Canyonlands Adventure Ride. May 2013

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by COXR650L, Dec 1, 2012.

1. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Haha so is that forewarning I should bring plenty of food?
    Snooker-
    Good suggestion, I added the IN list to the front page. I will also send out a group email some time after the first of the year with all the info. Subsequent emails will have any major updates and also the finalized tracks. This way people will not miss a post on the thread with anything important.

Yes I have ridden this when wet, and snow packed, and alone:evil It can be nasty and we will evaluate the road conditions as it gets closer. Hell, if we dont get any snow at some point maybe we can give it a go in Feburary:lol3

The plan is to split the main group (camping) into 2 smaller groups so people can ride at a comfortable pace and we keep the dust down, etc. I will be leading one group and I will probably have a leader for the second group that has ridden this route before, but I will have to wait till it gets closer to know for sure.

An option for those that want a shower on night two is staying in Goblin Valley State Park, (still tent camping). It is only about 5-10min away from the group camp and BBQ. http://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/goblin-valley. If you want to stay here I would make a reservation at least by March or April. It can fill up pretty quick in the spring.

Regarding the Koko again,

If there are 6-8 people interested I will lead a group for this leg to moab and then back to rabbit valley. But I need at least that many otherwise I cant justify coming over a day early. I have tracks for anyone that wants to ride it though.

I think we are all set to go, just in time for winter:lol3
  2. justlookin

justlookin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got room for one more rider? Rode thru Moab in 2010 doing the TAT and really want to go back and explore the area. Thought I wanted to go back after I retire in a few more years but I may not have that much time - thanks to Uncle Sam. Thanks for doing this . :wink:
  3. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Took about 6 days, I figured it'd fill up fast.
  4. AKASY

AKASY Noob

Oddometer:
    OK I've said I'm IN for Koko on 2 May--now it looks like we need at least 5 others:ear
  5. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Michigan from the Rocky Mountain High Country
    Add me to that IN list.
    I'll just figure on riding back to here as well on the last day to get back to my truck.
    I'm not scared!
  6. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok Guys ride is Full:eek1

Who is Boby? I am trying to put names with ADV handles.....

Ben
  7. sknx

sknx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That would be me,just filled the form 20 min ago. Have no idea which group I'll be in.

Boby

8. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Agreed. In that direction, the biggest challenge on Lockhart will be the climb up from Chicken Corners.

Despite years of paving, Elephant hill will be a challenging climb on a loaded bike. Nothing that teamwork and clutch abuse can't solve. A few miles after Elephant Hill, there are a couple of climbs out of valleys around Devils Kitchen that can also be tough. The final climb a few miles before Ruin Park will be another challenge.
  9. AKASY

AKASY Noob

Oddometer:
    So far we have me and Assfault for the Koko---looks like it is going to take until May to get 6-8:lol3
    Bump to the top for the Koko:evil
    So who wants to ride a few extra miles? :ear
  10. Assfault

Oddometer:
    I would rather keep it a smaller group. Yourself, one or two more, and myself would suit me just fine:)
  11. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I was reviewing the CL tracks and noticed the route takes us right past the turnoff for the Robbers Roost Overlook out near Hansflat Ranger station. It's a 15mi detour out there (30rt), probably too far to add to a 110 mi leg. I added it to the tracks just in case :D

I knew the Outlaw Trail went through there but wasn't sure where, interesting stuff.
  12. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is a cool detour Chris. The question is though, how much to you want to baby the bike to conserve gas? It seems like the road from Hite up to Hansflat is really hard not to be flat tracking the corners the whole way:lol3:deal

So the diehards are already mobilizing for the Koko:wink:
  13. snooker

snooker AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer:
    Do you have even a rough google map plotted of this adventure? I want to torment my old Moab mountain bike buddies I could never get into being motorheads... :wink:
  14. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ridefreak:bow has done a lot of GPS work there are tracks for the entire ride. I will post up a few screen shots tonight, then once me and Ridefreak get the GPS tracks finalized I will email them to everyone.
  15. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    So here is the approximate route we will be taking.

The plan is to have a few options for day three that cover anything from easy and fast gravel, fun 4x4 and 2 track to technical single track. People can then split into small groups and ride whatever fits them best for the last day. If there are people that ride in from Rabbit Valley I have have few tracks they can use to get back that should be some very unique riding :wink:

Just based off these tracks we will easily hit 430-450 miles over the 3 days. So we will be covering A LOT of ground each day:deal For the group camping, the fist day will by far be the shortest.

Sooooo, hows winter treating everyone:lol3
  16. AKASY

AKASY Noob

Oddometer:
    Ok I guess a small group is the two of us:lol3

I think I have minimal ability to follow a GPS track--which I have--so. Planning on the night of 1 May in GJ at some motel TBD. 2 May stick my nose on a Delorme red line track and end up in Moab. 3 May--see if I can stay off of RF's Dump of the week Video.:huh
  17. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I'll be sportin some vintage iron for this shindig, got to make sure it's up to the task. :evil

[​IMG]
  18. sknx

sknx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a nice winter project but you might need a bigger gas tank.

19. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice, XR4s are some of the most underrated bikes. My brother has one with a 440 kit and that motor is amazing, the powerband is just about perfect.
  20. Assfault

Oddometer:
    Yea, I think we can make it to Moab just fine. And I agree, no need to be on any vids.