Turn her in or get her fixed? Cracked up 990 S

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by chrish4ku, Jan 16, 2013.

1. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:

More to it than slid and broke some plastic, slick. Direct impact to the front end pushed the whole Nav tower back into the ignition. It even bent the key. If that ends up not being an issue and all that wiring harness stuff still works it shouldn't be an issue.

As far as my ability - I 'd be happy to show you how to ride a 990 in the California desert.
  2. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:

Nice transition man.
  3. Tessier

Tessier Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went through this once before with progressive. They totaled my bike and offered a very reasonable by back which I should have taken but decided against. The reason being is I didn't want a salvage title pure and simple. If I went through the cost and effort to rebuild the bike I didn't want to have that much money in a pristine bike with a salvage title.

However if it was an Adventure bike that had a good chance of hitting the dirt there is no way I wouldn't buy it back in a heart beat. If I were in your shoes I would do a complete tear down drill and Ty wrap all the plastic I could and rebuild an offroad warrior out of it!

If by chance they do total it please post the buy back price and offer it up to one of us before letting them take it. Also remember this accident will be recorded on the title with will reduce the resale value. You should also be getting compensation for that.
  4. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good Point for sure....
  5. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn Motorhead!

Oddometer:

If the title doesn't transfer to the insurance company it doesn't get rebranded as salvage. So the typical "buy back" the insurance company never ends up with the title. They just reduce your check by the amount of the buy back. Title never transfers, doesn't end up with a salvage mark on it.

Also, many states simply drop the salvage branding after a vehicle is a certain age. So I wouldn't bank too heavily on the system.
  6. walstibsf

walstibsf Thar R fair WX riders and there are MOTORCYCLISTS

Oddometer:
    A thought: California is way more "Zig Hile" than Colorado ever thought about in this area, so I'd proceed very cautiously.

Chris's situation is so ironic. We dodge the eighteen wheelers, beemers with bitch on phone, etc., and some dipshit on a rusty old bike could've punched your ticket. Proof positive that a pebble at the wrong place and time can ruin your day.

I'd also insist that the insurance company pay for a fluid change(oil minimum) and a full diagnostic if she stays.

Good luck, Chris......
  7. zeegman

zeegman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I destroyed one Adventure and kept it and bought another very good used one.

That was two years ago. I have now either reused parts from that bike on my newer one or completed parted out what was left. Recovered my complete cost of the bike. Just need patience.

Mike Z
  8. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    Yes but they would only pay the listed shop labor rate if the check was directly sent to the shop (or the shop billed them).

Again, I think this varies significantly depending on the state you live in. Every states insurance and vehicle licencing regulations are different.
  9. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will certainly clarify with Progressive on the title thing this week. Great input.
  10. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    So Option #1 is..................

Give it to them and take $11,700.00 plus all new riding gear.

Option #2 comes tomorrow. Buyback. They are crunching numbers.

#1 sounds OK right...:evil
  11. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    So they are totaling it? Do you know why? Must be more than just the tanks/fairing.

For a 2008. Err, yeah that sounds ok to me but I'd still wait and hear the buyback offer.
  12. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:

Buyback offer comes tomorrow...stay tuned!!
  13. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    There is a very high probability that the buy back will be greater than it is worth IF you are having a shop perform the work. If you are performing the work it MIGHT be worth it to pass on the 11.7k + gear (another 1k?).

Granted, the "real" damage may be very minimal, the cost to fix it is going to be >4k if the tanks are messed up (even just scratched) if taking it to a shop.

Wait until it makes it to the insurance auction then buy it :evil
  14. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    Yes I read that :D It'll be interesting to hear what percentage (of blue book) they use to gauge whether to repair or total. It varies widely depending on state and insurance company, sometimes it's as high as 75%, sometimes as low as 50%. Make sure you find out in as much detail as possible what the actual damage is to help guide your decision. Perhaps they can send you pictures. I assume the money for the riding gear is independent of whether you accept the settlement or do a buyback.
  15. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    The mentioned above, is the price as is with add-ons given for the bike only. They will also give funds for all my damaged protective gear on top of this. Up to $3K.

Chris
  16. oldgoat57

oldgoat57 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Take the money and run !! Why go through all the hassle of fixing it ?? Just my opinion of course
  17. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn Motorhead!

Oddometer:
    Why the hell would you spend $4k on factory tanks when you could put the aftermarket 10g units on there for $1600 ish:huh.....and gain a ton of usable capacity and durability. Not to mention it would add value to the bike:deal

Who the hell wants to ride a stock bike? With the exception of one or two little parts everything that needs replaced there is an upgraded component for. To me, this looks like an opportunity to upgrade the bike and maybe have some coin in your pocket after doing so. Or I guess you could spend all that money to just have another stock bike:cry
  18. crazybrit

Oddometer:
    Hard to believe but some people don't have the mad farkling gene :D
  19. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh - I got the farkle gene.....

I also got a desire for the R model. I pretty much have all my farkles in my garage ready to either go on this bike or a 2010-2012.

I talked to the estimator who did the assessment. He said the frame might be bent, and the forks might be bent. I got the conclusion that means both could be perfectly OK as well. It was eyeballed not measured. The point of impact was mainly to the head unit.
  20. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    Tell me more about this mythical creature; the one who could resist the call of the farkle.

:dllama