938 Miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway (mostly pics)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by rockinrog, Oct 14, 2010.

1. onetravdown

onetravdown I can't ride where?

Oddometer:
    That's not true. I just got a ticket a month ago going 57 in a 45 by the least friendly female ranger I've ever had the 'pleasure' of meeting. Anyway, it had to paid within 30 days not 7.

2. Nightfall

Nightfall Disco-Trash

Oddometer:
    I'll take what you rode in any day of the week, throw some light fog and nice chilly or cold weather in and I'm happy, sunshine get's old for me ... really quick.
  3. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    I thought I'd share what an observant friend of mine had to relate regarding riding the BRP, since I know many people are perusing this thread to learn more about riding it prior to embarking.

4. Bocephous

Bocephous Unvaxxed Deplorable Bitter Clinger

Oddometer:
    I think I may have met the same officer.

I visited the BRP about a month ago. Early on (in Virginia) I checked my mirror and noted I was being tailgated by a white vehicle. I was probably doing around 55mph. I couldn't tell what kind of vehicle it was so I flicked on my right turn signal, pulled to the right side of the lane and waved them by.

Then the blue lights came on.

Youngish female officer (Officer Biatch if I remember correctly) jumped out of her car after I pulled over and started screaming something about how it would have been my fault if she had actually passed me and hit an oncoming vehicle. Told her I was sorry and asked if she wanted to see my license to which she responed "NO!" and got back in her car.
  5. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wowser sounds like a real bitch

6. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    As silly as that may have been, the bottom line is I'd rather have 'em bitch me out and let me go than to be sweet as sugar and hand me a fat ticket! :getiton

:shog I've been let go for triple digits in a 55 :eek1 :knary
  7. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    enjoyed this taking the wife in sept north to south:D
  8. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    North to South the best way if you have to choose IMHO.
  9. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    i'm thinking that way if she tired of riding by the end of the trip we'll be closer to home:D plus if we mess around and don't finish it'll be easy to get to later.
  10. soboy

soboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The BRP is my all time favorite motorcycle road, there is something so zen-like about the combination of the natural beauty, the continuous curves and the seemingly endless ribbon of twisty asphalt. I have found that it is most enjoyable when the kids are in school as the traffic really lightens up then compared to the summer. On a fast bike, it is very hard to keep the speed down, but on a bike that is fun at slower speeds, it is motorcycling nirvana. Here is a pic from one of my many rides on the BRP.

[​IMG]
  11. fabio222

fabio222 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some absolutely stunning pictures there! I really enjoyed flicking through the thread to see them and also to read some of the comments as well. I hope to ride the BRP someday myself because a good friend of mine who lives in Boone NC put me up for a few days while I was over from Ireland traveling along the East Coast and down South. She drove us up into the mountains and it is was stunningly beautiful...and the road was nice and twisty so my immediate thought was "gotta come back here on a bike someday".
  12. ONandOFF

Oddometer:
    That's really cool, fabio222, coming from Ireland to ride our roads! :getiton
    I would think normally we'd be the ones wanting to ride your country!
    Hope you get the chance to come and ride here, enjoy yourself, and ride safe. If you need anything up near the north end just give a shout and I'll see what I can do. Would be honored to ride a piece with ya!
    Cheers! :freaky
  13. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just a note of caution: speed traps do exist from time to time on the BRP, e.g. around Price park and grandfather, and it's a federal offense.

This could be renamed the Blue Ridge Parkway Love thread. Late April is another good time to ride: not too cold, lots of blooms, leaves still off the trees at higher elevation so the views are even more plentiful, very little car traffic, and fun but technically undemanding, sweeeeet. As was posted earlier, a zen experience.
  14. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I won't be able to make a BRP trip this year due to taking 2 weeks off to ride out west and see a few of the national parks.
    Even with over 5000 miles and seeing many states I had never been in before I still will miss my annual parkway pilgrimage.:cry
  15. steveb126

steveb126 Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer:
    +1, found it by accident, had breakfast and gassed up there after breaking breaking camp at Otter Creek.
  16. steveb126

steveb126 Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your report Rog !
    I was down last fall on Columbus Day 2011, met my nephew (who is working a CADCAM contract defense job outside DC) for some lunch. Wall to wall people that day. I had camped at Sherando Lake. Moto touring the BRP since '95 LOVE IT ! How far are you from Allegheny Nat'l Forest ? Its been a while but I've moto camped there also. Last time I was there the Kinzua RR bridge had been wiped out by an F5 tornado the year before.
  17. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are welcome.
    I am about 150 miles/ 3 hours from ANF. I moto camped up there a couple years ago visited Kinzua Dam the Kinzua Bridge and even crossed over into NY for a while. I will have to see if I can find the pics from that trip.
  18. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a long weekend over the Easter break this year.
    EDIT: It looks like Otter Creak and Linnville falls campgrounds will be open.
  19. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. John Nash

John Nash Bluenoser

Oddometer:
    Leaving April 20th with a buddy from Albany NY. I have done this trip the past two Aprils stopping in Otter Creek then Asheville in 2010. I stayed at Cherahola MC campground / Tellico Plains in a cabin for 5 nights.Buck was running the place at the time for the owners.Does anyone know if they are still operating? Last year it was for sale I heard. Nice cabins & very reasonable price.Last year I left home at noon and did Skyline south to 33 west to visit friends in Franklin,WV overnight. My ride to Asheville NC started the day from Franklin WV to Bonna Vista (BRP) Virginia.It was sunny in the 60's crisp and cool, my type of weather.I counted about a handful of cars all day on the BRP.Only saw one ranger, which made me pucker as I was doing about 20mph over the posted speed limit all day. IMHO spring is the best time of year for cooler weather and to enjoy everything in bloom.Summer there are way too many cars and RV's. MC's are no fun going slow and passing all the time is a real PITA. Thanks for posting all the pictures and information.The :D BRP is one of my favourite roads in the USA and probally the best all day road on the east coast.