RI & Eastern CT Big Bike Drop-o-rama

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by mrt10x, Oct 5, 2010.

1. ridesdirt

ridesdirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It might have been me on my GSA wearing a rallye jacket and my white Shoei neotec. I was exploring up by RT 23 via Beech hill road, Gibbs road and North. I saw a lot of riders out Sunday around the TMT routes packed for
    overnights heading South.
  2. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    Everyone here knows that I suffer from a severe case of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).. I also have the other version of GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) along with BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome) and FAS (Fishing Acquisition Syndrome) which is a subset of GAS :D Off the top of my head I believe I have 8 tents in the gear locker. Now a couple of those are 15-20 year old REI tents that I only break out when the nephews want to go back packing with me, or other friends need gear.. and I also have lightweight backpacking tents, 4 season tents for snow camping, and a recently aquired 6 man tent like Rob's for car camping.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    So my thoughts on gear.. just make sure you aren't allowing GAS to drive your decisions.. I often buy gear just because I want to try something new, or because it looks cool, or because it will knock a 1/2 lb off my pack weight... Jerry you dont strike me as one who will fall victim to my disease :D<o:p></o:p>
    I will also say that it is cheaper in the end to buy topline gear right at the start, then to try and make "deal" gear work. I tried several jackets before I finally bought my Aerostich.. I could have saved hundreds just buying the Stich first. Of course now I wear a KLIM jacket, but honestly that was just GAS at work.. the Stich and a water bladder would work just as well. But I truly believe Gore-Tex is generally better than the knock off barriers, I believe the no questions warranty policy of a company like Marmot or Mountain Hardwear is worth the extra $2-300. I have a Mountain Hardwear 15 degree down bag that I bought 18 years ago,,, they replaced it seven or eight years ago because a zipper failed with no questions asked... I don’t think ALPS or Coleman are going to do that.. OTOH you could buy 4 ALPS tents for the price of one Mountain Hardwear tent and when one breaks just break out a new one:clap <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shape style="WIDTH: 11.25pt; HEIGHT: 11.25pt; VISIBILITY: visible; mso-wrap-style: square" id=Picture_x0020_3 type="#_x0000_t75" alt="0" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata o:title="0" src="file:///C:\Users\MATTHE~1.THO\AppData\Local\Temp\1\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>
    I am an advertisers wet dream..no question about it.. but it is part of the fun to me, and keeps me interested. Probably my Orange County CA upbringing.

Edit: OBTW tomorrow morning is the "Basement" sale at the REI in Cranston.. this is where they sell off rental gear and returned gear... some blow out bargains can be found.
  3. Hurricane Bob

Hurricane Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3:lol3...... Funny shit Matt!!
  4. Jerry Withajay

Jerry Withajay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Be nice if there was a good Gore-Tex m/c jacket for around $300...
    I can't seem to find one...
  5. Twilight Error

Twilight Error Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer:
    ORLY? I smell a trip to Cranston.

No. Really. Cranston has a unique aroma - harispray, goldish chain polish and desperation.
  6. Twilight Error

Oddometer:
    You won't find one new, keep your eyes on the flea market, ebay and Craigslist, they pop up now and again.
  7. lilolita

lilolita fahr mit mir

Oddometer:
    There are ... Rukka. You think I'd drop a grand on a jacket?!

• www.biker-land.de (create an account, log in, see lowest price -- currently the Quartz and Pablo jackets are around $325)
    • used on eBay and craiglist (we've gotten 5 jackets and 3 pairs of pants that way)
    • flea market on ADV
    Decide on what you want, look for it, be patient.

If you like your current jacket, get a Gore-Tex shell. LL Bean has a good sale section on their website and guarantee their products for life. I've been shopping at Beans when they still had taxidermy all over the tiny shop in Freeport.
  8. go2cnavy

go2cnavy Dont Worry Be Brappy

Oddometer:
    I wear this all year in NE
    http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...im-Klimate-Parka-2013?term=klim+klimate+parka

It's a great jacket that is comfortable from 20* to 70*. It has no armor (just cordura reinforced shoulders and elbows) so you'll have to wear elbow pads underneath for dirt oriented riding. By far the best jacket I have found for the price. I have the bibs too, but they are super hot over 50*.

