Kriega USA Luggage Q&A

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by amanlikemike, Apr 2, 2012.

1. C/W

C/W Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks good! For a minor aesthetic you could put the loops on the underside of the rack (leave the button head bits on top).

2. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. 4TooMany

4TooMany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would like to do that, but it's not as easy as it sounds. The holes I'm using are actually threaded, so I'd have to run the bolts up from the bottom. Two problems with that. First, the bolts would stick out, though I could probably find shorter ones. Second, and more importantly, the threaded ferrules that are welded to the rack extend beyond the bottom surface of the rack. So there's no surface to "clamp" the webbing. I could maybe use two washers to clamp the webbing.

Droptarotter, I like that idea, and they're beautiful, but they're pricey. And again because the holes I'm using are already threaded, I'm not sure they'd work. I could potentially use some of the other holes that aren't threaded. Hmmm.
  4. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Hey Mike, you know what I like, or think would be cool?

I have been using the heck out of the little rectangular stuff bags, the Kubes It doubles as either the tire kit, or toilet kit, depending on the trip :D

But importantly, I think it definitely keeps things from going loose in the backpacks. If I had three of them, there wouldnt be any loose stuff. The backpack becomes a stuffsack for smaller, nested ones. And each pack could be used independtly, without going spelunking in the pack just to find one thing.
    I could either pull out the toilet kit OR the tire change kit, OR the maps, compass, keys and phone.

Just a word out to you guys looking to get a backpack. get two or three of the Kubes. It just helps my organisation a lot, because I tend to get a little spread out
    :D
  5. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    It's funny you mention that... I just ordered a Kube 1 to check out for just that reason.
    [​IMG]
  6. 4TooMany

4TooMany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, worked it out. Looks much better.

[​IMG]
  7. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Will the US-5 work as a tank bag on something like a wr250r? Just wondering if that tank strap setup is workable on something with such a small tank.
  8. amanlikemike

amanlikemike Recovering Speedfreak

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Just wanted to say how much I appreciate you chaps trusting our gear to enhance your ride through 2012. Your support is greatly appreciated and I would like to wish you many amazing miles of ADVRiding to come in 2013. :freaky

Answers to the questions above to follow in a few!
  9. staikosn1

staikosn1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please let me know how much is tank adaptor + 10lt US + stash + loop racks + shipping to Greece..

Thank you!
  10. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finally got around to installing my Overlander 30 system on my 640 KTM.
    I'm really happy with how the install went. It was a lot of trial and error, but it was also easy to redo my early attempts.
    The ProMoto Billet rack worked fine with this system. I just had to enlarge 2 holes that were already in the rack to mount the rack loops and use 2 button head allen bolts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are some homemade loops for my US 10/20 Drypacks;

[​IMG]

Cheers
  11. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
  12. lhanson

lhanson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I have finally narrowed my search down for luggage on my 2008 Ktm 690 smc. Im looking at the Kriega us-20 to hold my 15in macbook pro, textbook, binder misc clothes ect for commute to school and work. What is the best way to mount it to tail of a 2008 ktm 690 smc? There will be about 15 pounds +/- in bag. Cheers!
  13. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    Ditch the hook straps and use regular straps directly under the seat. That's how I've been doing it for years. Works nicely and doesn't touch the body work.
  14. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    They were never designed for it, although it can work it doesn't quite sit "nicely".

I have two US-30's and mounting them together is awkward. Unless I use one set of extra long straps through the D rings of the bottom one and the tops ones and then clicked into just the top bag.

Mike, if I can suggest something. Add a set of rectangular D rings like you have all over the bag to the loops that hold the female buckles on the top of the bags. This alone will allow you to mount two identically sized bags to one another.

I found these and will probably get them.

[​IMG]
  15. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Good final afternoon of 2012, Inmates!

Apologies for dropping off the radar for a few days. The whole run-up to year-end, Christmas prepping, visits to friends and family thing was pretty full-on, as I'm sure you are more than away. Purchasing and farkling the heck out a new ride took up a fair bit of time too... But more on this later. For now, I'll just say that it's a big orange one :evil.

Hoookaaay... So, in the next few posts, I'll answer your outstanding questions.

Thanks again for your support and please allow me to wish you and yours all the best for the New Year ahead.

All the best,

Michael
  16. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Hi 4TooMany,

Looks like, in my absence, you - with the always excellent input of fellow Inmates - have found a great alternative rack mount arrangement. I especially like the color coded webbing. Nice job! :clap

I hear what you're saying about the standard web loops on certain racks, but there are a few workarounds, which eliminate the vast majority of 'flapping', not to mention some alternative Loop Straps for 'tying' packs onto racks (that said, I still personally prefer the standard Alloy Hook Strap system) . I doubt you need the info anymore, but - as always - please always feel free to PM me a contact number if you experience any head-scratching moments during installation.

Enjoy your rides with Kriega!

Michael
  17. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Agreed, Jason. And funny you should mention that: to take it a step further, just a few days ago Dom (one of the two Kriega owner / designers) asked for my input on potential new product development and I suggested a couple of different sized Kubes or stuff sacks, with either color coded sections, or a 'window' to insert labels, so it's easy to remember what's in what.

Ran a couple of other decent (well, I think so, at least:rofl) ideas related to this past Dom too. Naturally, y'all will be the first to know if any of them make it into production.

Cheers!

Michael
  18. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Hey swimmer,

Yup. It will work. However, with compact bikes with pronounced filler caps or breather pipes, tank bags are always going to be a bit of a compromise. The US Tank base plate can be fitted over the filler cap without any issues (the rear straps have quick-release fasteners, so the whole thing can easily be flipped out of the way when gassing up). However, there is still the potential for it to encroach into seat space. Whether that is an annoyance depends on your preferred riding position.

Without knowing your precise requirements, in the interim, I'd recommend one of the following options:

• Try the US Tank. If it doesn't work out how you want it to, you can always send it back for an exchange or refund (Inmates are the only ones allowed to destroy the packaging and still return the gear :wink:). Let me know if you want to go down this route so I can include a set of Loop Straps, which replace the standard Velcro straps to enable attachment to the frame on bikes like yours.
    • Grab a set of Rack Loops and tail mount your gear.
    • Have a look at the Overlander 30. Obviously, this requires a bit more investment and panniers aren't for everyone, but it works well on the WR.
    • Bolt a US-5 directly into both of the side panels on your bike...
    • Or consider something along the lines of this alternative double US Tank pannier 'sling' set up:
    [​IMG]

I hope that helps. Let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers,

Michael
  19. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Hey staikosn1,

Shipping to anywhere in Europe will probably be cheaper and faster (plus import duty should be waived in the EU) if you order direct from Kriega in the UK. Product prices and shipping rates can be found at www.kriega.com (click the UK link on the landing page).

That said, if you'd rather get it from the US, shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to get a quote for you.

Thanks and all the best,

Michael
  20. amanlikemike

Oddometer:
    Hello chaps,

Mounting two of the same bag is not problem at all. Simply attach the 'base bag' to the bike, using the included Alloy Hook Straps. Then stack the second bag and thread the Alloy Hooks on the upper bag into the web loops on the base of the base bag and cinch down. Simple and rock solid. Although obviously 2 x 30-liter packs stacked creates something of a skyscraper. 2 x US-20 is more advisable.

The above relates to the current edition of our US Packs, which utilize Alloy Hook Straps. Let me know if you have the previous versions (which all have rectangular plastic rings on the top for precisely that purpose), so I can explain how to do it with them.

Hope that helps!

Michael