Canyonlands Adventure Ride. May 2013

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by COXR650L, Dec 1, 2012.

1. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great.....:D Welcome

Just put on a skid plate and some real knobbie tires:deal :wink: (you will really need those!)

I would say we will be fine with the snow by May unless it is really, really bad winter.

If so we will bypass the mountains through Blanding.

Thanks,
    Ben

2. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    That is correct, the only time I've seen it enforced was when the rangers wanted to make a point or when one enters the park at a station where they can look over the bike as you pay. At both places where this ride passes through the park, the entrance will be in extremly remote locations.

[​IMG]
    The route exits the park near the Hansflat ranger station. I wasn't planning on stopping for this very reason. The possibility exists to get hassled and ticketed, same goes with entrance fees, I think it's $20 a pop, be prepared to pay it if asked. No different than the White Rim.
  3. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never mind I see you have the tires covered:eek1

4. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool pciture Chris....

last year in Needles the lady in the entrance booth said dirt bikes were not allowed. I told her they were street legal and she looked and the plate and shrugged and in we went. We were on an XR400, with just a plate, and XR650r with just a plate and my Husky.

5. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Here a couple teasers.
    Lockhart Basin Trail, this is the start near Chicken Corners.
    [​IMG]

Riding across the basin.
    [​IMG]

Another view from the Needles Overlook (if you look close you can see the trail below)
    [​IMG]
  6. dmac1

dmac1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If we start in Rabbit Valley, how will we get back to our vehicles (or will we have to ride there on an additional day)?
  7. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    On the highest sections of the Beef Basin loop, it's snowed on the the last two times I've been thru. This was the first week of May. I would suggest the high country to Blanding should be skirted.

FYI, I plan on running an MT-43 rear. It is fine even in sand. In the gooey mud, it won't matter - any tire is going to back up.
  8. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    I guess I'd better say "IN" officially if there's a 20-ish rider limit....this thing will fill up months beforehand

I'm sure the range won't be an issue, and this ride covers a TON of stuff I've never seen before.
  9. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    I would suggest Thompson Springs/Bookcliffs instead of riding back into Moab.
  10. AKASY

AKASY Noob

Oddometer:
    OK watched the videos--should I just take my Jeep:lol3

11. dmac1

dmac1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah...I need a little clarity please. I read where Kokopelli and Elephant Hill were mentioned as the most difficult spots, but I understand that Lockhart is pretty challenging. Would we be riding fully loaded bikes through Lockhart if we want to ride the Kokopelli section?

Thanks.
  12. AtomicGeo

AtomicGeo a lo macho

Oddometer:
    paid

:norton

NM chile rider. :D
  13. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    So regarding the kokopelli section that I talked about doing on Thursday.....In order to do this section I need 6-8 people that can ride the Koko on Thursday into Moab. So far there has not been a lot of interest.

This part of the ride may pose more problems logistically but it would work like this:

For those starting in Rabbit Valley we would need to carry all gear etc into Moab. I could not guarantee a shag vehicle could meet us Thursday Morning at Rabbit Valley to pick stuff up and transfer it to Moab.

My wife can meet us in Moab on Friday AM and if you are staying in a hotel in Blanding she could take a small tent and sleeping bag back to the Swell for the 2nd night.

However, If you are camping off the bike in Ruin park you will still need to carry all your gear for the remainder of the ride.

For those that start in Rabbit Valley the Thompson Trail would be an excellent route back, or you would need to ride a combination of the Koko to get back. Either way this will easily add 4-6 hours on Sunday to get back to Rabbit Valley vs Moab. Something to consider unless you just ride pavement back to Colorado.

If there is enough interest to start in Rabbit Valley I can come up with a few options to get back into Colorado. Again I need 6-8 people to do this early start though.

Clear as mud?!!:lol3

Regarding the difficulty of Lockhart Basin....
    It is much easier than the Koko or Elephant Hill area. I can only think of 1 "difficult" spot. Mostly it is wide open, maybe some sand (ok maybe a lot of sand:lol3) in a few spots.

Hellsickle or Ridefreak can you think of anything in Lockhart Basin that would pose problems compared to Elephant Hill or Koko???
  14. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will get verification (some how:lol3) on the road conditions prior to the ride and we can reroute if need be. I rode it end of April last year and it was bone dry.
  15. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome Blake:evil

AtomicXer got you down.

Are you guys planning on camping in Ruin Park or a hotel in Blanding on night one?
  16. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool pics and videos Chris! I would rather ride a bike on that any day then drive a jeep:muutt
  17. singletrackslayer

singletrackslayer Legalize singletrack

Oddometer:

:poserI'm startin to see a trend developing here. I wanna go!
  18. Wacked

Wacked Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Missed a Moab trip 2yrs ago due to a move. I'm not missing this one. Count me in.

Where do I send the $$$$?

I'm riding a DRZ400 and set up for hauling 3days of gear.

Looking forward to it,

Wacked
  19. dmac1

dmac1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    IN and PAID. Skipping Kokopelli. Camping out 1st night if others are interested. I'd like to explore the ruins....never been there.

My preference would be to not race through the day's rides and explore and see what we can if there is time....if anyone else is interested in doing that.
  20. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wacked Welcome

You can register here with a credit card.

So you mind hauling some of my gear:rofl

Dmac1-

Glad your coming along. Yep camping in ruin park is my plan so I will be with at least one group that will be exploring the indian ruins etc.