Video game addicts...

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by EvilGenius, Feb 23, 2009.

1. ADK

ADK .

Oddometer:
    The latest Tomb Raider sucks. It's a war game that rips off LOST .:deal
  2. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    great new games are few and far in between.....

I was disappointed with Starcraft 2 but and still blown away by Battlefield 3
  3. tserts

tserts Chaotic Neutral

Oddometer:
    I got sucked in by torchlight 2... It is a really thought out and well designed game. Simple but fun, a great diablo 3 replacement.
  4. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:
    I've been playing multiplayer black ops 2 with my boy. He is thrilled to be showing me all the tips and tricks of the game, so it's worth playing for that alone. Now that I'm getting used to the weapons and maps, it's actually decent . I still wish fall out 4 was on the way soon.
  5. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    Just had a major oh shit moment.....1/3 of the way through Assassins Creed Revelations and it freezes while saving :eek1

Then it wouldn't load my game at all and I was debating just giving up since I didn't want to redo that much of the game. But then I took one of the 2 save files and put it in the cloud and it works!!!! Well until 10 min later and it froze again, but not at a save point at least :lol3
  6. ThePikeman

ThePikeman German n00b

Oddometer:
    Maybe try to change it up a bit. Redo an old mission you messed up. That could get the variables out of the danger zone.
  7. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    It started crashing right away again, deleted save file A (got a warning that everything might not be in save file B) and got the hell out of Constantinople as fast as I could and played an animus mission I had waiting. I go back in and do a master assassin mission that I hadn't tried before....it works for 5 min then crashes :baldy

Now it wont get out of the loading screen again, I saved the file that works to a USB key (post animus mission) so I'll try redoing an old mission again. If that doesn't work screw UBISoft and I'm glad I didn't pay for ACIII.

So if the older mission doesn't work any ideas?

Also I've been watching too much Archer lately, when I read Danger Zone all I could think of was this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lAJpEisJOIM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edit.....and another freeze at a save point.
  8. ImaPoser

Oddometer:
    Ok. It's been six months since the last time I looked and decided that my old computer would have to get me by for a bit longer. Time to start shopping again. I'm still thinking about buying some geeks used gaming setup off craigslist, trying to keep costs in the less than $700 range. Anything in particular I should avoid or must have? :ear

couple examples -

:confused
  9. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    Why the 1200 W power supply on the first one? Go a good bit Lower and then a GTX 660 or 660 Ti.

Also IIRC green drives are 5,400 RPM so don't go for that. Maybe a little more SSD, and I know this is your AMD box but I'm kinda clueless on their CPU's but I can tell you a i5 quad core is all you need. My Xeon from 2010 is having no problem with games....it seems today a mid range CPU is fine and the GPU will be the big performance gain.
  10. Jonnylotto

Jonnylotto Zipper Club with Clusters

Oddometer:
    Your intel quote is off target. Core i5 is the CPU you want for a budget system(or even i3 if you're sqeezing quarters). Also, the SSD should be 120~240GB. The 120s are actually cheaper per GB than the 80s and you'll want the space. Ditch the 17" monitor and go 20~24", easily grep'd for under $200. Also ditch that motherboard; absolutely no reason not to have SATA6 support if you're going to use SSD for your OS drive.

If this is just going to be a gaming rig, wait a little longer and put some more power into it. If it has to be your main PC then ditch the water cooling and overclocking. In every case I can think of, it's cheaper to buy the power you need, stock, than to add it in the aftermarket and more reliable to boot. :evil
  11. Ray of Sunshine

Ray of Sunshine Happy Grrrl

Oddometer:
    Try as I might, I cannot get into Skyrim. I tried it as a loan form the liberry, but after buying acopy, I find it tedious beyond all belief. I think it is the whole Renaissance Faire/ D&D thing. Please, Bethesda, can we haz Fallout 4?
  12. ImaPoser

Oddometer:
    That's just two example of what I'm seeing on craigslist in my price range. I understand the guys reasoning on the 80gb hard drive, as my current computer only has 40gb, and I have an external 1tb hard drive, which I still haven't found a need for.
    Would I be better off ordering a new one from one of the places that builds them to your specs, or is it really that easy to buy the components and putting them together myself? I'm lost on this, I've always bought the cheapest system on closeout at microcenter in the past, and manage to run them for 5-8 years. Of course, I never have used them for more than email, and web surfing. Heck, this one can't even play you tube videos without serious lockup time, and just about any web site that has stuff that auto loads and plays has to be avoided unless I want to sit here and look at the hourglass thingy spin for five minutes. :lol3
  13. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U8HVQXkeU8U?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:eek1
  14. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I may have to upgrade my computer for that one :eek1

Wasn't BF3 "made for" the PC then ported to XBox and PS3? If so, I hope they do that for this one as well. I know xbox and PS numbers blow away PC gamers now, but man that gameplay looks good!
  15. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    It has to be....there's no way the XBox can do those graphics. I know my GTX 660 is at the edge of being able to properly run BF3 so I'm hoping I wont lose much of that :tb with BF4.

I just wish they would do Steam....now I'm going to have Steam, Desura, UPlay, and Origin on any PC. But looking around Origin does do sales so I think I'll pick up BF4 on Black Friday online. I did that for Borderlands 2 on XBox 360 and you wait 2 months and get the game for half off.

There will be PS3/360 versions for sure but the next generation systems will also be out around then and they will likely be able to provide the equivalent of maxed out PC graphics @ 1080P. There's less overhead with a console and they can optimize it for a specific GPU which helps...and is why decade old technology in the 360 is just starting to really show its age in the last year or 2.
  16. Dismount

Dismount Dagnabit billy

Oddometer:
    Holy shitballs.

That's puuuurty.
  17. Keyser Soze 1

Keyser Soze 1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picked up Bioshock Infinite. Have only played 5 minutes of it, but so far it's pretty clean :lol3 Very colorful like the others. Can't wait to play some more.
  18. thumperpilot

thumperpilot Thumper Pilot

Oddometer:

Yea, I know what you mean.

I'll be adding that one to my game library when it's released.

19. thumperpilot

thumperpilot Thumper Pilot

Oddometer:
    And now I know where you got the video.

:lol3

20. MN_Smurf

MN_Smurf Capt_Confusion

Oddometer:

I don't care how pretty it is. After the steaming pile of crap that was the Sim City release, can we really trust EA to do BF4 right? I don't.