Radioman Rides the World.......

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Radioman, May 19, 2011.

1. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Erik!! Happy Thanksgiving to you too! :dg Argentinean steak :deal WOW amazing!!

[​IMG]
  2. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Ready to update ...... Sitting in Bariloche, Argentina on Thanksgiving Day. It is strange being away from home on Holidays as all the traditions and time with family and friends make these days special!! I am thankful for the opportunity to be out riding in the world and can reflect on all the things that make life special. So I miss my family and friends, but smile at the day in front of me!! Thanks to all that have encouraged and interacted with me on this Ride Report!! It really has made this journey amazing!! :deal THANK YOU!! :wink:

I rode out of Santiago 4 days ago after great hospitality of Martyn and Kate. It was a beautiful sunny day and I had decided that due to my schedule heading to Ushuaia (2nd time I had a schedule on the trip and it is always a bit hard. I paid for my Antarctic trip, so now I have to make it!) So I took Ruta 5 due south 480 miles to Pucon which is supposed be a cool little town on a lake.

The ride was mostly straight down the valley, with the Andes on my left and lots of farms, orchards, and vineyards. It is a toll road, so unfortunately I had to stop and pay tolls all along the way. Think it ended up being around $10 USD total for the day. But I could cruise along at 120-130KM, so it was good to make the miles!

[​IMG]

I love riding, even with straight roads as it is all about enjoying the moments! Funny signs as I crossed a bridge .... 0 Accidents with a smiley face.

[​IMG]

As I headed toward Pucon.... The view of the Villarrica Volcano was great! Long day riding and looking forward to finding a place to stay for a few days.

Picked this place which was great!! Coordinates to come. Would recommend it but there seems to be tons of cool looking hostels in town! it was 8000 Pesos for the night (around $16.65 USD) night. way cheaper than getting my own room!

[​IMG]

Pulled right into the front yard.

[​IMG]

Say hello to Susan and Christopher for me!

[​IMG]

The volcano is peeking out from the clouds all day.

[​IMG]

Nice views from town.

[​IMG]

There is a big lake with a black sand beach...

[​IMG]

And good food in town. Also met Chris and his wife (oops forgot her name) It is always great to meet other travels, share experiences and stories!

[​IMG]

Met up with a couple American Guys Joe and Joe and we had a great evening cooking dinner and sharing stories!! :wave thanks Guys enjoy your travels!

This hostel had nice rooms and great kitchen. Would have been worth staying a bit longer, but have to keep moving south right now!

[​IMG]

One last view of the mountain!

[​IMG]
  3. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know, I hope, how jealous I am of you right now.
  4. Jarrod Weaver

Jarrod Weaver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy Thanksgiving Radioman. I am thankful for the RR you share that inspires so many of us.
  5. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Happy Thanksgiving Mark. I hope your day is special. I'm going to miss you being a Hells Canyon in June but I was happy to read you have plans to be in China with Lu during that time. :D

Let us all know what you chose for Thanksgiving dinner today. :dg

Keep riding safely.
  6. Radioman

Oddometer:

No need to be Jealous! Cherish you have with Meagan and Ethan!!:deal
  7. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    What she said. So, I'm thinking do to geographic location..... Steak. :wave..... :thumbup
  8. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy Give Thanks Day!

Get that picture posted up so I can nominate it for the FRONT PAGE! :deal
  9. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ladybug :wave Happy Thanksgiving to you!!! My plans might be changing.... Who know what I will be doing next year. Hope to go see Lv Fei somehow.... Stay Tuned :)

As for thanksgiving dinner..... It was lunch. Yummy Yummy Steak, mashed Potatoes and Tomatoes!

[​IMG]

Really tasty steak !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:wave Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!
  10. jbcaddy

jbcaddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oroville & Placerville, California U.S.of A.
    Hi Mark, following along and glad you are having such a good time. I spent Thanksgiving a few years ago in Mar del Plata as the team leader for the US junior canoe/kayak team at the PanAm games. I really enjoyed my visit to Argentina and I am sure you will enjoy what it has to offer also.
  11. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Hola Jan,

Happy Thanksgiving!! Thanks! have enjoyed Argentina and Chile very much so far.
  12. Radioman

Oddometer:
    :thumb Thanks. Happy Thanksgiving to my ADV family
  13. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Hated to leave the nice little town of Pucon, but needed to continue south! Another Rider Conor had been here early in the year and suggested that I ride to the town on Puerto Fuy and catch the ferry up the lake that ended just 30 miles from San Martin de los Andes. Always good to get route suggestions.

