KTM freeride 350

Discussion in 'Australia' started by itinerant-in-oz, Nov 8, 2011.

1. podge NT

podge NT Podge NT

Oddometer:

I would have thought they will do about 100 km on the standard tank. I dont think you would want to go much further on one of these. Great bike but definately not a long haul bike.
  2. One67

One67 Tell 'em the captain sent ya.

Oddometer:
    Cool, keep us informed.
  3. Tiggs

Tiggs Dreamin of Adventure

Oddometer:
    I agree, I think extra on board fuel would upset the balance of this bike too much to be worthwhile. Perhaps because its design brief is as a light weight difficult trail/trials bike then maybe carry the bike by ute or trailer to a location to play at, and carry the extra fuel with your vehicle as a base. Just putting the idea out there. I personally like riding to my trails, but like a trials bike, sometimes it's not practical.
  4. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Myself and a scurvy mate used to ride our twinshock TY's up in the mountains behind Canberra, and if we rode them out there we'd each take a 4 litre oil container of fuel and leave it in the bush where the dirt starts, or if we trailered them we'd sometimes leave them at the halfway point on longer rides as a fuel dump. The Ty's held 5 litres of fuel, and if you took it easy you could ride for a long time and a fair way on a tank, 100 k's wasn't out of the question, not bad for 2 strokes.
    So there is always a solution to a problem.
  5. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:

will do

but we might have to take it to pm's so I don't get an angry mob forming outside my house for upsetting the balance of life.
  6. One67

One67 Tell 'em the captain sent ya.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's probably safer that way :D
  7. jimbo74

jimbo74 Trail Trundler

Oddometer:
    Keen to hear how you get on with the extra fuel option. The best thing I've found so far is a little tank that holds about 3l that sits on the rear mudguard, but plumbing it in is going to be the problem.
  8. milzispete

milzispete is it supposed to look like that?

Oddometer:
    The Extra's I bought finally arrived and I had some time to fit them and then it all went horribly wrong.
    So a quick summary for those about to order.

Rekluse clutch kit fits great except the hydraulic slave cylinder is tapped for a 10mm bleed/banjo fitting instead of the factory 8mm hose. Custom hose required. No big deal vs the AWESOMENESS of running a Rekluse

KTM lowering kit. This isn't a simple external spacer kit. The forks and rear shock need to come apart to fit them ( and I do mean the shock damper ). The shorter side stand seems simple enough though :wink:

I also fitted Tubeliss front and rear inner bladders to replace the inner tubes which have been fantastic with the OEM tires

Highway dirt bike hand guards also fitted and they are the Sh!t. Unbelievable quality and strength. You will need a good vice mounted to bedrock as they take bit of bending to fit. Only about 10mm but the force it takes will astound you

KTM sump guard, rear and front brake disk protector all fit like they came from the factory. Which the don't by the way as all fasteners are Allen's keys and don't match any other fitting on the bike
  9. pete40

pete40 Life Behind Bars

Oddometer:
    Care to share a pic of that for us?
  10. brent j

brent j VMX Tragic

Oddometer:
    I bought a Freeride last week after trying a demonstrator.
    The demo had been derestricted and was on knobby tires. Mine is standard with untouched airbox and mufflers and original tires.

While I loved the handling and weight I wasn't taken with the power characteristics of the demo. I assumed (hoped!) it would be smoother with out the derestricting mods and was prepared to alter my riding style to suit.

When mine was delivered the dealer asked if they could install a softer tune in the ECU at the request of KTM Aust. I agreed and this has really made the bike. It is so much smoother than the demo right down to idle. I had trouble with the demo being very easy to stall.

I'm making a bash plate as the KTM accessory unit is about $270 and there are (as of Wed) 55 on back order. I’m not that impressed with the coverage of this unit either so mine will cover the water pump and at least half of the flywheel cover. I do ride in very rocky areas.

I’ve also found the rear spring is too soft even with my 83kg weight. I hope have a new spring by the end of this week then I can set the thing up properly. The handling is fantastic now but I’m looking forward to seeing what it will be like with proper suspension.

This bike is the closest thing to perfect for the riding I do.
  11. jimbo74

jimbo74 Trail Trundler

Oddometer:
    I would be really interested to hear and see more about this Rekluse clutch kit if you could please? Has it robbed any power from the bike? I don't know much about these things – is it just like having one big centrifugal clutch? Has it added any weight?
  12. Oz Nutter

Oz Nutter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here, give us a rundown...
  13. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    no added weight you could detect. they don't rob power. i installed it on a different bike but the benefits and issues i found with the basic EXP model will be pretty similar to those on any model, read here.
  14. brent j

brent j VMX Tragic

Oddometer:
    I fitted a heavier rear spring tonight and the bike sag and rider sag are now to KTM specs.

The standard spring SHOULD have suited my weight but was too light. Ride time tomorrow (RDO) so it will be interesting to see how it performs.

I strongly believe suspension is the first and most important thing to set up on any bike
  15. brent j

brent j VMX Tragic

Oddometer:
    The heavier spring works a treat. This bike just keeps getting better!
  16. milzispete

Oddometer:
    Well written review mr B1. The only thing I would add is the 350 kit comes with a hydraulic slave cylinder which can be adjusted externally, making initial set up a bit easier. It also means the Rekluse can be disengaged and the bike can be bump started.
  17. jimbo74

jimbo74 Trail Trundler

Oddometer:
    I rang the dealer the other day to make some enquiries and discuss this and he said that Rekluse has "pulled" the product for the freeride for now and they are going to tweak it/adjust it and bring it out later in the year. I can't quite remember who I spoke to but I think it might have been Suttos?
  18. milzispete

Oddometer:
    Did he say what was wrong with the unit?
    apart from the incorrect banjo fitting and an extruded o-ring everything else seemed to fit fine.

a couple of pics installed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. milzispete

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the later reply. It took me awhile to get around to opening an online photo albums.

A few pics of the sump guard

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recently pulled all the restrictors out if the exhaust and opened up the filter cage.
    To get some more fuel down its gut I fitted a bazzaz z-fi fuel controller.

The bikes been geared up 2 teeth on the front and it was a bit dead but now the restrictors are pulled out and the mapping done it goes like stink.

The 12t front sprocket allows the rider to keep up with the big bikes on the transport sections (130kph easily doable) yet it wil still idle along in first gear at walking pace without any threat of stalling.

It's a great motor and gearbox.