Should I sell my 2012 Goldwing and buy a new GSW

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by treg, Apr 26, 2013.

1. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    the Ozark, Boston, Kiamichi and Ouachita Mnts
    I've got a Wing and a GSA. The wife prefers the Wing and I prefer the GSA unless its cross country interstate.:norton
  2. Racegun

Racegun Single Track Mind!

Oddometer:
    +1 & +1 or more... and..
    I road a GW for a day. I did not like the way the wind came off of the faring and whipping around to hit me in the back of my helmet... as if the passenger was pushing on my helmet from behind.

I found with a russell day long saddle, the right helmet and riding gear, I could ride 700 mile + days... forever ! That was on a 1998 R1100GS, the R1200GS are even better and I am betting the new R12ooWGS will be better yet ( save the new bike problems that seem to bother the new models for a year or so)

You should be able to ride or even rent a GS and get some good feedback to answer your questions.
  3. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am hopeful that BMW got the new GS right from the start. It is their best selling bike. I don't recall the 2004 GS having any major problems.

I am used to riding GSAs and for my 5'9" body the windshield was great.

The windshield on the new GS is even better than the GSA for me. The air on the new GS is very clean. Less wind protection overall for the legs and shoulders than the GSA but very clean air. It's clean in in the lowest and highest position and all points in between. BMW did their homework on the design. For taller folk or people wanting a barn door, I predict there will be scores of aftermarket options. The shield comes off with four torx screws like the RT.
  4. GSABest

GSABest El Aventurero

Oddometer:
    I have a 2008 GSA. All my research led me pick the GSA over the GS. In my opinion I'd suggest waiting for the 2014 GSA if you can. You will surely be able to farkle it to comfortably handle all the touring you want and when the road ends you will not have to turn around ;). It should be (at least) as sporty as a wing. It's just soooo much more versatile for a "big" bike. Good luck in your decision. Your wing is beautiful BTW!
  5. 268

268 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your heart has already made up its mind, you should just listen to it :ear :wink:
  6. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Without a shadow of a doubt, ditch the Wing and get the GS. Riding a bike is all about FUN, and this new GS has it by the bucket load.:evil
  7. srpuywa

srpuywa Big 'G'

Oddometer:
    I went from a R1150 GS ADV to ST1300's to K1200LT and back to 09 GSA.

The LT and the GW aren't very accommodating if you're tall, the seat locks you in one position with no wiggle room. I can do 500+ miles a day on the GSA easily. And those weird tiller handlebars on the LT!
  8. treg

treg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the replies. I've decided to sell the wing and put down my deposit on the new GSW :happay

Now have to wait till June for it to arrive :cry

Anyone know of anyone looking a mint 12 Goldwing with 2100 miles, let them know.
  9. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    I own a 2007 GS Adventure, and a 2011 GS Adventure. I've ridden both an 03 GS, and an 05 GS....

Since you're coming from a Goldwing, WAIT for the Adventure.

Sent from my party line rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Ridestrong

Ridestrong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ...and then she prefers the GSA? :rofl
  11. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    All one has to do is look at those two bike photos to determine which bike is more comfortable for touring.

However, the GS does more than tour as you are well aware.

Maybe it is time to expand your motorcycling horizons to roads less traveled?
  12. Ua the Destroyer

Ua the Destroyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has that goldwing gone to the dark side?
  13. DownunderBrian

DownunderBrian B2

Oddometer:
    I have these pegs mounted on my altrider bars. I got them from twisted throttle, about $100.

They are not as comfortable as the kuryakn pegs I had on my previous bike, but I thought these suit the bike better. I love them. I can also rest my feet on the altrider bars, so plenty of leg stretching options.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. treg

treg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes it did. But will be sold without. :D
  15. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    I don't fit a Goldwing at all, so can't directly comment. My knees hit the fairing.
    I ride my HD Ultra and the GSA daily for commutes up to 200ish miles round trip, sometimes as short as 10 miles.
    I've done 1000 miles in a day on both, I've done near 1000mile days back to back for days on both.

The GSA is doable for sure but the HD is fairly easy. I love the range on the GSA tank and for long distance that makes it a harder decision... more comfort vs more distance between stops. I've gone 400 miles without stopping and while it was fun, it was also something that made me walk funny for a couple days :eek1

You mention you like the GS because it's a dirtbike. It's a very heavy bike (light by GW or HD standards) that does take damage when it goes down. Nowhere near what a regular streetbike will cost you but if you're into shiny, it wont stay that way for long offroad.

If you ride long distances on the interstate, you will want cruise control. I always miss that when logging a lot of miles to get somewhere. That's only available on the 13 GS at this point as a factory option.

I've never found a bike boring, so maybe I'm not the best advice and I've seen all those yellowwolf videos where he rides the heck of out his GW. Doesn't look boring to me.

You did mention liking power... the GS is no slouch but compared to the wing, it's a different animal.

Maintenance is cheap and easy but given this impending trade, I will assume the cost isn't concern.

Bike ADD, I suffer from it as well. I used to be able to go about 2 years between purchases, now I'm down to 12-13 months! I've recently learned to lessen that pain by buying used. I have 2 bikes, customized and all for a ton less than I walked off the showroom floor paying for my HD. Just a though there if you are still finding out your preferences.

*edit*
    Accessories you will have to add yourself that are probably already on your GW:
    Stereo
    CB
    Intercom (no passenger you said, so maybe no interest)
    GPS
    Cruise (if not a 13GS)
    Luggage
    Heated Seat (if you like that sort of thing)
    Cappuccino maker
    Alarm - if you care
  16. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    2,000 miles and you're bored with the 'wing? :huh

You'll be bored with the GS in about 5 miles, with that dead front end. :deal

What kind of windshield is that on the blue 'wing?

9600 miles in 60 days on my 2012 Goldwing and the trans is about to drop right out of it, I'm in love with the thing though and Honda will rue the day they gave me three years unlimited miles.

:freaky
  17. treg

treg Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. treg

treg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad you like your wing. The windshield is a Windbender with electric option.
  19. QED

QED Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only you can decide what is comfortable. I am 6' 1" with both knee and back surgery. I am also very inflexible. I need a riding position like I'm sitting on a bar stool. That is something I can do all day. I need to sit up tall with my legs under me; Not out front like on a Harley.

I made a few mods on my "05 GS which allow me to ride all day with no physical fatigue.

Aeroflow wind screen. Eliminated bobble head while riding on the freeway.

Corbin seat. Nice and hard. Allows my to slide around eliminating butt rash.

Lowered Pegs 1/2 inch. Along with taller Corbin it took the pressure off my knees.

The bike is tall and light and can get blown around in high wind. Nothing you can do about that except slow down.

I ride my bike exclusively spring thru fall. I have ridden several 1000 mile days, and at least a dozen 750+ days.

The GS is the perfect bike for me. Only you can decide what is right for you. If you aren't planning any dirt in your future, you might also consider an RT. Ride 'em all before spending your money.
  20. snakebitten

snakebitten Small Town Hick

Oddometer:
    I can't keep your pace up, but I'm 5 years unlimited on the Yammy. And a service contract too. (first ever for me. Not sure how the dealer talked me into it. I'm getting old, I guess)

They already know they are in trouble with me on mileage. I'm past the break-even point on the service contract. It's a loser now every time I come in for a cup of coffee and smile. "I'll take a 4000 mile service please"

Doubt the warranty will get tested. But you never know. I subject it to as much off road testing as possible.

Anyways, had to comment on your Wing mileage pace. Outstanding!