KTM Value

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Academy, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Katoom72

Katoom72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    YEah they got better but still, they lack in that part on the 450s. But even a Showa is prone to a revalve anyway. (for me atleast)

Compared to the Triumph i feel they actually are badass. If u ever get the chance to check on a stock 800xc keep an eye on those points. They could have done a bit better there. (not saying KTM couldnt have done any better either)

Oh, but i would not fear u would think any different then that. :wink:
  2. Academy

Academy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would somebody please add the link ( I am sure there must be one) w the details on the side stand bracket issue
  3. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    The stock side stand bolts to the engine that's bad mmkay

so either get this
    http://www.dualsportwarehouse.com/CJ-DESIGNS-KTM-KICKSTAND-RELOCATION-BRACKET-CJD-KRK.htm

or this
    http://blackdogcw.com/black-dog-sho...nd-relocation-kit-for-ktm-950-990-detail.html

read this for the argument over which is better.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644505
  4. Ramv

Ramv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another example. My KTM was half the price of my Ducati despite only 5 k miles. The KTM has . Better brakes, better power, better suspension, same tach ( both don't hav a functional one). Better throttle response, better tires better wheels better accessories. I know the triumph is supposed to be better then the Duc but I suspect it isn't close to the KTM.

And for the reliability crowd, the KTM has been much better than my KLR and XRs . Only the Superhawk made it this man miles (albeit with more maintenance ) without repairs.

I have spent about 1k on the KTM for brackets, skid plates, aux fuel tank and a luggage rack but still the best value in bikes I hav had.
  5. rossguzzi

rossguzzi Started on Montesa.

Oddometer:
    One thing that stuck out as a bad idea on the Trumpy 800 is the rear foot rests bracket is welded to the frame. If it decks the ground hard I can see a written off frame. More serious off road bikes have bolt on brackets. With luck the bracket would break in a fall.
  6. Cyath

Cyath Impetulant Ignoramus Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a BMW R1200GS for 3 years. Spent lots of $$ trying to make it the dual-sport I thought it should be. As it is, I took it places it really wasn't intended to go. I ride every day, rain or shine, and after a while, it just got boring.
    Test rode the 990 and it was immediately apparent that this was built by folks who just have a different mindset about how an adventure bike should ride. It comes stock with all the right stuff. I added crash bars and luggage racks, that's all it needed. One thing's for damn sure, it's never a boring ride.
  7. Wantajustride

Wantajustride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well said Cyath,

All manufacturers and models have a different idea on "What" makes their bike better than the competition. IMO,, BMW started the so called "Adventure" market.

But how many of us rode or borrowed a friends old briggs and stratton 5 hp mini bike out in a vacant lot somewhere near our house? At the time, that was "Adventure" riding to us and we loved it. For some of us, it was a very long time ago, long before any bike manufacturer even conceived the title of "ADV Bike". Now they all have one.

So the burden lye with the end user,,, Which model/make to ride home on. However, some machines will put a much larger smile on your face than others. Take it from a guy who used to ride a 650 V-Strom.

You just can't make comparisons between certain bikes. The only thing they have in common is the fact that they both have only 2 wheels.

WJR
  8. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Before buttering up to the KTM Adventure, you have to hand it to Triumph for stepping to the plate. They really did a fantastic job putting together a product that adds a price point alternative to the midsized adventure touring market. For the rider seeking a bike that can commute between pavement and the occassional fireroad, has a smooth motor for longer distances... and an overall acceptible package of chassis. And at a fair price. This is certainly an alternative choice out there... especially if you live and ride near their dealer network.

But make no mistake, this is in a different class then the KTM Adventure. The reason the Adventure is priced higher is it has a more sophisticated builder/ rider envolvement with greater performance and durability expectations.

The KTM Adventure involved sophisticated and skilled rider input during it's development and was tested in the Dakar Rally where it placed first. All of this input was used to help develop the first generation 950 which was very close to the release of the production line models. And since it's first release in 2003, KTM has continued with the same basic design adding constant refinements to make it as reliable and smooth as possible to date.

