Known issues for a Sherco 290? Setting up for a tall rider?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by B1, Jul 17, 2013.

1. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    looking at getting into trials. very few bikes for sale in oz, only one in my price range of around $4000 is a Sherco 290 2011 model. and this one is going for $5000. might sound like a lot but we always pay more here for any bike... :huh

he says he's done the chain and sprockets, so i figure it's had a lot of use. trials riding would take ages to wear these out i assume.

just wondering if anyone knows what to look out for with these models? a bit of searching just turns up carbie issues. seems they can starve for fuel with more aggressive moves, and can get water in them after washing the bike?

also i'm six foot four so always have to mount my bars forward and up, then drop the rear pegs down and back, to get comfy on my dirt and adventure bikes. are there any trials bikes more suited to tall freaks of nature like myself? or is it just fit high bend bars and/or risers and just make do? any help appreciated.

[​IMG]

this isn't the actual one i'm looking at. sure looks sweet!
  2. Longboardr

Longboardr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Modern trials bikes have a little more distance between the pegs and handlebars than other bikes. You'll likely at most have to add risers.
  3. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    thanks, i was hoping that would be the case. and i did read that as you get more experienced you can roll the bars forward a bit too...

just to complicate the issue, a 2002 beta rev 3 has just popped up locally for a lot less than the sherco... $2500. heading out to have a look this afternoon. the known issues i could find googling around are:

carbie tuning, electrics, sticky clutch, big jump from first to second gear, magnesium cases corroding if the wrong coolant is put in.
  4. Dorian

Dorian huge carbon footprint

Oddometer:
    Man those Shercos are sure gorgeous looking bikes!

I used to ride trials back in the mid-late 70's (Bultaco Sherpa-t's, Montesa Cotas etc) but moved on to enduro, MX and now dualsport/adv bikes. After a loooong time away from the sport I spent a lot of time in the past few months on a nice '12 Sherco 2.9 a friend let me ride. $5,000USD to buy it. Wow - have trials bikes changed! He had a '06 Beta Rev-3 270 fixer-upper (read thrashed and in need of a complete rebuild motor and all) for cheap so I bought that and I've completely re-done the bike and have about $2K into it. I decided to ride the Beta instead. Besides the price difference of $5K vs $2K (a big deal to me) I find the Beta easier to ride at my novice level. It is old-school; more stable, slower handling with a nice even spool-up of power right off of idle. Kinda reminds me of my old Bultaco, left side kick start and all. The Sherco on the other hand is a lot "jumpier"; more lively suspension and quicker handling with a quicker (snappier) power delivery. Granted it's a 2012 and my Beta is a 2006 model but the comparison is similar to yours.

The Sherco got ahead of me a lot of times. Often I couldn't "keep up" with it - especially when I got a bit tired. The Beta is way more forgiving for me and therefore, more fun to ride - longer. I think I can ride the Beta better than the Sherco - for now anyway. The Sherco will let you advance more easily/quickly if that's your end game? But you can go far on the "old" Beta too - as always it's the rider, not the bike.

As for Beta-specific problems: none are show-stoppers. What bike doesn't have them? Not sure about the '02 tranny vs the '06 but there is not a big jump from first to second gear on my '06 gearbox. It's very close in fact! I might fit some bar risers but since I'm tall I figure my arm length is proportionate to my leg length so I shouldn't need them? But I'm going to try some because I get a hell of a neck cramp trying to look up the road!

Either way you'll have fun!

Cheers, Dorian
    PS: I'm 6'3" 245lb (should be 210 :1drink)
  5. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm on my 3rd Beta and love them, The coolant corrosion is rare and a combination of wrong coolant left in too long and the bike sitting for years. If the bike has been used regulary and some coolant changes done it should be fine. On the carb I just went up one size on the pilot jet and it was a done deal. Runs great all the way to 6,000ft. The clutch was good on all 3 of my Betas I think the previous owner put the upgraded plates in.. easy fix.

I think the Betas are well built and just go forever. At least my Techno and Rev3 did. Hope the Evo is just as solid.

BTW.. I'm 6'2" and left the bars stock on my Rev3. The guy I got the Evo from is even taller and did not like the tall bars on the Evo. He went back to stock height. I do not see an issue with low bars when standing. It's better for steep climbs to be low.
  6. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    thanks for the detailed replies, very helpful.

dorian, i had a ride on the rev 3 yesterday.good condition for a 2003 model. nice power delivery as you mentioned. the owner backed up what you said. the sherco may suit better if i will definitely be serious and want to progress fast. but the rev 3 will easier and still a decent bike. re: first and second gears, i read that they closed the gap on the 2004 models onward.

