Viewing GPX files

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by PhilSpace, Dec 9, 2005.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    #1 depends on if your unit handles tracks.
    if it does then upload it to unit and it displays all the time like POI.
    you just follow it on the map.

if it does not you must covert it to a route.
  2. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:

Ok I should have said "the arrow moves on the line about the same speed as I am riding" when zoomed in. When I get to a turn the indicator arrow comes to the turn at the same time as I arrive to the turn. Pretty hard to miss a turn !
  3. opjocephus

opjocephus Dick Tree

Oddometer:
    To make sure it is loaded, hit the page button until the Tracks folder comes up. Enter. Arrow down to one of tracks, it will highlight. Enter. Next screen 'show on map' must be checked for it to actually show up on screen. Hope this helps.
  4. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:
    ^^^ got it, thanks............
  5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    You do know that the "arrow on the screen" is you (position of GPS).

If it (you) did not move at the same speed you are riding, you have exceeded the speed of light or some other theroy of relativity.
  6. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:

True :lol3

Zoomed way out on the screen the turns are not visible enough to see as you "ride along" the route. Much easier to follow along if zoomed in to where turns appear at the same time you are at the turn.
  7. Seth650

Seth650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
  9. divimon2000

divimon2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my 350, the track line shows up on the map only if you "turn the track on" under apps. You can turn on as many tracks as you want. My line does not move and there is no arrow. Fwiw.
  10. MikeL59

MikeL59 n00b

Oddometer:
    Just purchased my first GPS, a Garmin 62s and I have a lot to learn. I have Basecamp and topo maps installed on my computer. I tried to copy a gpx file from this site and my computer wants to save it as a php file. Why? Not sure what to do next? I did some searching but no luck.
    thanks
    Mike
  11. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty normal, no idea why it does that though.

Let it save as .php then right click on the saved file, select "rename" and change the php to gpx.
  12. SCPancho

SCPancho Old farts riding club.

Oddometer:
    I've tried the gpx viewer and like it. Put some gpx files in dropbox. Opened dropbox in ipad mini and saw the files. Used open with to view. Easy. Need to try on road next.
  13. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to take a GPX file and split multiple tracks out of it by date or track name?
  14. 5 Hour Butt

5 Hour Butt Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I always use Garmin Basecamp because you can select the GPX file and right click it to get the options of what to do! I have taken many GPX files and converted them to routes that way. I hope that helps!
  15. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    You can open the GPX file in BaseCamp and copy whatever tracks you want to another LIST.

Or, you could just open a new TRIP in FURKOT and then using the FIND > My other Trips/Tracks > File on my computer, select the GPX file with the Tracks in it and once they are showing on the Map, just select the Tracks you want into the new TRIP.
  16. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    I was looking to split type/days/years into separate tracks, but Furkot wont be the best as there are thousands of waypoints, and there is no way I am going through selecting them one at a time. Basecamp seemed to work, I will have to dig further and see.

2012: Saturday Gravel, Saturday Pavement, Sunday Gravel, Sunday Pavement
    2013: Saturday Gravel, Saturday Pavement, Sunday Gravel, Sunday Pavement
    2014: Saturday Gravel, Saturday Pavement, Sunday Gravel, Sunday Pavement

Each day and type have over 1000 waypoints, so you can see why I wanted something that could split them up. The file itself is a mess with everything all in one messy track.
  17. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    BaseCamp is a much better choice for editing a file like that.

Although, I must say, that is a huge number of Waypoints for a two-day ride when you are using Tracks to navigate. They must be very long days.

Furkot doesn't have a batch import mode for "Skipped" Waypoints. I have requested such a feature though - as well as "Skipped Tracks". :evil

The more people that ask for them the more likely we are to get them. :deal
  18. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:

Here is what I finally got it to do. I have also reached out to Natalia as well about tweaking the import as well as selecting multiple waypoints.

This is the map with EVERYTHING: https://trips.furkot.com/ts/bA3Bxl
    This is the map with Saturday Pavement: https://trips.furkot.com/ts/7wYVqA
    This is the map with Sunday Pavement: https://trips.furkot.com/ts/bvk7cn
    This is the map with Saturday Gravel: https://trips.furkot.com/ts/ZSMRjz
    This is the map with Sunday Gravel: https://trips.furkot.com/ts/fbrQgf
    This is the map with only Gravel: https://trips.furkot.com/ts/Wk3K4P
    This is the map with only Pavement: https://trips.furkot.com/ts/UDuiVn
  19. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    As I noted with the Trip Import feature, when you have a file like this you have to remember that Furkot is going to try and stitch all of your Tracks and Waypoints together into a single route. It will be (was?) a mess no doubt.

I don't think there is anything that the Furkot Team can do to a file like that since they can't read our minds. This is why I made the "Build a Trip from Tracks" video as I think it is the most direct way to get a GPX file with combined trips sorted out. As for the batch "skipped waypoints", more folks need to ask for it and it will happen - I'm sure.
  20. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I finally got it to where I needed it, as you can see from the Pavement and Gravel maps (both days combined). My hope was that the import engine would read the dates on the waypoints and put them together.

I use Furkot a lot, and want to make it my only maping and routing app, and it is nearly there. This file was just something I was sent, and it only has a single year of the routes from the trip. I have another that covers 2012 - 2014. I havent even looked at it yet, even in Basecamp.