The flat is categorized according to amount of holes, severity, and type. This one was a ‘text book’ single class 3 snake bite. Keep in mind that a single ‘snake bite’ actually consists of two holes. A double snake bite is when you pinch the tube on both sides of the rim producing 4 holes. The most rare flat is the dual double snake bite which I’ve only successfully accomplished once and consists of a double snake bite to both the front and rear tires simultaneously. I really clobbered a rock at high speed that time. It resulted in a two beer heckler session. Blurry patched these and we were rolling again.
    [​IMG]
  20. Staxrider

Staxrider dirt dauber

Oddometer:

Voile should offer you some kind of sponsorship. You mentioned these straps in a ride report about 5 years ago and that's all I ever use now. These things are indestructible.