2013 AMA Pro Flat Track Thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by DogBoy, Jan 29, 2013.

1. MrEndo

MrEndo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sitting in my room in downtown Peoria right now.... Riding back after the race Sunday and then riding back out (leave Sacto on the 23rd) to Springfield for the double header.
  2. r77toy

r77toy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Speedway bikes have been added to the Pomona program.
  3. internalcombust

internalcombust What a blast!

Oddometer:
    I could get up to Peoria in 7 hours....
  4. kirk69er

kirk69er Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ..i would have thrown down big money to bet hank wiles would not 9peet
    after breaking down on the white flag lap in his heat. he has that track
    dialed in for sure. coming from the third row, he was in the lead by
    lap 7 or 8. .damm.. .2nd time he has passd baker for a win and
    aint no doubt, bad brad aint liking that. props to #12 for winnin'
    the singles championship. (joke). and look out baby, let the
    games begin.. aint nobody gonna stop #42 from winning
    it all now. the Howerton/kawasaki is too developed to
    allow any H-D to pass on a straight, throw johnson
    on the lloyd brothers ducati as a spoiler & maybe
    baker can get a championship.. that's who i'm
    pulling for.. #12 brad baker. national champ.
    <table height="193" width="295"><tbody><tr><td style="padding-right: 10px;" align="left" valign="top">
    </td><td style="padding-right: 10px;" align="left" valign="top"> Round 8
    Indy Mile Indiana State Fairgrounds
    Indianapolis,

</td><td style="width:185px;" align="right" valign="top"> Aug 17

</td></tr></tbody></table>
  5. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Must have been exciting to watch in person. I was thinking Wiles streak was over when I saw that his bike broke in the heat. Impressive win for sure. :clap
  6. Feo

Feo Commentator

Oddometer:
    17 times 9 equals......

Henry Wiles.

:wings

Had to run the last chance qualifier to make the main, he won both going away.

When he passed Baker for the lead, lots of folks around us got up and started leaving.

Smooooooooth and fast today.
  7. vee2win

vee2win oldnwiser

Oddometer:
    Thought the same after semi. Crazy on TT's! Congrats to Rod Spencer, too.
  8. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    Only a matter of time before HDs get to run bigger ID restrictor plates..... Then it will be the same old train of potato bikes again. You can see it now. All those fans up there are wearing orange/black and they aren't cheering for KTMs:D. Kawasaki will not fight that move, nor will Triumph or Ducati or Suzuki or KTM. The AMA/DMG want HDs to win to keep those fans coming.
  9. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    I've been going to flattrack races for 20 years, I don't know a single person that ISNT excited about other brands coming to the sport and winning.
    I said it before, let Harley build something that can win, don't punish others for their hard work. I really hope the ama stands it's ground and supports the hard work that other teams are doing, instead of sucking Harleys ass by changing the rules to favor them, AGAIN.
    damn, I'd love to see Honda and Yamaha in there as well, now THAT would be some great flattrack!!!!!!
  10. kirk69er

kirk69er Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. IgoFar

IgoFar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to see other brands starting to do well in the series. This brings more money, more fans, and more exposure to the sport. For quite a while now, the series has been more like glorified vintage racing.
  12. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:

It also brings more racers..... An EX650 based tracker is 1/3 the price of an XR750. You can easily have a back up bike or TT bike also in the stable for the same money. But, with that said, HD is still the only FACTORY with any involvement and has kept the sport alive over the years. I am really surprised that Triumph especially has not jumped in with both feet.... At least 1 bike. The other problem is displacement. It should be an 800 cc rule to reflect what is really out there in production.
    Then there is the GREED on the part of DMG. Where are the nice rider purses? Flattrack does not pay enough and forces great riders like Beach and Hayden out to greener pastures.
  13. DogBoy

Oddometer:
    The purses are paid by the promoters and they were weak well before DMG was on the scene. Rain outs hurt worse than the purse. The Sacramento Mile had a large purse which I'm sure helped after the two rainouts where teams encountered travel expenses for NO money.

Want bigger purses? Pay higher ticket prices and but more products from sponsors. Thats where the larger purse money will come from.
  14. stk0308

stk0308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Triumph is backing Johnny Lewis on the Latus Bonnie.
    Off the top of my head there's the BMW F800, the Triumph 800 Tiger, and a Ducati 796(which is really 803cc). No Japanese bikes come readily to mind. How is that reflective of what's really out there?
  15. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    no Japanese bikes??? how about the awesomely fast Kawis that keep winning, based on the ninja/versys motor!!!!
  16. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    Next year they go back to a 750cc rule so all those Euro bikes you mention (and Lewis's Triumph) are out. It is well planned to favor 1 factory just like always. They should also allow 800cc triples if someone wants to try those. A Japanese 650 is at a disadvantage. So which HD in their line-up of production bikes is a 750? NONE OF THEM! I mean that 800s are the new 750s and are in the marketplace and should be raced. Soon the restrictors will all be off those XR750s and those Kaws will not keep up. I have seen this before. Good for Triumph for keeping at least 1 foot in the game.This is not a "factory effort" like it was defined in the 70s however...or they would be after Smitty, Mees, Halbert to ride for them.
  17. stk0308

stk0308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    True. I was limiting my thinking to just 800cc. But as buls points out a 650 twin should be at a disadvantage due to pure displacement compared to another modern motor at 800cc.
  18. stk0308

stk0308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought AMA Pro backed off of that plan?
    Well, nothing is a "factory effort" like the early 70's in dirt track anymore :) Even the HD support of...wait, who are they supporting now again? Oh yeah, Kenny Coolbeth Jr. Even that support isn't what it used to be. Certainly doesn't guarantee results lately.
  19. IT 400

IT 400 Junk Collector

Oddometer:
    Johnny Lewis is more than capable of producing the results ANY team would want from their rider. Just my opinion...
  20. DogBoy

Oddometer:
    Anyone at the Indy Mile spotting all the GP VIPs in the paddock?