Will a Givi AF330 fit a GSA?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by drzep, Nov 17, 2012.

1. drzep

drzep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As the title states...I may have missed this topic in searching cause I'm sure it has been discussed.

The support arms that come with the Givi AF330 look as if they would fit and the OEM GSA screen will fit a GS, so has anyone fit the AF to a GSA? FWIW I have a 2008 GSA.

Thanks, joe
  2. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of course it will. They're esentially the same bike except for bolt on bits. Your GSA screen and brackets come off and the AF330 goes on, in half an hour. Can (should) be used with the GSA winglets
  3. drzep

drzep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can't hurt to ask. Thanks for confirming.
  4. Wdwrkr

Wdwrkr Long timer

Oddometer:
    You will have to remove the GSA windshield support bracket, which was a deal breaker for me. I like the location for my gps so for me the search continues. By the way I called givi about this and they told me it would not fit. I tend to agree it will as the two bikes share the same headlight assembly.
  5. Kiwirich

Kiwirich Super Moderator Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    It does fit both & Touratech make a High GPS mount bracket that takes care of that problem too.
  6. Wdwrkr

Wdwrkr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would love to see a pic of this final set up. I had an af330 on my 06 and loved it.
  7. drzep

drzep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So does anyone here actually have a GSA with a AF330 installed?

Not bitting the bullet until I see that it has been done (aside from the armchair thought experiment)...
  8. bobbybob

bobbybob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I can confirm it definitely fits the 2012 GS, as I watched a Givi rep. install one on my buddy's R12GS at the Givi USA warehouse in Charlotte last week! (I also have one on my 2010 GS)
  9. drzep

drzep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So despite the popularity of the Givi AF and the notion that it should fit a GSA, its still remains an untested theory? That seems hard to believe...

Bueller? :1drink
  10. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rather than "untested theory", I prefer to think of it as the obvious conclusion. There is ONE R1200GS model, with a few different bolt on accessories. You can take ANY PART from one and bolt it directly to the other, but you might need to switch other parts to complete a process....like the GSA side stand and centerstand along with the longer GSA springs....or the GSA windshield bracket along with the GSA windshiled onto a std GS (or remove the bracket to go the other way).
    To put a GIVI AF330 on a GSA you simply remove the windshield AND the GSA specific support bracket, then install per instructions for a standard GS. Anybody who can operate a screwdriver can do it.
  11. drzep

drzep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm not very bright so it takes me time to process things but THANK YOU for the clarification. Now if I could only figure out how to use this damn screwdriver...
  12. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep the pointy end pointed away from your body and you'll do fine. At least that's what's worked for me, so far.
  13. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    I have an 07 gsa with this screen. Put it on earlier this year. Should have done it years ago. One of the better mods I've done on a bike.

It calls for the removal of the gsa screen crossbar, which I did. Though I think that I could have kept it with a couple of holes drilled into the screen, if I had wanted to keep it.

PM me if you want to know more.
  14. drzep

drzep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. With my last 3 bikes its been the same wind screen story - at least 3 before I find the one that suits me and my girlfriend. On the RT a Cee Baily's +1 H / +2 W was money.

I put an AF330 on this weekend. For me its a good screen - the adjustability was great for off road and the height is adequate to get good protection on the highway. The one thing that I found strange, and it may be due to the velocity of air flowing under the moving portion of the screen (and the fact that when fully up its nearly vertical and plowing through the air) is that above 75 mph I start to get buffeting no matter how I adjust it. I can drop it all the way down and get clean air to fix the problem, but when its 35F and raining, the clean air can be a bummer.

The second observation came from the pillion. We could not find a setting that gave her clean air without some buffeting. Tilting back towards me made it much worse and again, dropping it was the best in terms of noise/buffeting. I'd say that its as good as the Aeroflow (sport fairing, tall size) for me, not as good for the pillion.

So far she has preferred the Wunderlich Ergo with a Wunderlich clip-on wind deflector...

I'm going to keep playing with the adjustments and see if we can find a good all-around compromise. Thanks again for the input folks.
  15. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Weird. I have none of those problems. I'm 6'4", btw.
  16. rgb2cmyk

rgb2cmyk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pictures of it installed on a GSA?
  17. Drif10

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. rgb2cmyk

rgb2cmyk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the photos. It doesn't look too bad. And really as long as it quiets things down a bit, that's really what I want (I'm 6'2). I'll just need to find a new spot for the gps.

How is it to look through while riding?
  19. Drif10

Oddometer:
    I don't look through it. Too damn dirty anyways. I have clear sight over it, and a calm pocket of air where my head is.

I made a bar that bolts to the subframe forward of the gauges, and mounted the gps to that. Puts it higher, up into my sightline. Did that long before this shield install.