W.A.R.D.S. of the State NC

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by SkylineKeith, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Icecold Dan

Icecold Dan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sandblast is less then 2 weeks away. Anyone in the area going? I'm leaving Friday Feb 28th around 4pm if anyone wants to meet up and ride down together.
  2. mothra

mothra Rally Driver

Oddometer:
    I will be there. Going down Thursday day after work.

We still need a few volunteers.
  3. 35xj

35xj Long timer

Oddometer:
    hey guys! my wife and I will be passing through you're area on march12-14 give or take. getting off the ocracoke ferry on Wednesday and following the coast south.
    thinking about camping in cedar point SP wed night, then moving down towards Carolina beach SP Thursday.

any ideas, thoughts? things we cant miss/gotta miss?

Icecold Dan are you the guy with the beer and the URAL from the nottarallylast year?
  4. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    That dude with the Ural is nowhere near as ugly as Dan. ;)

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
  5. Icecold Dan

Oddometer:
    lol! You don't miss a beat Jeff!

Hey wait a minute, I think that was a jab at me....
  6. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    Really I'm just suffering from beard envy.

7. Icecold Dan

Oddometer:
    35xj, I was there and hanging out with the Ural dude, but wasn't me. Not knowing what you're into, its hard to say what you might like seeing. If you guys like history there is plenty to see and do. If you like decent beer you might enjoy Front St Brewery in downtown Wilmington. You can ride the ferry from Fort Fisher to Southport, that's always fun a makes for some nice photo ops.

If you need a place to stay I can probably help you out. Let me know.
  8. 35xj

35xj Long timer

Oddometer:
    we are pretty much looking to relax! Maybe drink some microbrew beer, ride around a little, maybe a little hike
    Im on my 950ADV, kat will be on her Husky 630 motard, so some back road exploring, maybe a little gravel.
  9. Icecold Dan

Oddometer:
    If you are staying in Carolina Beach, you should check out a bar called "Fat Pelican". Very unique atmosphere and probably the best microbrew selection on the island. In downtown Wilmington there is a beer bar called "Cape Fear Wine & Beer" that has the best micro selection in this part of the state.

Last I checked, Holly Shelter game lands still have the gates open. This would be a good option for a little off pavement action. Some areas in there can be either very wet, or very sandy depending on the weather, but the main drags in there should be passible even on road tires. Not for from Holly Shelter is a Road called "Old Maple Hill" and it's about the best thing in the area will will find as far as twisties go. Being from Ashville though, you will likely find it very tame. Mostly though, the roads in this area and strait with little to no elivation change. Not a riding paradise to be sure.

There is some decent hiking in Carolina Beach State Park. If you take the ferry over to Southport from Ft Fisher then take 133 north, you will find Brunswick Nature Park. There is some really nice multi-use trails in ther for hiking and cycling as well. There are a few dirt roads in there as well, but they don't go very far.
  10. mothra

mothra Rally Driver

Oddometer:
    If you make over to Southport (its a nice ferry trip from Ft Fisher/Carolina Beach). LocoJoes is worth checking out. Great food and the best microbrew selection in Brunswick County.
  11. waldrtw

waldrtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe I can take the bike out that weekend and ride with you guys around Wilmington. I need to get some riding in before my tour with MotoQuest at the end of March in Vegas!

Tim
  12. Icecold Dan

Oddometer:
    Hey Tim, I'm away this coming weekend for Sandblast, and in Texas to ride hill country at the end of March, but maybe we can ride together in the couple weekends between then.
  13. 35xj

35xj Long timer

Oddometer:
    how about anything worth se3eing between Carolina beach and Raleigh?

maybe we will go down to folly beach for a day
  14. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    You could detour through Kinston for a stop at Mother Earth Brewery.

Why am I always thinking of beer? :confused:

15. 35xj

35xj Long timer

Oddometer:
    i also like beer!
  16. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Not a damn thing! Most boring 2hr ride you can concieve.
  17. mothra

mothra Rally Driver

Oddometer:
    Let's see if there is any life in here. I still have 1-2 months before I can ride again which gives me plenty of time to shop for a new bike.

I am looking at a 2003 KTM 525exc that is for sale by the original owner who has all the paperwork. Any reason that I couldn't tag and title this bike in NC. The current/original owner never bothered to tag it but my understanding is that these were street legal from KTM in the US.
  18. wparkinson

wparkinson Gear Whore

Oddometer:
    You want a 525...? Hell you could hardly ride that damn BMW 650....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  19. bobbed06

bobbed06 Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer:
    If you can figure out how to navigate the incompetent DMV that told me they would take all my tax and plate fees without a guarantee of obtaining a plate than good luck....

The KTM EXC lineup was only street legal from 2007 to current, the rest are just dirt bikes. Your money is better spent buying a bike that is already street legal from the factory....Just my opinion
  20. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:

If he has a title it will be easy, make sure it has lights, horn and a mirror and get it inspected. If he doesn't have a title don't bother as it will be more trouble than it is worth and very unlikely you will ever get a title issued by NC. With a title you can plate just about anything, without one you will need lawyers guns and money.