DrKayak, he said the previous owner spent ages doing all sorts of mods etc. no carbie issues, easy start hot or cold, no clutch creep once warmed up so i'd assume he's done the epoxy resin on the mag cover, first thing i'd check if i buy.

i'm 205 lbs and not sure if i'd need to respring the bike. i was close to bottoming it out front and rear with my feeble attempts to bunny hop.

tires are old, the rubber is fairly hard and there are cracks between the knobs particularly on the rear. assume this would still be okay to ride on but would need a new set if i want decent grip.

rear brake all good, but very little strength on the front and a nasty squeal when applied hard. figure i could sand the pads back or just buy new ones and hopefully it would come good. doesn't appear to need bleeding.

hopefully test ride the sherco 290 2011 on monday and decide!

not the actual rev 3 i looked at below, but pretty much the same bike....

[​IMG]
  7. Dorian

Oddometer:
    B1,

Chime in with a pic of your new bike - whichever one you get. Happy bike shopping! :thumb

- Dorian
  8. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What are the prices of new bikes down under?
  9. rokhopr

rokhopr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'5" and had a 2002 250 and Yes all these apply: carbie tuning, electrics, sticky clutch, big jump from first to second gear, magnesium cases corroding if the wrong coolant is put in.

You will need bar risers and the jump from 1st to 2nd gear is annoying. The 2002 would be okay to start with but the Evo's will provide more roominess for your size than the Rev's and for that reason alone I'd recommend Evo's they are that much more comfortable and you will them ride better. I've had the 2002 [250], 2004 [270], 2006 [270], 2008 [270], 2011 [200], 2012 [250]

Good luck.
  10. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just drop the countershaft down 1 tooth. That way you can ride second most of the time. Will make a fine first bike if in good shape.
  11. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Previous Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi B1, I bought my first trials bike a few months ago (08 Beta Rev3). Great bike and easy to ride but I do find the riding position hurt my back after 1/2 hr or so standing. Fitted 30mm risers from my 690 on to it and made a big difference. I'm 6'1".

If your anything like me you'll love riding these things. All the best with the purchase and look forward to seeing some B1 trials videos :D
  12. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    haven't put a lot of research into it as can't afford it, but looks like around $10000 for the 280s to 300s. list of dealers here. that will probably increase now our dollar is no longer on parity with the US. we have regular rants over the cheap bikes and parts there even when our dollar was strong. :baldy

noted: drop a tooth on the front sprocket if second gear is a bit too steep if a get the beta. chain & sprockets were half worn so probably doing the front sprocket to prolong wear if i buy that one.

yep, bar raisers are first up. although i read a lot about not overdoing this and getting used to crouching. great to hear you are enjoying your beta! actually b2 and i got trials bikes last year but he only did three rides then sold up. i had to as well since i can't trailer a bike and it was kept at his place. bought a converted chinese bike from an inmate here, heavy as but fun to do some basics on. already did our first trials noob vid but boring as bat shit... no skills whatsoever. :lol3

<iframe width="720" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EYxjI3xB6Us?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  13. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Previous Rider

Oddometer:
    Yup you have to experiment a bit to get the right set-up. The riding style is so different to ADV or enduro bikes so you do have to accept you will be riding a bit "hunched". I fitted a seat to mine (cheating I know :wink:) but has really allowed me to ride for longer periods. Once I get to "pro level" I can always take it off - so looks like its gonna be a permanent fixture :lol3

Loved the video, you got some cool places to ride over the ditch mate.
  14. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    You have to start some place. It looks like your having fun, keep up the practice...

Welcome to the dark side! :smile6
  15. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    a mate with two sherco 290s invited me over to try his bike yesterday. for a trials noob i think we did some pretty challenging stuff and i was knackered! would have loved a seat to just relax occasionally. did you make your seat up or can you buy them for shercos?

here she be, delivered last night! the guy only said good condition but it's like new. i've heard a lot of trials riders are anal when it comes to looking after their bikes. suits me fine! he's thrown in extras too.. a spare rear guard, another rear tire with little use, a pile of sprockets, possibly a trials helmet too if it fits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Dorian

Oddometer:
    Congrats B1, very nice! That does look like new! You're right, trials riding is a lot of work! I don't remember it being that hard 30 years ago :lol3

Funky tank/gas cap location on those bikes. If you ride in the mud put a short strip of duct tape over the gas cap after you fill up. It will keep mud from accumulating around the recessed filler hole and makes refueling quick and easy in wet conditions.

Cheers, Dorian