I will be wearing this jacket and dakar pants to the RR13 in Canada this year.

This one has shoulder and elbow pad pockets.
    http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/48/-/250/975/-/28219/Klim-Traverse-Jacket
  9. ChrisRiedinger

ChrisRiedinger Specialized

Oddometer:

I was going to suggest the traverse. Guys out in the PNW swear by the traverse jacket/pants combo for their wet/moist/everything climate.

I will also second the recommendation of getting a gore-tex (or comparable alternative) shell to layer over whatever your current protective jacket. IMHO, a gore-tex riding jacket in 90+ heat is likely to be uncomfortable in the NE, the mugginess is pretty horrid. If you just want rain protection to layer over your mesh jacket, a lightweight read: gore-tec active layer, this is a specific highly breathable, lightweight packable shell.
  10. Twilight Error

Oddometer:
    And there I go, being wrong again.

Not that I mind, if someone has a better idea or knows more, lets hear it!

As far as the LLBean idea goes, its a good one. They offer sizes that go high enough to fit over your protective jacket and they really do stand behind their stuff. The trip up to Freeport is also a bit of fun, there are far better ways to get there than I95...
  11. Jerry Withajay

Oddometer:
    I just took my Columbia Titanium Gore Tex jacket for a beer run in this rain... This jacket is a Gore Tex shell over a fleece liner....

So I just wore the shell in this rain over a sweater.. but the jacket seemed to be soaking up the water and not shedding it... so it may be ok for a shower but not so good for a downpour.

I would assume that the Klim Traverse or Klimate would hold up in a downpour..
  12. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    Jerry I can get you a Klim Traverse in black or grey for $245. .. no armor in that jacket though.. so you need to move the stuff from your current jacket...or buy a some armor to put in it... the KLIM D30 armor is out of stock everywhere as they switch to new stuff.. but I would buy Forcefield Armor anyway.. better than D30. The Klim will hold up in a downpour... you Columbia jacket just wasnt designed for motorcycle use.. and it sounds like it probably needs a refresh of the DWR coating..
  13. Twilight Error

Oddometer:
    How new is the Columbia jacket? The Gore-Tex is a membrane on the inside of the jacket, it won't stop the outer fabric from getting soaked. For that, you need to treat it with a water repellent product. I prefer the wash-in Nikwax stuff, it seems to work the best. To treat my (unhealthy large) collection of Gore-Tex stuff, I first wash with the Nikwax Techwash, then while thats in the machine, I fill a large rubbermaid bucket with warm water and a bottle of Nikwax water repellent, then let the jacket/pants setup soak overnight. They air dry the next day and are good for a couple months after that.

Gore-Tex relies on two things to work: A clear path for moisture to escape and a temperature/humidity differential. If the outer shell is soaked, it won't be as effective. If the ambient temp/humidity is high, it won't be as effective. Gore-Tex (and its analogues) work best in cold, dry environments with a dry outer fabric.
  14. Jerry Withajay

Oddometer:
    Pullin the trigger...pm sent....
    Thanks Matt...
  15. stromper

stromper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Little street ride starting in Windham, CT at 1 pm

up to Mass if big dirt side trip to Yale Forest
  16. RhodeHazard

RhodeHazard ex halligan hooligan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the KLIM Latitude Jacket and Pant and with the right base and mid layers I have found them to be comfortable between 15ºF and 95ºF. They are pricey, but now I have one Jacket/Pant combo for all year. My GAS is done.
  17. Twilight Error

Oddometer:
    Yup. I just got the Latitude Misano set, this in addition to my Roadcrafter (which REALLY needs to go back to Duluth for rework) should take care of my fun and commute riding for years.
  18. MATPOC

MATPOC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow! what about pants?
  19. Jerry Withajay

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'll get a pair for my birthday...or better...

I'll do a crowdfunding effort for a startup RI based adventure riding school... then have a nice auction when it goes bankrupt... maybe I can get Curt to help out...
  20. stromper

stromper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    East CT (Baltic) early trying like 8 AM or so
    Looping 116 up to Zoar RD
    Í have routed to Brattleboro via dirt Green River rd lower puppy
    Secret mission in NH
    Down home through Mass at relaxed pace

Pace like 20 over with cage passing

Post or PM

If you have routable gps I can send a tyre file