Selling a bike: leave the fruit on it?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by spacekadet, Jun 1, 2015.

1. spacekadet

spacekadet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in opinions on whether it is best to strip off the goodies and sell them separately to the bike, or leave it "as is".

It's certainly a lot easier to go with the "as is" option. But my feeling is that the sale price likely won't be boosted much by luggage and adventure gear which cost thousands in the first place. On top of that, it mainly appeals to hardcore adv types, so it's a much smaller market.

I spoke to a dealer friend about it on the weekend and he recommended "as is" ... but then he probably never pays market value anyway :(
  2. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Been a long long while since ive sold a bike but guess it depends on what the bike is and what the mods are - it certainly differentiates it to the other bikes offered for sale.
  3. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    Looking at selling my old 'White Beast', I was thinking of giving the buyer the option of 'as is' or back to standard trim :deal
    [​IMG]
    A lot of good touring gear on the old bastard & it's all been tested & sorted, on a vintage bike that's been proven reliable, :wink:
    [​IMG]
    Work out what it's worth to you to take the gear off & sell it, as apposed what you are going to get for the bike, I know if I buy another bike - I'd like the option to buy it already set up & proven :gerg
    Cheers
    Baza
  4. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    Added fruit makes a bike quicker to move but the going rate is only a bit more than without the fruit , depends if if want to muck about selling bits and peices or move the lot in one go . More money , but more work to part out the fruit and return the bike to stock for separate sales . You can sometimes get stuck with some items too if they are not really desirable for second hand purchase .
  5. Phil_Fong

Phil_Fong Over Regulated

Oddometer:
    I stopped selling bikes in the early 90's :rofl
  6. Not the Messiah

Not the Messiah Old enough to know better, but slow learnin'

Oddometer:
    From a bloke with various bits and pieces from the last two bikes still floating around in the shed, leave it all on and give it to the buyer whether he wants it or not!
    I've got screens, tank bags, racks & bags from common older models which havn't moved on Gumtree or bike website classifieds.

Good luck whichever way you go...
    Brian L
  7. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:

In my case, I'll just use it on the next XS650 I build!!!! :lol3
    Cheers
    Baza
  8. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Sell the 'fruit' first .. that way you'll know it is gone.

Brother still has a tow bar from a car he sold ..new owner did not want to pay extra for it .. so Bro spent some hours taking it off .. will probably have to throw it out....
  9. crash n bern

crash n bern Long timer

Oddometer:
    By the time you get around to pulling all the fruit off the market will have softened and you'll get nothing for the bike. Just push it into the back of the shed and buy another one.

A mate of mine sells his all set up and gets good money for them. I don't know how he does that.

But yeah, I still have fruit lying around from a bike I sold 9 years ago. So these days I would be inclined to sell it set up, unless I was buying a newer version of the same bike and the fruit fitted it.
  10. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    At some stage i'll get another DR650. The one's on my shortlist will have tank, pipe, protection, suspension, seat, luggage etc. The more of the accepted mods done to it the appeal it will have to me.
  11. Dean Ohlin

Dean Ohlin inner city elite

Oddometer:
    Depends on how everything lines up at the time.

A few years ago I sold my DR650 on the fleamarket here.

I stripped everthing (pannier racks, bashplate, big tank etc, etc) of it and sold it stock standard, because I was going to fit all the gear to the new DR I intended to buy.

The bike took a long time to sell, I dropped the price a couple of times and ended up selling it for rock bottom to another inmate.

In the meantime I decided to buy a Yamaha instead. I then advertised all the gear I had taken off the DR on the fleamarket, initially as a job lot, thinking I could to split it up later if it proved necessary.

By then, the bloke who'd bought the bike was looking to set it up, saw all the bling advertised and bought it, saving himself heaps on the price of new stuff.

So he still got a good deal, and I, despite selling the bike cheap, ended up with a fair price, and both of us, being honourable gentleman, were happy.

So, there you go. Just replicate all of those circumstances and you should get exactly the same outcome (perhaps).
  12. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat right about now.

Adv footpegs off - original skinny ones on.
    Rox Risers off.
    Screen lip extender off.
    Pannier racks off.
    Crashbars stays on.
    Headlight protector stays on.
  13. panhead_pete

panhead_pete Gone riding

Oddometer:
    If you have the time and inclination you may come out slightly ahead taking it back to stock but at this time of year a lot of guys are looking for bikes ready to go maybe slightly different later in the year.
  14. OldDog

OldDog non impediti ratione cogitationis

Oddometer:
    Good question. My thoughts are, if you have the time and the "farkles" are expensive ones eg exhaust, then do it. You'll get bugger all extra for a bike with aftermarket exhaust, say 15-20% of the exhausts value, as opposed to up to 50-60% of its value cleaned up and thrown on Fleabay or Ebay.

My 2 cents worth
  15. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep some farkles on the bike to make it stand out from the crowd, but remove the expensive desirable ones and part them out. It worked for me recently. The new buyer was happy that it has some bling and I recouped abut 50% value of the value of the parted out bits. I recycled a few generic bits to my new bike too.

Some things are just too time consuming to remove though.
  16. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    I tried selling my 525 with everything, two bigger tanks, oil cooler and various other crap.

I think I put it on eBay for $1500 and had no interest at all.

So I sold of the tanks and the oil cooler, kept some other crap, put it back on eBay and got $2000 for it...

Your results may vary though.
  17. Pieeyedpiper

Pieeyedpiper Dude

Oddometer:
    Pay it forward. I have bits from so many leftovers. They rarely are of use again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. Bigem

Bigem Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I sell a bike these days with the intention of replacing it with a similar bike, I take off only the stuff that I know will transfer and work as it should, everything else stays on, I have a shed full of useless stuff, no need to add to it!

Apart from my current 'riders', I stopped selling bikes 20 years ago.:rofl:rofl:rofl