In fact, the ride of the earlier models is very similar to the newest versions, just requiring more feedback. The newest models show refinement in every area of the bike... from smoother braking, to smoother engine refinement, smoother fuel response, better tuned suspensions, better dash arrangement. All subtle improvements to what was already a fantastic bike build on it's original release.

This design success of the KTM Adventure has to be credited to a company's intent to collaborate with very talented and committed riders, along with talented manufacturing engineers and designers... all coming together to combine the proper blend of form meeting function. And directing their attention of developing a bike to handle a certain type of difficult terrain.

Now, granted not everyone is going to push a KTM Adventure to the peak of it's design characteristics. And I'm sure very few have. But when you have the pleasure of riding one, and an even greater luxury of owning one... you will feel that design pedigree and potential of the bike every single time you get on the seat, period! KTM added the additional value of their design expenses into the price tag of the KTM Adventure which makes it slightly higher then the Triumph.

However most KTM Adventure owners, myself included, would consider the value expense added to the KTM Adventure to be "priceless".

And like all mass production manufacturers, the bean counters at KTM also played their part in the final production, in trying to keep the overall "sticker price" manageable in the world market.

The stock skidplate and handguards are budget items, clearly meant to keep the overhead down. You can certainly get away with these in the short term, as I did for the first few seasons before upgrading. And the bike continues to beckon more upgrades to refine it's niche... An auxillary rear fuel tank to extend it's desertion range into the 200 mile distance. Performance opportunities abound with exhaust choices and smog removals, all simple yet effective options for performance boosting, refining speed, sound and feel of the motor.

[​IMG]

And choosing luggage is one of the alluring evolutions of the bike at the point where the rider learns to expand the long range touring and traveling capabilities of the bike. At this point you are experiencing the truly unleashed pleasures of owning this bike... getting it out on long distance rides where you can open the bike up and enjoy it's fine tuning for lengthy rides in out of the way places. Dirt roads, jeep trails, wagon roads, forest service trails, gravel routes. This bike is perfect for the long, off the beaten path journey.

And when you're 200 miles from no-where, the additional price paid for "VALUE" is insignificant compared to the enjoyment and security of ownership.

This is just my humble and obviously biased opinion, of course.
  9. rossguzzi

rossguzzi Started on Montesa.

Oddometer:
    I was just about to say that !

Seriously, that sums it up soooo well.
  10. ColoradoBigfoot

ColoradoBigfoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last April I was facing the same choice....what adventure bike to buy. Been a loyal Honda guy for most all of my motorcycle purchaces, but Honda does not offer anything stateside in this category so I entered the search w/o brand loyalty.
    First rode the Yamaha. Felt good. Thought that was the one.
    Next rode the KTM 990 (regular). Liked it better than the Yamaha because it felt like I was sitting aboard my 450X but better suited for the road.
    Lastly, I rode the 800XC. Although very fast (in upper revs) and cool looking, it did nothing for me and I turned around after only 10 minutes knowing this bike wasn't what I was looking for after riding the KTM. Primarily, no tourqe and limited wind protection sealed it's fate compared to the KTM.
    The KTM felt like a big-boys toy compared to the buzzy Triumph.
  11. Supahflid

Supahflid Wheelieless Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I won't be able to tell you anything much different about the KTM than the other posters; it's a great bike that, in my opinion, is the best value of anything close to it.

Also, I have had experience with Triumph products. The Tiger 1050 just was not comfortable to me and after having ridden the 800 before making the decision on my 990, the seating position seemed similar. So, not choosing the Triumph was easy for me just for that reason alone. I won't bore you with the litany of other aspects of the KTM that far outweigh the Triumph products. Good luck! I'm sure you will enjoy whichever bike you choose!
  12. Academy

Academy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I admit I was doing some fence sitting, but after reading about all the enthusiasm surrounding these bikes I have "missile lock" on a 990 R. Thanks to everyone for there input this is a great community.