Volar chain

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Lesharoturbo, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For your thumper. Has anyone tried them? The few reports on the interwebs are good, but I am still dubious. Prices are great, and I can get Kawasaki green for my KLX650 :D.

TIA

Bernie
  2. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I'd wondered about Volar myself. The prices seem too good to be true, and I'm looking for "the catch."
  3. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    That makes two of us.
  4. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I did google for some reviews, didn't catch too many. Got a couple off of some sportbike forums that were not too glowing. As I'm about to replace the chain on my 1098 I think I'll forgo the question of quality this time and go with a nice D.I.D. or the like.

However, still interested in hearing about anyone's Volar experiences.
  5. Lesharoturbo

Oddometer:
    I have read some of the same reviews. The tensile strength should be good, but I was hoping for some actual experience here.

One bad thing I saw aboput Volar was one mention of the master link being weak, but that was a person who had heard of a person having the issue.

Just enough information to muddy the water.

I may bite the bullet and be the ADV guinea pig.

As a side note, I have also seen some bad reviews on DID and EK recently....Must be people who did not install properly?
  6. AspentureRider

AspentureRider Rube

Oddometer:
    I've seen these chains mentioned, but nobody seems to have tried them. I'm thinking that if they were poor quality, people wouldn't be shy about reporting it....
    So, yeah- who has any experience with them?
  7. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I am going to try one on my 92 GS500.I just need to dig and make sure they come with a crimp style master link.I am running a high quality DID o ring chain on my daily rider with a clip style master.Not so sure I trust the cheaper chains with a clip style master.

EDIT:Some people install the master link or clip wrong.When it fails,they blame the chain or manufacturer.This is absurdly WRONG.
  8. VI-RIDER

VI-RIDER n00b

Oddometer:
    I've this Volar ORING chain on my KLR650 for half year now, and have put roughly over 9,000 miles on it. I have only adjusted it once. Very nice chain and the price is right. Also, they come with rivet master link, it is a big plus for me(I personally don't don't like clip master link, safety issue)
  9. AspentureRider

AspentureRider Rube

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Vi-rider!
  10. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting up this info.I feel better about these chains already.What lube do you use on your chain?
  11. VI-RIDER

VI-RIDER n00b

Oddometer:
    I am using Bel-Ray :D .
  12. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.I use Repsol.
  13. Lesharoturbo

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all of the replies. I did see that it came with a rivet style master, now I will need a crimper to install the chain.

I think I will give one a try as my KLX650 is close to the same output power as a KLR650 (just a few horses more).
  14. VI-RIDER

VI-RIDER n00b

Oddometer:
    you welcome bros
  15. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    This has piqued my interest. So are the links powder coated? Would this be a rust preventative? Yeah, I know- chains are meant to be lubed...

My typical riding includes mud, water, etc. and I don't always lube the chain before an offroad ride for fear of attracting dirt. Later, cleaning generally includes some surface rust that I remove with a drill-mounted wire wheel.
  16. Airvent

Airvent Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got my Gold Volar Chain from D2moto with a 40% off promo. It was like $28 shipped, I had to try it out. :lol3 It was done after 6k miles. It developed a nasty tightspot. Kept it clean and well lubed all the time.

I ride in varied conditions including sandpits, mudbogs and interstate highways at 70mph.

For the value, I haven't found anything better than RM ATV's Primary Drive O-ring chain. I have over 12k miles on it with only a few adjustments done, no tight/loose spots.
  17. AspentureRider

AspentureRider Rube

Oddometer:
    Bump for more opinions...
  18. NaeKid

NaeKid Ancient member, eh?

Oddometer:
    Any new updates? My stock chain is just about done (almost 25,000km on it so far), but, it has been riding 90% street and 10% trail. It only ever got cleaned / lubbed after rain (clean with WD40, lube with some motorcycle chain-lube that my local dealer recommended).

I was looking at the D2Moto chains by Volar as well, great price from California, but, for only $15 more I can get an EK chain from A Vicious Cycle here in Canada ...

I will be ordering the chain tomorrow, so, if anyone can point me in the best direction before then, it would be great!
  19. Airvent

Airvent Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive been driving cross country with the rocky mountain primary drive O-ring chains. Got 15000 miles out of the first set, didn't need replacement but replaced it anyway before another 5000 mile trip. Right now my 2nd set has 6k and has only been adjusted once. I haven't found a better value chain. The volar chains are junk in comparison.
  20. SBG

SBG Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer:
    I was going to buy one, but I read a review somewhere and it showed pics of the chain, not sure if it was the master link, but the link snapped instead of bending. Now, I don't know why anyone would test a link to see if it snapped instead of bending, because I don't know how much side loading a link gets, but I ended up getting an RK. Just piece of mind.