Fork lock up

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by guzzifreak750, Feb 17, 2013.

1. guzzifreak750

guzzifreak750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to see if anyone has encountered this before. I have an 03 GSA and while making a slow turn around in a parking lot the other day the fork lock engaged with the bike running and tossed me on the ground and broke the pin off. Called the local dealer and they had never heard of this happening. Anyone on here have this happen to them

Thanks for the help
  2. Dan Cãta

Dan Cãta Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you do any recent work on the bike in that zone? Are you thinking about the ignition key barrel locking up?

BTW, when did you have this line added to your signature? Before or after? "Keep the Rubber side Down!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :rofl

Dan.
  3. guzzifreak750

Oddometer:
    When you turn the key off then turn to the fork lock position. It locked while ignition was on and bike was running. No work has been done in that area really at all other than a fork seal 50k ago. Figured there might be one other person on here that may have run into this.

The quote was done way before and there are only two kinds of adv riders those who have recked and those that will.

Please let me know if anyone has had a similar problem. Next clean up I'm going to remove the top tree and get a closer look.
  4. Ayrshire Bull

Ayrshire Bull why the hell not?

Oddometer:
    haven't had this GF - but my steering lock has (like Elvis) left the building.

i.e., left - gone away - no longer here.

If you happen to find you have TWO on your bike, would you consider sending me one, because I am most definitely one short.
  5. rdwalker

rdwalker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you sure it was the steering lock? I am on this board quite a while and never heard of a self-engaging lock. That's a novel one.

On the other hand: several years back, I was test-riding my GS after another winter of major electrical farkling. The steering locked on me in a turn, dropping me. Luckily, it was just at walking pace.

It came out that I did not bundle the added wiring tight enough to front frame tubing. The forks moved under load more than I expected and bound up against the wires. The bike was unloaded when I did the installation and I did not realize how much clearance was needed: there was plenty of room when I moved steering side-to-side on the centerstand.

Lessons learned: A.) Keep everything out of way of the forks, tight at frame. B.) Wear helmet even for a shakedown ride down the driveway.
  6. guzzifreak750

Oddometer:
    I have not done any farkeling in this area. I know it sounds nuts but the steering locked while making a slow u turn in a parking lot. Turned the handlebars back and they locked pulled hard on them and broke the lock there are no guts left in it were the pin that used to come out and lock them in place used to be. I also read this forum quite a bit and figured if it had happened it would have happened to someone on here. Thanks for any help
  7. guzzifreak750

Oddometer:
    What happened to your did you just remove it or how did it break?
  8. Ayrshire Bull

Ayrshire Bull why the hell not?

Oddometer:
    I have no idea what happened to mine.

It just stopped working - few months back.

I think I'll take a spin past the dealership sometime soon and have the lads take a look at it. I'll let you know if I find out anything interesting,

cheers -