Sacramento Riders Thread DS & ADV

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Parx400, Jan 16, 2012.

1. TahoeRider

TahoeRider Red Rider

Oddometer:
    That should be a fun day.. I spent some time this afternoon riding trails off of MRR and for the most part there isn't too much snow in the sunny places. There were a few fun spots up at higher elevation though like this section of Chicken Hawk Rd:

[​IMG]

Have fun on Saturday, I'll be stuck at work all day.
  2. luv2lean

luv2lean not lost til out of gas

Oddometer:
    Hey Juan,
    I just caught up with this post. The old GS is a keeper. It's done the Continental Divide, Copper Canyon, Baja, etc. You always have to compromise somewhere with dual sport/ adventure machines but this one is most often my go-to ride for longer dirt/street adventures. Thanks for posting the pix. (Damn ... I have a big head!)
    Hope we can do some riding when the snow clears.
    chris
  3. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe next time. Got four riders so far. We'll be heading west and north going through Colfax toward Chalk Bluff, hopefully staying below the snow. FH is at 3200 and there are still patches of snow halfway down to Auburn.

Can't see the pic. I have a trail off MRR, but it is very short. ;-)
    cheers
  4. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got tired of that mess real quick. Put three handles (two on lid, one at bottom that is used for emptying) on a screw-top haz mat plastic barrel and you are done. I chained it up for a few attempts so it wouldn't be carried off, but they learned quick after chewing on it some with no success and now they just tip over the neighbors' cans instead. Was funny to see them jumping and stomping on it, but the lid holds, as the threads are massive. Rubber sealing gasket on the lid is a bonus too.
  5. luv2lean

Oddometer:
    My schedule just opened up. Where in Foresthill are you meeting tomorrow? (pm sent)
  6. Mikey Boy

Mikey Boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. TroopThrowback

TroopThrowback Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was supposed to get the DVD for Christmas. Guess Santa didn't think I was a good boy! I'll be working so I can't attend the showing in sac. I'll just have to see what I get for my birthday... :(
  8. focallength

focallength Certifiable

Oddometer:
    anyone heading out saturday?

foresthill, georgetown area, downieville, nevada city. im good for anything, i havent been offroad in months.

let me know, i know foresthill typically shuts down the ohv area for winter, gotta protect us from ourselves, but georgetown usually is at least partially open. even some fire roads would be cool.

i get off saturday morning at 0630, if all goes well, maybe meet somewhere around 1030 or so depending on how far i have to drive.
  9. St.Stan

St.Stan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm working Sat. but I can report that Lowell Hill and Chalk Bluff roads are open and loopable. The mud bowls on the top of Chalk Bluff are full though. Heck, other than NF road closures almost everything is more or less snow free, you could probably make it all the way up to Graniteville without any serious problems.

Supposed to be some wet weather coming in next week, so this weekend might be your last chance.
  10. DoWorkSon

DoWorkSon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode Yankee Jim's, and around Gorman ranch area on Monday.... No snow and fairly dry.

Probably will do chalk bluff Monday
  11. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We should find a bit of everything; including pavement, FS roads, ST, and some snow/ice. Will be some pointless hillclimbs and maybe some sneaking around (only if lost, of course), so be comfortable with that. Easy bailouts at any time to meet up later or to go home early via I-80, etc. Should be back by dark or shortly thereafter. May not find anything as challenging as FH's T5 & T6 & WST, but you should be comfortable on stuff like that with your size of bike/skillset. Otherwise you may not enjoy parts of the ride. Stock fuel range should be fine.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Tea and crumpets during Eldo's trials demonstration at 8, roll out at 8:30ish

five3oh3sixseven3sixseven ate
  12. focallength

focallength Certifiable

Oddometer:
    Im a maybe, Ill have to check my schedules, may call in sick for this. :1drink
  13. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are four of us so far, likely five.
    Will go to Plan B and ride all legal stuff. Like WST outa FH and beyond. Black Diamond ST until snow too deep, then back to Plan A (Chalk Bluff/BR) if time.
  14. focallength

focallength Certifiable

Oddometer:
    Riding tomorrow, pm if interested
  15. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Great conditions on the trails above Nevada City @4-5000'! Dusty! -Fri 11 Jan.

Juan
    Nevada City
    KTM 350 EXC-F
  16. luv2lean

Oddometer:
    Almost too dusty yesterday ... but not anymore! Likely riding Chalk bluff single track tomorrow.
  17. Tr25w

Tr25w Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking for a husky 250/310

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  18. TroopThrowback

TroopThrowback Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gonna be checking out a 1972 XL250 tonight after work. Who says I don't need another project?
  19. EventHorizon34

EventHorizon34 n00b

Oddometer:
    Any short mid day rides today (Sunday)?
  20. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rolling out from FH by 9. Black Diamond ST (WST/FH T6 & T5), 2track (Soda Springs Rd), some road (FH). ~120 miles. Headed beyond snow/ice line, so choose a tire you like for that. No services along route.