Garmin Mac Software

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by GarminMac, Apr 14, 2008.

1. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Cool.
  2. bombarde

bombarde DL650AK7 - K75

Oddometer:
    So does City Navigator NA NT 2008 DVD for Mac have the same maps as the 2009 PC DVD?
  3. GarminMac

GarminMac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, City Navigator 2009 is brand new, the 2008 version is last years update. (Yes, I know the year-ahead thing is confusing, but I don't pick the names :D).

I have been told that the 2009 DVD is dual format (Mac/Windows) so the same DVD can be installed on either platform. Before you buy it read the packaging, but I am fairly positive that that is true.
  4. ghostryder

ghostryder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So If I am following this correctly, get the 09 version, download bobcat, pop in V09 and away it should go????
  5. Brent4ADV

Brent4ADV Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer:
    Or you can convert older maps on a pc and transfer them to your mac if you don't want to purchase new maps. But yes, you can do the above if you so please.
  6. ghostryder

ghostryder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks.
  7. X-Rated

X-Rated Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brian - can you please confirm whether or not the Mac compatible version of CN is ONLY for the USA version? I presume that Mac users from the rest of world are out of luck????

Al
  8. jaybob

jaybob Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    Please make this feature soon! It's near impossible to plan a route...maybe if I get a giant monitor...:clap

J
  9. GarminMac

Oddometer:
    The CN EU Map Update that came out earlier this year is cross platform and it installs to both Mac and your device. All future releases of CN EU will be Mac compatible as well.
  10. GarminMac

Oddometer:
    A feature to allow you to select level of detail will be in our next release.
  11. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  12. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I must say that converting my PC map files, then transferring to my MacBook over the network, etc. went VERY smoothly. Really nice to actually do some Garmin GPS routing under OS X.

However...am I correct in deducing that you can't, for example, "select maps surrounding route" then download maps to GPS device? Or select and download maps, period. Seems Bobcat has no map support of that sort. Or am I missing something (likely).

In any event, like others I am very happy to see these developments. Go Brian!
  13. GarminMac

Oddometer:
    Currently, you are correct. We are working on adding map transfers to Bobcat as we speak. Look for this ability in a future release.
  14. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    A really dumb question:

How do you delete waypoints off Bobcat? I've uploaded waypoints from both the 276 and the 2730 and I've got duplicates. I'm having problems deleting them.

Also,

When I did a download to the 276, Bobcat also transferred the tracks? Why would it do that? And how can I choose to download only the 1) waypoints, 2) maps, etc...

:wave
  15. AugustFalcon

AugustFalcon Long timer

Oddometer:
    The short answer is to use the delete key :D If you delete the waypoint or track or route in your MyCollection folder then they will disappear from that folder AND all the other folders you may have. But, it doesn't work the other way -- if you delete an item from a folder other than your MyCollection folder it only disappears from that folder.

As for downloads if you make a new folder in Bobcat and drag only those items you want to download into that folder and you then select that folder and tell Bobcat to transfer it will download only those items in the selected folder.

Bobcat doesn't do maps yet. Maps are downloaded to your GPS device using Garmin's MapInstall program.
  16. DennyIndy

DennyIndy Old F@rt

Oddometer:
    1. The ability to edit routes like Mapsource. ie select the route , click and drag it from one road to another.

2. The support of what has been called shaping points on the zumoforums.com site. These pointa (via or way whatever you call them) direct the route, but when the route is imported to a Zumo they are not flagged. The flags on a Zumo screen are very irritating nless I want to stop at that point. Those flags are much too large.

If the route is dragged to very specific and precise points those points will not be announced nor flagged by a Zumo. But they will keep the route on the roads that I selected.

You should also join at zumoforums.com We need you there too!
  17. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:

Hey, cool. :thumb

I was confused about deleting, as Mac OS normally drags to the trash can whenever one wants to delete. Actually using the delete key to delete sounds rather Windozy. :lol3
  18. Brent4ADV

Brent4ADV Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer:
    You can change the symbol that is displayed when using the route tool. Just double click the via point and change the symbol to something less imposing.
  19. DennyIndy

DennyIndy Old F@rt

Oddometer:
    Yes, but changes like that made on the computer do not transfer to the Zumo screen.
  20. khead

khead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now don't be giving away any secret spots there DR. Rock ---- we all know there's no riding there.....

This is all great news on the Garmin/Mac front.
    I'm officially starting to scrape the mold off my VentureCX