What Did You Do To Your KTM Today?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by DeeGee, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
  2. JK1

JK1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fitted a orange Oberon clutch slave xD
  3. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
  4. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, no wear. It was very clean and no sign of problems at 36,000 miles. The nikasil looked great, but the shop owner did give the cylinders one twist of a honing stone. I suggested against it, but he said he has done that to hundreds of KTM engines, and it works as long as you only do it very, very lightly. That's probably what you are seeing. Beyond that, it's just the lighting (and my poor photo editing). :lol3
  5. loph917

loph917 Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    made it a twin.
    [​IMG]

cleavage shot
    [​IMG]
  6. BykBoy

BykBoy Meshuganeh Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Replaced the stock handlebar:

[​IMG]

With a ProTaper KX High Bend from HDB:

[​IMG]

The ProTaper came with the w/Threaded Inserts already installed :deal. The HDB Handguards fit better on the new bars than on the stock.

The new bars do not come pre-drilled with the holes for the right starter and left controls assemblies.

The differences between the bars are very subtle. The tips of the new bar are a little higher and it has less pullback. As a result, the new bar is a little wider and taller than stock. This means the grips are slightly more horizontal so the outside of my palms are not pointing down towards the ground as much as on stock.

Didn't get a chance to take it out for a long ride yet, but initial impressions is positive.

:clap
  7. kaptinkaos

kaptinkaos Just some nOOb

Oddometer:
    Sans crash bars... and rode it hard. Blew a fork seal, probably dented my front rim, had a blast!!!

[​IMG]
  8. gozirra

gozirra Spam?

Oddometer:
    Actually moved the bike from storage (950A S), registered it, spooned off a front tire and mounted a newer and enjoyed my handy new tire mounting tool (http://kauritmoto.com), pulled the wheel a second time to replace front wheel bearings and seals and clean and grease the rest.

Tonight - possibly a waterpump rebuild, coolant flush, oil change and filters, handgrips, kickstand relocate, crash bars and stud upgrade, dual fans, spark plugs, fuel line refresh and quick disconnect fittings added to the lines. oh and scotcbrite pad the headers to remove fossilized mud and dirt, contemplate checking the valves and swingarm bearings and rear wheel bearings.

ok so maybe that will be over the next few nights. (weeks):rofl
  9. Katoom72

Katoom72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The stock bars are horrible (for me atleast) I got the Renthal fatbar with the TP199 bend. It's money well spend for me. I always bend my palms outwards when i put my elbows up so since the stockers are bend inwards to mutch igot a really uncomfortable feeling, especially standing up while putting my weight on the front.
  10. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. amanlikemike

amanlikemike Recovering Speedfreak

Oddometer:
    I did this:
    [​IMG]

Because of this:
    [​IMG]

... Particularly, this hot mess:
    [​IMG]

On the way home from NC, the bike started bogging at around 4,500rpm with low fuel in hot conditions or under heavy load. On top of the obvious fuel starvation issue - thanks to the Wisdom Of The Forum - this was also accurately diagnosed as the tanks sucking up too much heat and consequently fuel boiling up.

Hopefully, I wont have to concern myself with that particular little orange foible any more.

Thanks to CJRacer for his filter and O-ring kit, which made this process a fair bit less expensive than it could have been.

Cheers,

Michael
  12. gozirra

gozirra Spam?

Oddometer:
    What material did you use for this?
  13. kaptinkaos

kaptinkaos Just some nOOb

Oddometer:
    Broke a rear signal, got some sweet new scratches on the windscreen while maneuvering it under a fallen log on a rocky downhill section and the rear plastics vinyls are peeling off from my knees rubbing it with dirt combined, lol! Got some pretty good gouges in the skid pan, bark busters and fork guards too. Was a beauty day and only one minor get off on a sketchy little hump after a creek crossing. Nothing hurt in that one except my pride though... All that in only 60 kms, ha! I'm am gonna be pretty sore in two days though... Been a while since I had that kind of workout!

Time to shop for some new flush mounts... And pines after better suspension yet some more... Here's a bit of the single track I rode. GoPro batts died about 2 hours in (forgot to charge the backups derp) and we didn't take many pics... I wish I had, but the going was pretty tough and no one was in a picture taking mood.

[​IMG]
  14. BigNastybrp

BigNastybrp Big Nasty

Oddometer:
    I changed the bald 908r for the used 908r, I got from Chris :wave in the 90 deg heat in the drive way. was just over a hour the bad part was I am out of beer:huh. what was I thinking. tomorrow the oil change and Pack:clap
  15. DutchVDub

DutchVDub Adventurous Pirate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got mine safely home after having STM Suspension got through my forks. It rides down the interstate a lot better now. Before it was really twitchy when going over all the expansion joints on concrete sections of pavement. Now, its butter smooth. :clap
  16. xTomKx

xTomKx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mounted up a gps to the 990

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. amanlikemike

amanlikemike Recovering Speedfreak

Oddometer:
    I used this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E267J2/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are cheaper options, but I liked how thin it is. Plus, fitting it was a PIA and I figured the extra cash was worth [hopefully] not having to do it again.

I also shielded the inner side of the pump housing and had plenty left over, just in case. Smaller sheets are available, but I needed this in a hurry and that was the only size I could get in time.

Haven't had chance to see if it cures the issue yet, but so far I'm pleased with the way it adhered (all I did was clean and degrease the area prior to application) and am hopeful it will at least help delay things. If it doesn't, it could be time for a second fan and low temp thermostat switch, I guess... :puke1

Cheers,

Michael
  18. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
  19. DutchVDub

DutchVDub Adventurous Pirate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hell, I want to put that stuff on the bottom of my seat. :rofl
  20. gozirra

gozirra Spam?

Oddometer:
    I have used both the DEI tape in 2" and the reflective/kevlar adhered with a spray mount and tape, I figured you had used the sheet as I could not see any lines. (I will now be doing the same because yours looks so good)

Epic work, so clean.

You will no doubt see a difference - even with the lower quality stuff (think Lowes or HD tape) you will find that it really reflects heat well. (just the glue fails at like 200-300 degrees)

(dont fall into the its gold trap, silver works better till you hit the big $ material.):deal