How many of you prefer Thumpers to other bikes?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by GPrairie_Rider, Jun 15, 2013.

1. gplassm

gplassm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This seems to be a more "Off-Road" oriented forum. In that regard, to me, Thumpers are easier to ride, for longer periods of time, than 2 strokes, but the 2 strokes are lighter, and quicker in tight trails. I really enjoy my 350 EXC, but having just ridden with some guys with 200 MXC's and XC-W's, I missed that light, "easy to loft the front end" feeling. In this arena, if you stay away from the huge bikes, there are no other multi's except for the Aprilia RXV 450/550, and they had issues that make them sort of rare to see today.
    Once you get into the huge bikes, I prefer multi's, providing that my intent does not include taking them into gnarly locations.
    On the street, Thumpers are charismatic, but not my first choice for longer distances. Again, IMO, they must be made loud and temperamental to get good amounts of power out of them (pistons, cams, carbs, pipes, etc.) - compared to multi-cylindered bikes. I still like them, but as others have said - You really should be able to pick the right tool for the job.
    I sold my sweet, street duty only DR650 to get a V-Strom 650, and it was the right choice, for me.
  2. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't whether I prefer Thumpers because in 35 years of riding I have never owned or even ridden anything else except single cylinder two strokes. :lol3
  3. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thumpers are fun, they are great when they are smooth.
    Most real dirt bikes and dual sports are singles, since they are lighter then twins.
    On the street, weight matters much less (to some people), and a multi is smoother.
  4. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:
    My DR is the newest bike I've ever owned... probably because I just bought it new. Compared to my '79 Suzuki GS550, '81 CB900, '85 Voyager and '02 Ural it is waaaay more fun and responsive to ride. The Voyager and Ural were hacks so really it's unfair to compare. Different tools for different jobs.

I'm looking forward to some long trips on the DR to see how I like it for touring. I like the minimalistic approach to motorcycling so the DR will probably do long journeys just perfectly.
  5. byron555

byron555 Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you like dirt, and can only have one bike, thumpers are the answer... My WR250r does everything well (tire dependent). My wife has ok'd a second bike when we can afford it... When will that be? Not sure, but I am leaning towards a used wee-strom. Then the WRr can have dirt oriented tires on all the time! :D
  6. satur9

satur9 angry black guy

Oddometer:
    I have a bmw g650x .which is the smoother but second most powerful thumper stock behind ktm. I toke the long way down from ohio to blue ridge parkway. And loved it. I took the superslab back and hated it. People keep saying thier thumper will do 80 all day long. Is this gps speed.80 speedo was actually 72. And anything above 70 on less than flat ground .just felt like I was wringing it... I really wasnt cause I had it well over 100 actual before. But even though im probably not damaging it. It just didnt "feel" comfortable. It was louder windier vibeier. I think the biggest problem was my right hand you have to twist the throttle so much.that you wrist hurts or constantly readjust your grip.etc. ...my opion is that thumpers are awesome. Except for 70 plus mph. Superslab. Funny thing is I had a 250 twin. That had far less power. But handled superslab far better.in short buy a thumper. Stay off superslab . My complaints may seem nitpicky till you do it. I thought my bike was king in the city and short freeway jaunts across town. Out on the interstates where the limit was 70 and your getting windblasted by semi trucks on the left and right doing 80. And grandma in her minivan is flashing to pass when youre already doing 10 mph over the limit. You will realise what im saying.
    Btw total trip was almost 2000 miles.didnt use one drop of oil and it was still golden. Rear tire is almost gone though.
    Heres my touring supermoto. (I know the lugguage hurt performance but it you want to tour you might look like this me in full gear plus lugguage is barely 225 lbs) [​IMG]
  7. Powderaddict

Powderaddict Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For riding the trails my little KLR is fantastic. Any of my multi cylinder bikes I’ve owned would have had me pooping my pants in things the KLR 250 handles with ease.

I don't ride street nearly as often as I used to, so I can't justify the expense a big powerful bike would have if I'm only going to ride it a couple times a year.

That said, I miss my Triumph 955 Sprint ST triple cylinder I used to own. I don’t miss the costs of tires, insurance, parts, etc. But that engine, oh that engine…
  8. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's my story, too, except I had a few triples, too. I've devolved to the point where I have three thumpers. I tour on a thumper...just not fast touring.

My DR650 with custom seat is the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden, as long as I'm not trying to go 75 mph all day long.