KTM 950 Supermoto Luggage Solution

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Just Bob, May 30, 2008.

1. Just Bob

Just Bob Been There Done That

Oddometer:
    My goal - A medium sized soft bag for day to day stuff and a top box for hitting the shops or locking up the helmet. After scouring the forums it became apparent that the JC Whitney top box at $85 shipped including mounting plate was the deal-de-jour. Except for a stupid iron cross that you can pop off the top and throw out, it looks and feels like it will do the job just fine.

I didn't want a hassle swapping back and forth, so I bought some flat and angle aluminum stock from the local Nobodys Home Depot and made a custom frame to fit the KTM soft bag to fit it to the JC Whitney top box mount plate. I can now switch back and forth with a single screw!

Originally I was going to mount the JC Whitney top box plate to the KTM one, but it was backordered so I simply drilled holes in the plate and mounted it direct using some round aluminum tubing to make spacers. I had run down to the store and bought some metric bolts for the mounting, but lo and behold, I get it fit and realize that the bolts that came with the top box were exactly the right size, so all you'd need is some spacer material.

Here it is - The el-cheapo home hack job that the janitor at KTM should have engineered for the not-so-hard parts catalog.

An advantage of making my own plate for the soft bag was that I could engineer it so that the bag doesn't hang way off the back. It has to be removed to take off the seat, but its a snap with a single screw. The screw hole is visable in the rear view pic. I just used a sheet metel screw going into the top box mount latch thingie. If you wanted to be really Gucci, you could use an aircraft style ball lock pin here for a tool free installation.

I threw on a 'Boz Bros' sticker and a piece of pin striping tape to give it that factory look...

Cheers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Tifighter

Tifighter thread killer

Oddometer:
    Cool stuff. But stop it, would you? I keep telling myself NO 950SM since I can't commute/tour etc. with it. Or at least that's what my bank account wants me to believe. Seeing that nice bag set-up isn't helping...:wink:
  3. wes_tulsa

wes_tulsa Wanted: a vagabond life

Oddometer:
    Not bad looking. I've spent the last month trying to figure out the luggage situation on my Supermoto. My buddies and I like to do weekend trips in northern Arkansas to ride the twisty roads. The first trip I hauled everything in a backpack. Big mistake as it was a burden on the 150 mile ride over. I've been trying to find a solution for short trips I can live with. SW-Motech has a new set of aluminum panniers called Trax Alu-Box that mount on removeable brackets. Unfortunately no one know when they'll be available.

I couldn't bring myself to mount a Givi topcase so I ended up buying a Ventura Pack Aero Spada VII system. It gives me 51 liters of storage and can be added to easily to give almost 100 liters total storage. Best of all it is removeable when not being used and won't be an eye sore.

Wes
  4. volbeat22

volbeat22 n/a

Oddometer:
    Nicely done Bob!
  5. Garry

Garry Bleeds Orange...

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving for a 10-day, 3000+ mile trip to the Ozarks on Friday. Just did a test fit of my luggage on my SMR. Clothes in the topcase (in soft luggage), raingear and tools in one saddlebag, 2L fuel, motor oil, chain lube, etc in the other saddlebag. Camera, wallet, etc in the tankbag. Here's what the setup looks like:

[​IMG]
  6. GunshipDriver

GunshipDriver Coming to America!!!

Oddometer:
    Where'd you get the aluminum tubing? What did you use to cut it or does it matter?
  7. Just Bob

Oddometer:
    Not sure you're asking me, but... On the frame that carries my KTM soft bag on the top case bracket, aluminum angle and flat stock and rivits from NobodysHome Depot. Cut with hacksaw type blade in a jig saw. Notches and straight cuts with a moto-tool. Finished with a handfile. I know...LOL, old school.
  8. doctor_big

doctor_big Rode hard and put up wet

Oddometer:
    I installed this rigmarole on my 950SM. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/3742/656/

It's an outstanding solution. The racks attach in seconds, and with them off there's only a couple of unobtrusive brackets left on the bike. The setup is solid, well-made and sanitary.

I added two GIVI bags, and they hold about 46L each. That's more than enough with my tankbag. I'm travelling from Toronto Canada to the Ozarks in August. I should have plenty of room.

Jason
  9. Just Bob

Oddometer:
  10. zoki1

zoki1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :ricky Hi! I have KTM 950 sm, the bike is PERFECT but i feel i need more air protection a nice windscreen on the front will be good! If anyone have please e-mail me... at sportmac@rogers.com THANK YOU!!!!!
  11. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Here's what we've tried so far: Laminar Lip makes both a short and a tall screen. The "dual lock" mount is a little wimpy, but that can easily be changed.

http://www.laminarlip.com/

KTMs Touring Screen for the 690 is the current "most popular" and my fave:

http://www.ktmtwins.com/690supermoto/75008065044.html

MS Racing makes a little screen that only seems to add turbulence, in my opinion. Your results may differ.

http://hs.shop.t-online.de/catalog....4EF12E4E3DA09800BC5CE0BF77$VID_1221$CID_66405
  12. lukeinlondon

lukeinlondon LC GSA/Helix

Oddometer:
    Interested in the sw motech side carrier. Can anyone confirm whether it fits the 950 smr as well?
  13. Chris618

Chris618 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes it will fit. I recently gave one away.
  14. scottm_176

scottm_176 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Everyone,

Here are some pics of the top box i have for my 07 SMR, it was originally a seat base out of an aluminum fishing boat that i came across at work. I mounted it to a black dog rear plate, gravel guarded it, and of course had to slap a nice KTM sticker on it. Works awesome for a weekend trip and a whole lot better than a back pack!

does anyone know if the sw motech side carriers for the sm also work on the smr? thinking of doing some longer trips and some panniers would be a plus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. johnwoodsrides

johnwoodsrides Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have pics of hard cases on the 950 SM?

Thanks,

John
  16. johnwoodsrides

Oddometer:
    Bueller?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Seriously? No hard bags on a SM? Or are all the bikes still in storage?
  17. nattyMo

nattyMo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. johnwoodsrides

Oddometer:
    Thanks, and yes I had done a Google search, was wondering if anyone has done anything custom or out of the ordinary. Seems most SM guys keep them fairly stock. The 990 SMT would probably have been more of what I was wanting, but the 950 SM was in my price range, so I am making it a touring bike as best I can. Always interested to see what customization people do to their bikes.
  19. doctor_big

doctor_big Rode hard and put up wet

Oddometer:
    Here's my setup... [​IMG]
  20. johnwoodsrides

Oddometer:
    Who's racks did you use? Or did you fabricate them?