New V-Strom: Ohio to North Dakota

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Buckeye Biker, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Buckeye Biker

Buckeye Biker Williston, ND

Oddometer:
    I'm a new member to the forum, but I figured I'd skip the introduction and record my first trip! I just bought a 2012 V-Strom 650 in Columbus, OH and rode it back to where I'm working in Williston, ND. Fortunately, after putting a couple hundred miles on the V in Columbus, the 470 miles from "the heart of it all" to my friend's apartment in Madison, WI got me to the 600 mile service (and freedom from the 5000 rpm restriction by Suzuki)!

After the service and a great day exploring Madison (you badgers have a beautiful campus and city), I headed off on I-94 (thank goodness for highways) to Minneapolis to catch a Twins game with another friend. It was great to let the v-twin run above the invisible 5k rpm wall.

The long final leg of the trip from Minneapolis to Williston and my 6'5" height forced me to learn how to ride in some pretty creative positions to avoid the butt and knee pain caused by the first two days. I ran into my first rain just outside of Minot, ND, but I took the opportunity to eat at Schatz Crossroads Truckstop before finishing the ride into Williston. Their spicy cheeseburger soup was a pleasant surprise!

Total distance: 1362 miles
    Total time: 26 hrs

I'm planning my next trip to Whitefish, MT to explore Glacier National Park. If anybody knows of any "must see" places in Montana, let me know!
  2. xrjak

xrjak Day Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I Was in Williston today and saw a nice black Vee with panniers sitting on the street by TacoJohns. Yours? Was A great looking bike. xrjak
  3. Goran69

Goran69 MNE

Oddometer:
    Ok.....started nice....riding writing taking pics.....you have sir done 2 of 3....dont stop you are doing well....
  4. Gramp-Z

Gramp-Z Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome noob . As a WeeStrom rider and being 5'8" with a bad knee and hip , I couldn't ride too far without my highway pegs mounted off of my skid plate . They make the day go much better . Don't forget around here , no pictures , it didn't happen . Enjoy the nut house
  5. jbar28

jbar28 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From another 650 V-Strom rider, born and raised in Columbus, just want to say hello and welcome. Glad your first road trip was a good one, make sure there are plenty more to follow! Now, all we need is a few pictures...
  6. Dirtbiker

Dirtbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope I did not ruin my bike. I did exceed 5000rpm, but not sustained. Everything as I know it works, I'm under 800 mile on the odometer.
  7. oldswimr

oldswimr Flatlander

Oddometer:
    I was born in Williston, in 1958. Dad was an oilfield worker there. Am picking up a new to me 2007 Wee-Strom Saturday, already outfitted. (read, 'NOOB') I'm in NC, planning trips to the BRP already.
  8. Tex83

Tex83 Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer:
    You're gonna love the 'zuk, I have an '09 1000 and stretched it's legs on an Oklahoma trip this weekend. More impressed with the bike the more miles I put on. Word of advice, buy an airhawk for your distance rides. Made all the difference in the world. Barb has them for $59 right now in the clearance section on www.alaskanleather.com. Do it, your butt will thankyou :clap
  9. Futo

Futo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A year ago, the news reported about tons of jobs available in Williston. I googled it and found a few site with people saying the reports were exaggerated and (at the time) at least a year late in reporting on the need for bodies. What kind of work are you doing? What's happening up there now? I HATE my stupid job and my DUMBASS boss.......
  10. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    In Southern Montana, Beartooth US 212 from Red Lodge towards Yellowstone is so awesome. You're crossing into Wyoming and if you don't want to go to Yellowstone, turn left on 296 Chief Joesph Highway and down to Cody or ??. Wind River Canyon is another great ride. Heck, I love all of Western Montana from the Canadian Border to Wyoming. :lol
  11. Buckeye Biker

Oddometer:

Yes, that was probably mine! I'm adding brush guards for the grips (to block wind) and some studded TKC 80s so I can keep riding on the snow/ice. I've been riding down to 10 degrees, but the snow won't melt and the stock tires are miserable on the slick stuff.
  12. Buckeye Biker

Oddometer:
    Wohnen Sie in Deutschland? Ich spreche ein Bisschen! It's always nice to meet another Ohioan, and I see that great minds have similar tastes in bikes.
  13. Buckeye Biker

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on taking a trip in the late fall to the East Coast. I'll be doing ~3000 miles around the West during a 3 week trip in May, so I'll need to save up vacation time before I can make it out there.
  14. Buckeye Biker

Oddometer:
    One of my coworkers is from Montana, and he suggested the Beartooth ride to me as well. I'll be posting photos from a 1300 mile trip I took at the end of the summer through Glacier National Park and the Gallatin National Forest. It's a beautiful area!
  15. bigskydrift

bigskydrift dual sport hooligan

Oddometer:
    hey Buckeye -
    I live in Missoula, MT. and I bought a new 2012 DL650 Adv. (Black) last April. I hope that you are enjoying your G as much as I am ! If you ever get back to western MT. give me a shout, we could take a ride together with these black beauties !