DR750 & DR800 owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MCmad, Jul 14, 2008.

1. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ray, It is not from the gears our gear teeth are staight cut that bit of metal has a curve in it , can you see if it bends with say using 2 pair of pliers to make it bend or does it snap.
    I t does not look like to me that it came from a roller bearing cage either soet of looks like a bit of locating dowle not sure try the bend test.

Now main jets the SR/42 ran I think smaller mains because it has more vacume at the carbies because of the bigger volume in the cylinder so sucking more fuel so they decreased the main jet size to componsate .
    they both run the same airbox same aircleaner and BST 33 carbs .
    Technically at full throttle at high revs using 117.5 mains it may loose some performance compared to the 120,s.
    This would burn me up inside knowing that there is extra performance for so little work :D.
  2. kyle

kyle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    was my first thought
  3. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    But the only time the locating dowels are exposed are when the engine cases/cylinder/head is apart. How can a piece come adrift if sealed into the case.

Wait....don't answer that 'cause I don't want to know. I'll be stopping to assess every little weird sound from no on anyway.
  4. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    I dont want to give advice on this but can only say I bought a original YZ400F a while ago and like a good boy gave it a oil change after first ride and lo and behold metal fillings in the oil (aluminium I think) was real annoyed but anyway decided to give it another run and change the oil again, same thing, in the end I gave up as decided it wasn't worth stripping so have run it now for about another 20 hrs and it still goes real well and makes no weird noises (other than the paranoid ones I think I hear) Not advising you but it might be part of a tab washer or something and you may struggle to find its source even when stripped ?

Regards jets My YZ290 had to be jetted down coming from a 250 as more suck more fuel and vis versa, and your altitude is another determining factor, more air at sea level needs more fuel and vis versa (sorry I know you all knew that but just in-case) I would imagine Suzuki would jet bike for worst case scenario so it would not overheat so in theory a smaller main jet should be ok though ?
    Some Carb and jetting links http://www.dansmc.com/carbs2.htm http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/carbs101.pdf

Fuel economy, things like time of year (air temp and moisture content) plus grades of fuel can make a big difference so when comparing it has to be apples for apples

We await Bluesmans appraisal :ear

Memory lane again (those were the days:D)
    [​IMG]
  5. the_sad_punk

the_sad_punk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ladder, may i again draw your attention to the picture of doom that awaited me in my sump

[​IMG]

It was from a starter gear, was replaced and the junk was never fished out. It had done thousands of miles with that in it.
    I nearly had a coronary :huh and brought her to a very respected mech for a total engine strip down and rebuild. After handing over the sheckles the mech laughed and told me that it would have been better if i had never seen it as once shes shifting well, and running well these lumps are pretty damn robust:1drink Said he knew as much when he compression checked it before stripping too.

My humble advice is flush it for peace of mind, change the oil and filter and see about installing one of those dr650 magnetic sump nuts or that magnetic filter ring (or something along that line from procycle) to catch anything that it encounters.
  6. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd second what said above.
    Debris usually causing problem IF it block oil ways. In DR it is almost impossible with that oil screen design.
    You remember what I fished from mine when I took it apart first time? That infamous washer that sits on parasite gear - one side had it, other side - nope. And I was sure it is how it should be. Until I removed oil screen to find that 25 mm diameter washer just sitting there.
    FYI- I bought bike and done about 1000 km before I opened it :)

And it does look like locating dove indeed.
  7. mait

mait Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it is soft and thin then it may as well be a tab from lock washer which has snapped off. You know these soft metal lock washers with bendable tabs.
  8. ausibatla

ausibatla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For Ladder106

HER DIARY:

Tonight I thought my husband was acting weird. We had made plans to meet at a nice resaurant for dinner. I had been shopping all day with friends and I thought he was upset because I was a bit late but he made no comment on it. Conversation wasn't flowing so I suggested we go somewhere quiet so we could talk. He agreed but didn't say much. I asked him what was wrong, he said "Nothing". I asked him if it was my fault he was upset, he said he wasn't upset, it was nothing to do with me and not to worry about it. On the way home I told him that I loved him. He just smiled and kept on driving. I don't know why he didn't tell me he loved me too. By the time we got home I felt I had lost him completely. It was as if he didn't want me anymore. He just sat there quietly, watching TV. He seemed so distant and absent. Finally, with silence all around us, I decided to go to bed. About 15 minutes later he came to bed as well. I knew he was distracted and his thoughts were somewhere else. He fell asleep and I cried. I don't know what to do. I'm positive he has another woman. My life is a disaster.

HIS DIARY:

Bloody motorbike wont start. Can't work out why.

Cheers.
    :clap:clap:clap
  9. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Lloyd....that was brilliant (and totaly reflects my life)

Bent the tiny bit with pliers today. It folded to 90 deg then snapped in half. So its not a bendy nut tab. It's hard and brittle.

Did a 150 mile ride this afternoon. Running well with no odd noises - guess I'll just keep going.
  10. ausibatla

Oddometer:

Glad to hear that it bent to 90 deg. At least it's not case hardened so that rules out gears, valves, cams, rings, etc.
    Just do what your doin', cobber. She'll be right.
    Cheers.
  11. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    That little story , joke Lioyd is oh so true :clap.
  12. ausibatla

Oddometer:
    I looked at the two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend,
    "That's us in ten years."
    He replied, 'That's a mirror, dipshit." :rofl

Cheers.
  13. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. Resi

Resi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    *gg*

One of my alltime favorites:

A priest and a shepherd from Australia participate in a TV game.
    After answering all the questions, there is a tie. So both are given one final assignment:
    It is to write a poem in three minutes, using the word "Timbuktu".

The priest returns with the fruit of his inspiration:
    "I was a father all my life, I had no children, had no wife,
    I read the bible through and through on my way to Timbukto ... "

The poem makes a great impression, and the priest smells a sweet victory.
    But then comes the shepherd, with his winning masterpiece:
    "When Tim and I to Brisbane went, we met three ladies cheap to rent.
    They were three and we were two, so I bucked one and Tim bucked Two ... "

SCNR,
    Lars
  15. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl
    'Resi!' hat die Iris gesagt!
  16. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very good Lars :lol3. sounds like double or nothing
    No package yet maybe this week perhaps.
  17. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    We went for a ride last saturday out to Ophir gold field, here is Doc with his SR/43 .
    [​IMG]
  18. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    We went down to the causeway, just 60m upstream on the left is where they found Australias first payable gold , heaps of history here and old diggings and mine shafts about, one day I will do a photo shute of the place if you blokes are interested.
    [​IMG]
  19. robmoto

robmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    a bit before Ophir just a general view .
    [​IMG]
  20. jabroka

jabroka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since everybody is posting vids.. heres mine..

a few mins. of riding from Catembe to Ponta do Ouro, Mozambique, on a BMW 800..

Let me tell you.. that bike doesn't like sand at all!

crash at the end, enjoy!! :D

[​IMG]