Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by acejones, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Jammin

Jammin Integrating back into society

Oddometer:
    Rehashing this old thread with good info instead of starting a new one.

I have a similar situation about exiting without canceling and just want to hear your opinions:

I exited Mexico last year at Laredo (entered OJ) without canceling the permit on my DR650. I was turned away at the Mexico customs office saying they didnt know how to cancel the permit. I think they were just being lazy and I didnt want to cause a rukcus demanding it. Bad mistake but am trying to deal with it now. :baldy Local consulate said they can't do anything about it.

That DR650 was recently totaled (water in engine problems) and insurance claimed it. :(:

Also, my Indian passport that I entered Mexico with last year expired, so I got a new one with new passport number.

I'm planning on entering Mexico next year with another new DR (heading all the way south) and do you think showing a new passport should not link me to the old un-exported DR? Being a third-country citizen (not American or Mexican), are my chances better? :scratch

If they do link my name to the older DR on older passport, is trying to enter at another border futile?

I'll have paperwork with me from my insurance to state what happened to the old bike - proving the bike is out of Mexico. Is this rational good enough? They mainly want to see that the bike wasn't sold in Mexico without paying taxes, right?
  2. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, they are mostly concerned about collecting any taxes if you sold the bike in Mexico.
  3. strokerdave

strokerdave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ixtlajuacan de los Membrillos, Jalisco, Mx
    You should be OK with the new passport number. I wouldn't even bring up the previous bike. Everything is computerized now so trying another crossing wouldn't help.
  4. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    The process is especially easy over the internet now. Got my permit with a 3-day Fedex delivery directly from the office in Mexico City. I cancelled the permit on my way out at the checkpoint near Allende.
  5. t dog

t dog n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if there is a vin # cancelation at the columbia crossing near laredo. I hope to pass through there in the next week. Never been through this crossing so not sure of the process. A few years back while crossing in juarez the check point was about 30 minutes before the border at a check point. If you missed it you had to drive back 30 minutes to get it signed off before crossing into the U.S. If there is one for the Columbia crossing could someone identify where it is. Thanks!
  6. AZ SAM

AZ SAM MESA, AZ AND THE WORLD

Oddometer:
    Per my wisdom and experience, it would be better to take the bike back. Mexico claims they will put the price of the bike on your credit card. I have never heard of this happening. Don't know what happens when you don't clear customs coming out and try to go back in with a different vechicle.

We don't need no stinkin' papers :deal

Have a great day.
  7. ontheborder

ontheborder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you haven't checked your bike out properly and go back with a different vehicle, I believe they will not give you a permit without you paying the tax on the original vehicle. They have the NADA or Kelly Blue Book. The tax is steep.

I do not believe that they will hit up your credit card..
  8. C5!

C5! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a follow-up on the post I made on this thread earlier this year. I exited Mexico without checking through a banejercito because there was none at that border point with Guatemala. I was pretty concerned once I was back in Venezuela. I contacted with banejercito by email from here, they remitted me to the Customs office. Exchanged emails, then sent them by mail the documentation with pictures etc demonstrating that the bike had exited Mexico, crossed a number of other countries and was now effectively in Venezuela. and they cancelled my permit and emailed me back that I would be welcome back in Mexico anytime !! I was impressed !
  9. Jammin

Oddometer:
    Good deal. Thanx for letting us know that this can be done through email now. :beer
  10. C5!

C5! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Next time I go to mexico, if I ever have the opportunity, I will do the permit stuff the right way, I would not bet that I could have the same luck. It was like an exception to the procedure, a "force majeure", but it is good that their system accepts that.
  11. hammockman

hammockman Always Lost!

Oddometer:
    I just rode my DR650 back home to Costa Rica and apparently didnĀ“t clear my car that I drove down a few years ago. I really wanted to go through the day I arrived at the border so ended up bribing the officials at the Progresso (Brownsville) $350 US to get the car canceled so I could bring the bike in. It sucked but when your trip clock is ticking...
  12. bmwroadrider

bmwroadrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was reading a post you made on this thread about canceling your Mexico vehicle permit by mail/email. I have am uncancled permit for a 1975 BMW R/75 that I took to mexico 5 years ago. A few months after returning I was in an accident where the bike was totaled. I have the police report and Junk title. Does anybody have advice to get the permit canceled other than returning the bike to the border

Cheers
  13. RockiesTwin

RockiesTwin Dfrag y0ur BrAin

Oddometer:
    Since this is a fairly fresh thread and mentioned a few things of interest how is the crossing at Reynosa? Any suggestions as for where to get my Insurance and permit from Online? How much time do I need? Also, do you have to specify ahead of time where you're crossing?
  14. Jammin

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to post an update to my situation:

Two weeks ago, I successfully entered Mexico at Columbus, NM with my new DR on a new passport number and no questions were asked of the previous bike. That same day, I exited at Jaurez and made sure to cancel my vehicle permit at Banjercito, pay my tourist permit there as well and exit the country clean. So next time I head down, I know I'm all good :brow
  15. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where is the closest Banjercito site that cancels the permit at the Colombia crossing?

Thanks,

Mike

P.S. I just looked it up on the Banjercito website. It's right there at the bridge.
  16. Bajarider2000

Bajarider2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice!
  17. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jay - curious - appears your intent was "test" to see if you had "clean" credentials to get another TVIP, so on a future trip you wouldn't have to worry about doing all the planning and getting turned away at the border. You could have just applied online for the TVIP to accomplish the same goal... :ear
  18. Jammin

Oddometer:
    I know, was given the same advice from another adver, but since I was going to be at the border anyways, I wanted to be 100% sure that there would be no problems. :brow
  19. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought of a few great comebacks to that line, but I'll defer to another time....:nod
  20. Capt Crunch

Capt Crunch n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking for advice,
    My friend and I have our motos stored at a friends house in PV Mexico. They have been there 1 year. We plan on flying to PV next week and riding them to Belize.
    Problem is, the temporary import permit is only good for 6 months. Not sure what kind of problems this is going to cause. According to the Consulate the bikes will be confiscated if we get pulled over and they may confiscate them at the Belize border. They told me that I could get a "Safe Return Permit" that was good for 5 days to get the bike back across the US border and I was not allowed to take it across the Belize border.