Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. ScienceOfDirt

ScienceOfDirt U-Boat Rider

Oddometer:
    It will be a perfect winter to me if we get a couple of deep freeze nights to kill the bugs. All in all though, it was pretty easy. I still have the original tank of gas in the snow blower. I think I used it twice.
  2. z@ch

z@ch Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer:
    I went kayaking today, winter is over.
  3. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    Where did you go most interesting man in:ear the world?:ear
  4. z@ch

Oddometer:
    Just messed around in Big Walnut creek here in town, nothin crazy.
  5. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    All my kayaking friends say winter is the best season for it anyway. They all paddle in Southern Kentucky or Tennessee and have never stopped for it being too cold.
  6. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:

They still race them down the Scioto from the dam? Did that about 15 years ago. What Kayak do you have?
  7. vivid dadas

vivid dadas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I posted this by accident over in the tag thread, I'll move it here.

I talked to a couple of inmates here in OW today, I didn't get their names, one guy on a WR and the other on a cool looking BMW G450.

They were all geared up and looking for bad roads.I suggested Palmer and Coal Ridge.
  8. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    Well, if anyone wants to go scout trails around Springfield tomorrow post up. We can meet up at the Speedway off 54 and I-70 in South Vienna. Really wanna make it thru from the creek crossing to the next road.:deal

Plus I think the Saint Paris area needs some looking at. :evil
  9. z@ch

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure about that race, I'm new to this paddling stuff. I just have an entry-level 10 foot sit-in yak for now.
  10. BigOhio

BigOhio Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What bike are you riding and what time are you thinking. Need to get a little seat time after painting all day today.
  11. pfloydgad

pfloydgad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Luke,
    I'll go, but I need your KLR, definatly not my Connie. :wink:
    RSA,
    Greg
  12. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:
    I stopped in there back in january when I needed a new headlight bulb...I was less than impressed with the kid they had manning the counter. he tried to give me a 6v bulb that would not have even fit my housing. I left without a bulb and unless I happen to be in that area of Columbus, I see no reason to return.

should the Edelbrock cables become unobtainium, I may go that route.

there's one around the corner from me...I'll check with them, thanks.

the problem with the Edelbrock cables is that they need these plastic bits that go inside the throttle housing

[​IMG]

or else they'll rub the hell out of the housing and/or bind up...the brake cable I took off my mtn bike had something similar enough that fit inside the housing.

I have every intention of replacing the broken cable with a proper Edelbrock design, but it'll be at least 3 or 4 days before I can get one off ebay...meanwhile I wanted to ride today...so I did what had to be done...I MacGyvered it. And it held up nicely through 110 miles of Hocking Hills/Tar Hollow fun today.

I considered going up to Danville to meet Matt and Alan, but when I got up at 745 this morning...I just didnt have the energy to load up and drive that far...then I got a text from Big Steve suggesting he was gonna ride for a couple hours in a couple hours...so I napped until 1030 or so, when he texted again to say he was gonna be busy all day.

I dozed again for a half hour then finally got up and got going...Headed out about noon and took back roads down to the TH area. Never actually enterred the park, but I did hit most of the usual suspects...and a couple new ones...

On the way down, I hit P.Ridge rd as well as CP Hollow, took that all the way down to 50...then dipped below 50 and hit a couple decent gravel/dirt roads...looped around and then hit S.Branch which is the road that Mikef5000 wussed out on going down when he was there a couple weeks ago...it turns into a regular road shortly after the gnarly stuff, he'd have been just fine going down it. Anyway, I went UP that "road". I've got some video, but it'll be a day or two til I can get it edited.

later, this mean assed rock jumped right out in front of me on the "really greasy" road from the New Years Eve ride:

[​IMG]

resulting in my only fall of the day:

[​IMG]

anyway...the bike ran like a champ all day...until...I was about 10 miles from home....was passing the Johnston Covered Bridge at Clear Creek and McDonald roads:

[​IMG]

where it just died. No amount of kicking would get her to even cough. I thought maybe she was just hot and vapor-locking, so I pulled over by the bridge and let her cool down...nada...pulled the plug, but it looked ok...checked to see if it was sparking and best I could tell, it was not. So, I called the old lady to come get me in the truck, which she was kind enough to do...loaded up and went home, then went to the car wash and got the bike cleaned up. now she's in the garage waiting til wednesday before I'll have time to tear into her and see whats up.

all in all, I had a great day of playing hookey...even with the bike crapping out on me...at least it waited til I was mostly home...would have been shitty if it happened on one of those quad trails they call roads down there.

so, how was everyone elses day?
  13. buildit

Oddometer:
    Well, I'll be on the KLR. It's the tractor of the bikes I have. As for time, I don't care. 11am again? :D If it would be better we could always to a road and gravel ride down around TH?
  14. Solace

Solace Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tomorrow (Sunday) I'm heading down to Hocking Valley Motorcycle Club for their first Hare Scramble of the year. Mike and Kirk are racing the two-hour race starting at 12:30. I'll be watching and doing pit crew help.

Later,
    M
  15. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:

sounds like fun...wish I wasnt working til 2
  16. buildit

Oddometer:
    Well, Big Ohio has my number if he wants to come up and ride. For the rest of you who don't pm me by9am if you wanna come play. Otherwise I'll continue to ride lone wolf. :D
  17. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    I just got home from Indiana. I'll have some very cool video of it in a few days. Too tired to mess with it now.

You going to TH tomorrow? And doing the really gnarly stuff? :D I might be able to make it down there by noon. ;)
  18. buildit

Oddometer:
    No, If I go TH it will be on the V-strom. Otherwise I'll be local.
  19. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    Hmm, so what's the local stuff like? St. Paris old railroad tracks? I'm too tired to lug around the KLR so I'd probably bring the WRR...
  20. buildit

Oddometer: