Visiting NZ Feb 6 - March 8. Looking for a bike!

Discussion in 'Australia' started by pfb, Nov 4, 2004.

1. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    I am looking for a dual-sport bike to ride in NZ for most of February and the beginning of march.

I'd be interested in:

1) Borrowing a bike, or a bike share. I have many bikes here in Colorado, a fantastic riding destination, and would be happy to loan one of mine to someone as well. See signature for the menu of choices :-)

2) Renting a bike. I prefer not to rent from a commercial place, as I anticipate the cost for a month will be prohibitive, but if a private individual is interested in renting me a bike, I would be happy to consider it.

3) Buying, then selling, a bike. I thought that perhaps I could buy a used F650, Africa Twin, or some other 650+ dual sport bike. If anybody is interested in helping me buy the bike in advance, or sell it after I leave, I'd love to hear from you!

I'll also be interested in suggestions on places to visit, etc, but am trying to get the bike figuired out first.

- Paul.
  2. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Hi Paul
    Look up the NZ dealers & see what they will do for a buyback, it's definitely the cheap way to go if you're here for a month+ and have the the spare capital. A mate got a good deal from the Hamilton BMW dealer so try them for an F650. The local (Rotorua) KTM shop have an '02 640 in stock, comfort seat, 18L tank, quite tidy. They have NZ$11000 on it, I could ask about that and give you their details if you're interested. I'm going to the other 2 bike shops in town today so I'll see what they have.

Cheers
    Clint

Just spotted an XTZ 750 Tenere at the above site, NZ$6500, They also have a KTM 640.
  3. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    Clint, a buyback sounds like a fine idea, and all of the bikes you suggested sound nice as well...

I'll need to figuire out some sort of luggage solution as well if the bikes don't have bags. I have soft bags if heat/melting won't be a problem, and can likely get my hands on a set of Jesse's for a Funduro in NZ, or try and figuire something else out.

If you don't mind, I'd greatly appreciate you maybe speaking to those dealers, and if we go forward, perhaps even checking out the bike?

Thanks for your help!
  4. Scottie

Scottie Kiwi

Oddometer:
    That swap a bike deal between US and NZ sounds like a great idea. I'd be quite keen but in Feb I'm using my 950, a lot. Let me know if you want some help in the South Island (I'm in Christchurch) and look me up for some rides in this area.
  5. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    Sounds good, Scottie.

Just finalized the air plans, now onto finalizing bike arrangements and places to ride!
  6. mountain eagle

mountain eagle terrorist

Oddometer:
    Hi, you might want to check out TABS http://bikeshareworld.com/I am a member and completed two bikeshares in NZ in feb-march of 04. And will be back in 05. These poor kiwi's have the burden of being in a very desiralbe location. At least it looks like I'll get to reciprocate next may.
    I could also put you in touch with someone in Canterbury who may be willing to facilitate purchase before, and sale after your trip. From talking to other travelers, long term rental for 6+ weeks on an older sport tourer ran around 2Knzd. I never looked into buybacks.
    pfb,Scottie, anyone else? I would love to meet up with other avdr's. I'm with Polar Services, and deploy back to CHristCHurch in feb.
    mountain eagle
  7. kiwiross31

kiwiross31 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel your best bet is to arrive in Auckland, where there a lot of motorcycle shops. Go on line [obviously] and get hold of the name brand dealers.

It should be quite easy to find a buy back. If your riding solo a 650 is about all you need in the land of twisty roads and the "land of the great white cloud." An enduro will get you on some great [metal] gravel roads. Too many "Mericans "think they need a big powerful whatever.

Whitehorse Press has the "Great Escapes" book for $19.95. It's the best book for motorcyclists on NZ in my opinion.

You will love the countries beauty, great roads, little traffic, super people. NZ in many parts is delightfully stuck in the 50/60's.:rofl

However the cops are right up to date.:puke1