New 250 retro style bike

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by moto-scoot bill, Mar 20, 2011.

1. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    Ditto....and I love mine!
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    looks like a dr motor?
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i think suzuki would do well be taking that platform and offering some variations or atleast offering it as accessories. maybe they do in japan? it's a sweet little 250 FI motor.
  4. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most mfrs are asleep at the wheel. It would be nice if other Jap mfrs would offer an updated standard like an EFI Nighthawk 250 with disc brakes. Suzuki has proven that a smaller economical EFI standard can be brought to market here. They just need to bring a similar multi-cylinder to market here. Most mfrs keep trying to push cruisers on us as their small streetbikes, like the Virago, Rebel, and Sportster.

We need more choices than cruisers, and all they would have to do is shove those same old engines into a standard frame with discs at both ends. A scrambler version would be SWEEET!

Why the hell did Honda put a front disc on the Rebel, but a drum on the USA Nighthawk? They could have used the same damn parts and saved money. They already did so with the engine and tranny. Parts are everywhere for those powertrains...or their many Chinese clones.

I bet Triumph will beat all the majors to market here with a small multi-cylinder standard...and they get it right.
  5. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    In reality, I think we need to place blame where it belongs = on our Govt. that makes it cost prohibitive for the Mfg's to import their bikes here due to emissions/safety certs etc.
    They make and sell what we want overseas but only import their niche money makers here due to the above reason.:ear
    Perhaps if most of the US population weren't Sheeple, we'd have more options. (?)
  6. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this is so retro...
    But they were going to do it...
    Then, their whole world caved in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    Its a step in the right direction, but I like the TU 250 much better.
    Why inverted forks on a vintage looking bike?
    Why on a 250 street bike at all?

The dealer thing is a non issue for me as well, no one works on my bikes but me, and a 250 single is stupid easy to work on, rebuild the entire motor in one day easy. Dealers don't stock any parts at all.

I guess there is not much market for 250 to 500cc bikes in the US, everyone is on a big motor craze. I talk with people, they want to trade up the old 883 sportster for a bigger motor, why, when the bike will do over 100 mph?

A vintage looking standard 500 twin with dual exhaust at 350 pounds would be great, as would the cb400ss or a TU 350....
  8. =retread=

=retread= freedom loving USA

Oddometer:
    go to scooter depot , same bike , less money !
  9. dc4stroke

dc4stroke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice retro bikes.
  10. jordan325ic

jordan325ic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've looked into this bike before.

http://www.clevelandcyclewerks.com/bikes/

Current picture:
    [​IMG]

It's actually called "tha misfit" now and is more of a cafe style. I think MSRP has gone up to $3200.

It's definitely a Chinese bike, but this one is built by an American company who spent extensive time in China finding the best manufacturers. They've got Americans in the factories over there to oversee quality control. Only the chopper has really hit the market here (tha heist) but they've been pretty highly reviewed. Everyone seems to love them, unlike most Chinese bikes that are hit or miss. Of course, that quality comes at a price, they're twice as much as your normal Chinese bike.

Dealer network is provided by pitbull distribution or something, a scooter distrubtor, with some 30ish locations around the country. According to interviews dealer support and parts availability are a big focus.

I'm excited to see how CCW does. Affordable, simple, small motorcycles? Awesome. I hope they do great.
  11. Onederer

Onederer Crunch Nugget

Oddometer:
    I could'nt find the engine specs on the Cleveland Cycleworks site, but I think the engine in those 250cc bikes is a pushrod design, not OHC.

Lifan has been selling a push rod 250cc engine for a while. A push rod 250cc engine is not zippy compared to any other OHC 250cc.
  12. Snoopjonnyjon

Snoopjonnyjon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd love a small lightweight bike, but not a slow dog of one. I just wish I could buy a new RD350.
  13. antonac

antonac Commuter

Oddometer:
    I live about 5 miles from my local dealer - a newly opened, very unassuming garage shop that seems to be doing extremely well.

I've seen 'Tha Heist' in person, but I don't think the café racer has seen the light of day yet. When it does, I will be looking upon it longingly.

I have serious reservations about owning a Chinese bike. I put hard city miles on my bikes, more than keeping up with traffic three hours a day. I killed a Roketa in less than two thousand miles. However I've been told that this particular manufacturer has taken pains to make sure that things are sturdier. I'm hoping that they live up to expectations, since a reliable bike that's this cheap and looks this good couldn't possibly be a market failure, even if it's a dog.
  14. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, fuel injected, 75 mpg, a headlight that works, I got mine for $3000.00 new.

15. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Pushrod or otherwise, I really have to wonder what kind of power these bikes will have...and suspension quality...and chassis stiffness...and...well. And for over $3000, I'd rather kick in a few hundred more and get a real motorcycle like a Ninja 250 or such. Nostalgia can only take one so far.
  16. maskachka

maskachka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recently got a chance to help my CCW dealer uncrate, assemble, and ride for about 40 miles a brand new CCW Misfit. I'm going to post a detailed review later.
  17. thunderkat59

thunderkat59 Old cooter on a slow scooter

Oddometer:
    I looked at one on Saturday. I see "Chinese" and immediately skeptical. But, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.
    The one I looked at was the "Misfit" and I a pretty sure I will buy one as soon as I can move my Burgman. The sticker stuff was a little chineezy, but the paint and chrome stuff while not Honda, was above Suzuki or Kawasaki quality. The Lifan motor is what it is . . . On scooter forums, some people getting zillions of miles, some getting having the usual clone motor complaints. The web site says they have five with 100k on them or something like that. The guy Scott, who owns the company will answer your emails within the hour if you have any questions. I love the small/old school premise of this bike. I'd love to have a '70's Jawa but or 3195, you really cant go too wrong. :thumb

:beer
  18. thunderkat59

thunderkat59 Old cooter on a slow scooter

Oddometer:
    "Dealer Support" for motorcycles ? Ha Ha . . Oxymoronic laffery abounds. :rofl
  19. moto-scoot bill

moto-scoot bill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A recent photo from a bike show in cali.

Attached Files:

20. Motodisiac

Motodisiac Moto Terrorist

Oddometer:
    I got one of these bikes last Saturday. Still working out little bugs and breaking it in, but it's been a blast thus far. Most people underestimate how much fun 250cc bikes could be.