VFR Thread, How many of us have 'em?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Chad_NC, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Lolthatguy

Lolthatguy Has a Zombie House

Oddometer:
    Here is a question, and Ive had a look through the thread, but I only skimmed through it....
    I would like to put a vfr750 rear rim on my 99vfr800.

Are there any tricks to doing this, or is it a straight swap? I vaguely remember something about the 93 model being a direct fit but I cant find anything to say this....

Anyone able to help?

2. SailorJack

SailorJack I ride cheap bikes.

Oddometer:
    Savannah, TN (winter) & Crivitz, WI (summer)
    3rd Gen ('90-'93) will bolt right onto your 5th Gen ('98-'01) VFR. Easy day. It's the 4th Gen ('94-'97) thats the odd ball and can be difficult. Have fun finding that beautiful 8 spoke rim though. They normally go for around $300. I know where you can find a whole 3rd gen right now for $500! Ha, might be easier.
  3. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve Every day is Saturday

Oddometer:

No tricks involved, it will bolt right on. Keep in mind the 94-97 VFR750 rear wheels are 5" wide and use a 170/60 rear tire instead of the 5.5" wheel and 180/55 you have on your 99 VFR800. The 90-93 VFR 750's use a 5.5" rear wheel, so that would bolt right on as well as use the stock tire size intended for your VFR800.
  4. mike884

mike884 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

$500 you say? care to share :evil
  5. Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow Thread Ninja

Oddometer:
    thats pretty cool info, where is it now anyway?
  6. SailorJack

SailorJack I ride cheap bikes.

Oddometer:
    Savannah, TN (winter) & Crivitz, WI (summer)
    Here you go. Found it looking around craigslist. No title, looks beat but the guy says it runs and he'll take $500 for it. Parting it out on ebay would get you your money back easy and then some. I don't need it and don't feel like making the drive.
  7. Lolthatguy

Oddometer:
    Its sitting at The Oaks airport, NSW, Australia.
    Been there since 1981 and hasn't been touched since.
  8. Lolthatguy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information fellas.

I'll make it my job to look for one after Christmas comes and goes.
    If I can pick up a whole wrecked bike cheap, I'll take the rim and part it out.
    Im guessing that being in Australia will add about $400 to the $300 asking price for a rim over in the states.... :puke1
  9. Hosebag

Hosebag Difficult, but useful.

Oddometer:
    So what pipes work best with the new VFR1200?

My buddy's just bought one and is looking.

10. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's a VFR1200?

:rofl
  11. Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow Thread Ninja

Oddometer:
    yep, this is what they look like,

[​IMG]
  12. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :oscar :jack :jack :oscar
  13. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:
    Hey dudes;
    I bought my new to me 2002 VFR800/ABS from my uncle's estate a month ago. He lived in Vermont and passed suddenly (and young) in April of 2011. I want to ride the bike in his memory and keep it as nice as he's kept it. I have a feeling he was a member on this site or at least friends with members of this site, so if you knew him, or think you knew him based on the limited facts I've given, shoot me a PM... it would be cool to learn more about him, he was a great guy and very well known throughout the state.

Anyways, the bike has been in my heated basement for the last 2 weeks. Prior to this, I had ridden the bike roughly 15 miles just to get a feel for it, with no issues to speak of, and the bike ran flawlessly... love that VTEC! :evil Now, the bike suddenly has the high temp warning light and '270' flashing on the display indicating a high engine temperature. It does this as soon as I start up the bike, when I know it's cold, so I'm guessing it's a bad sensor. Is this a common problem? Is this easy to change myself? I'm sorry for the noob question, I'm just trying to see if it's worth taking it to the shop and having Honda do it. All the beautiful red plastic makes me think twice about tearing into it.
  14. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    I've never encountered such an issue with either my current or previous VFR.

I suggest you get a service manual, preferably from Honda, and do some research.

Also, head over to vfrdiscussion.com for their wealth of knowledge.
  15. ninepeaks9

ninepeaks9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can think of two things:

Check the coolant level.

Check to see if the cooling fan comes on when the temp is that high.
  16. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:
    Sounds good, thank you. I do have the factory service manual, I'm just thinking I might keep the battery on a tender and wait until spring when I can put it in the shop for a full tuneup. It was supposedly gone through by a big shop up North; as it sat on consignment for a long time, but with this temp issue I'm thinking maybe not so much. I'll check the coolant level, and will just keep from running it until I have this figured out. Thanks.

Edit: I can't hear the cooling fan come on, which also leads me to believe it's a faulty sensor.
  17. ninepeaks9

ninepeaks9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I remember reading that 2002 models had issues with cooling fans.
  18. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    My fan did not work on my 99. Turns out it was unplugged after a dealer visit. PITA to take off the fairing but...............simple fix.
  19. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:
    I'll check that. I forgot to add that the temp light comes on even before I sart the engine, and stays on... so I know the bike isn't hot. I'll look into it a bit and let you guys know. Unless the fairing is that big of a PITA, then I'll just drink beer and stare at the sexy beast for the next 4 months.
  20. Twohondas

Twohondas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Change the anitifreeze/oil while the fairings are off (if it has been a while) besides checking the fan hookup.

BTW VFRD has a maintenace manual pdf which you can download.