Rider Missing in Mexico

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by TeeVee, Feb 5, 2014.

1. GeneC

GeneC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Hesaid, I'm connected with the family on Facebook and still no new news. I feel for the family so much.
  2. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Posted today.
  3. whyknotboats

whyknotboats CRANK IT UP!

Oddometer:
    Ann, your posts are so kind and inspirational. As for the cooperation of the Mexican Government, not so much. The fact they have so much on there "Plate", is their own fault. They should realize, the "appetizer" sets the stage for what is to follow! By finding "Harry", they could improve the overall outlook for tourism throughout all of Mexico! Having made 7 lengthy riding trips throughout Mexico over a 10 year span and another planned in October, I must say that reading this report, finding one of own missing and seeing the "Mexican Minute" turning into Month's, is troublesome. I once again admire your "courage" and will pray for Harry "Safe" return. :) Thanks again Ann,

Captain Ken, Mpls
  4. Solohobo

Solohobo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is tough to see something like this unfold, and I am sorry to hear about this good souls encounter with issues in Mexico.

Not to take away anything from the missing motorcyclist, but, one must always weight the risk and issues in developing countries, Central America, and issues that create headaches for loved ones.

The police and investigators are no where nearly as good, or trained, as back home in the modern western world. Justice is not common nor to be expected. Courts, Tribunals, Judges, Police, may all be well for that particular country, with the intention to assist, arrest, convict a criminal, but in reality, its not going to happen.

In some ways, its like the medical offerings in the same places, you basically have clinics, that dont have MRI, Cat Scans or western trained doctors, and access to the latest and greatest procedures, unless you are in the capital or a major city, otherwise, you are hours from a good DR and good medical care, you might even have to take a taxi for hours to a hospital in these parts.

So, you have two risk that need to be acknowledged, one, police and justice hardly exist in these parts, and medical/emergency support can be non existent or lacking on many levels.

Both these factors, can mean your life. 99% of tourist and travelers have a fine time in these parts and no issues, but when shit does hit the fan, dont expect anything to be normal, as good, or as professional, as back home.

People forget this. If you look at the very popular country Costa Rica, and examine the deaths of foreigners, there are three types.

1- Accident, usually a bad car accident, drowning in rip tides in the ocean, and drug overdose. Many of these deaths could of been saved, but there are no emergency, rescue or medical personnel to get the job done.

2- Murder, which is actually not uncommon, they rarely solved, the perps rarely are arrested and convicted, and it usually involves money disputes, landowner disputes, employees, flaunting of wealth resulting in home invasions or car jackings. Criminal elements see gringos as naive and easy to threaten, period.

3- Drugs, cheap, easy to access, and all the wrong types you should be associating with, and its not narco traffickers and gangs, its small time dealers and thugs.

Nightime is the other common denominator for tourist/foreigners getting into trouble, partying, driving, walking, its not a good time to be out n about in areas you dont know the ropes, and what to avoid.

My prayers are with this gents family and friends, and I hope he is okay and comes home. But the reality is, it aint Kansas.
  5. SeanF

SeanF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hoping for some good news on this.
  6. Robert OK

Robert OK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. strikingviking

strikingviking Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    So his mom is down there looking for him. And she used to live there.

Are cartel hits on foreign tourists about as likely as a shark attack?
  9. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, they are less likely than a shark attack and certainly less likely than getting hit by lightening in Florida.
  10. glasswave

glasswave Long timer

Oddometer:
    OTH, it could be worse.
  11. T.Low

T.Low Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any new news?
  12. Some Dude

Some Dude what attitude problem???

Oddometer:
    Tampa, FL has the highest incidence of Lightening strikes/activity in the USA :deal

I'm guessing there's still no news on this???
  13. SeanF

SeanF Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a long shot...but I'm occasionally going through the Mexican Craigslist (and other Mexican auto- and bike-selling sites) looking for a green (or "custom painted") KLR. I noticed in a photo earlier in the thread that there's a sticker on the right front fork leg. There's also the low front fender. I'm guessing the hard bags have racks. Anyone else have additional photos or info on the KLR?

Like I said, it's a long shot. But that might be all we have at this point.
  14. Rockhopp3r

Rockhopp3r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any news on this? I've been thinking about this rider a lot. So weird that he just went missing without a trace...
  15. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
  16. Mikehusa

Mikehusa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. booger1

booger1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is hopefull news, at least for the 35 ppl. And still sending prayers out to Harry and his family.
  18. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately it was not so.. here is news from American Embassey to Ann (Harry's mother)

Message from Ann, Harry's Mom

From the American Embassy:
    Ann:
    We have heard from the PGR(preliminarily/not officially) that the kidnapping victims recovered are believed to be Central Americans who were being smuggled through Mexico to the U.S. No sign of any U.S. citizen involved. The investigation into the remains found is a separate investigation, and we haven't been able to get any details on that yet.

We'll keep you informed as this develops.

I remain increasingly HOPEFUL. The Mexican government is charging forward full speed ahead in their investigations of missing persons and that certainly includes Harry. ,whether he was kidnapped or is wandering with a head injury relying on the kindness of strangers. That boy is a survivor. He doesn't just survive, he THRIVES.
    Thank you all for keeping the faith as we go through this together.
    _Ann, Harry's Mom
  19. Rockhopp3r

Rockhopp3r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any recent news about this?
  20. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Npt much.