I headed off in the morning along some great local roads. The volcano from another view point.

[​IMG]

Road through a few little towns and around some lake. It was a great ride!!

[​IMG]

Another Volcano in the distance as I road the 120 KM to Puerto Fuy.

[​IMG]

Great roads! and views. Fell like I am at home on these roads!

[​IMG]

Then the last 40 Km of gravel road to get to Puerto Fuy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Arrived early and enjoyed the views....

[​IMG]

Time for a little desayuno (breakfast) overlooking the lake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fun watching the locals move the logs up onto the beach the old fashion way

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we loaded the ferry (the cars and trucks back on) for the 1:30 Minute ride up the lake toward Argentina

[​IMG]

Up the lake we go!

[​IMG]

Was a beautiful ride along the lake....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once off the ferry, just another 50 KM of gravel road, including a stop at the Border for Chile and Argentina. Was really fast exit and entrance!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Less than 30 minutes for both borders!

[​IMG]

Loving the ride!

[​IMG]

Then into San Martin De los Andes. Nice small town. Had a bit of trouble as the couple Hostels I had noted were either closed or no one answered!! So I ended up at a hotel in town. Had walk walk about town...Then dinner! Met a swiss couple and there friend from Chile that were on the ferry, at the border then at the same Hotel, and at the Irish pub in town. They bought me a couple beers :freaky :deal Was fun!
  14. Radioman

Oddometer:
    The weather looked like it was going to start to change, so I rode on down the road!

[​IMG]

Nice roads ..... Beautiful roads.

[​IMG]

In Argentina you see roadside memorials covered in Red flags/markers...

[​IMG]

As I road along I passed a group of Motorcyclists, then stopped at a overlook, and the rest of the group of Argentineans were waiting. We had a great interaction and here are a couple guys reading my business card and web info!

[​IMG]

The pavements ends and turns to nice gravel road that continues through the mountains and around the lakes.

[​IMG]

Had a bit of rain and the temps dipped into the mid 30's (1-2 degrees C) .....

[​IMG]

Rivers

[​IMG]

Great riding!

[​IMG]

And the Lupines were out!! Awesome

[​IMG]

Nice lakes and mountains.

[​IMG]

The skies were clearing but it is still cold, and getting a taste of the Patagonian winds!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rolled into San Carlos de Bariloche. It is a bigger town, but I liked it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found the Hostel Periko's. Great Hostel :thumb

[​IMG]

It has two great people that welcomed me. Meet Juieta and Charlie. They are great!!

[​IMG]

Had a dorm room to myself!! for 70 Peso ($16.00)

[​IMG]

Got into town early so I had time to get a good meal. WOW Argentinean Steaks! :dg Very Tasty

[​IMG]

As I had read and now experiencing..... The costs go way up in Argentina and Chile. $$$ Liked the sign at the ATM. Needed to Extract some cash to keep up!

[​IMG]

ATM's are in english.....

[​IMG]

So far I am really loving Argentina and Chile. This feels like home !! The roads are good, the mountains, Lakes, trees and temps..... and of course the people!!
  15. Vinz Clortho

Vinz Clortho Keymaster of Gozer

Oddometer:
    I was out raking the leaves this morning, which naturally made me think about being on my bike. :evil
    When I think about being on my bike, I automatically think of you and your trip and wanted to drop you a line. I hope you are enjoying your Thanksgiving, thanks again for sharing your journey.
  16. olebiker

olebiker Old buzzard bait

Oddometer:
    Thank you once again for allowing me to follow along. There is almost no possibility I will ever get to these places you are traveling though so I am grateful to get to see them though your eyes. It means a great deal to me.

Carl
  17. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Love the thought process!
  18. Radioman

Oddometer:
    It is a great pleasure to be able to share the ride with you Carl! So glad to be able to do it! Thanks for the post!!! :clap
  19. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy (US) Thanksgiving Mark!

It's still raining in the PNW.....:(: but we can still ride.

Safe travels....
  20. Radioman

Oddometer:
    :wave thanks!! Appreciate that! And I rode year round in PNW.... Just a bit of rain. But I am a bit spoiled now as I have ridden Summer, Summer, Summer !:D