Msf brc rcp omg wtf lol

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by vaara, Jul 12, 2014.

1. vaara

vaara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Apparently the range exercises have been changed up a bit too, as has the evaluation. So I suppose that means new range cards, re-painting ranges, etc. I'm sure more will be revealed in due course.
  2. SxyRdr

SxyRdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have seen the new range exercises. I think there are some RCs who wouldn't be able to pass the new skills eval. And I'm soooo happy they're going to count stalling the motorcycle against you in the new program (I believe I saw that 3 stalls = automatic failure).

I had a student who passed (barely) but she would stall at the start of each eval and at the end of each eval. IMO she had no business being on a motorcycle... but she passed and walked out with her temporary license. Now that's a scary thought.
  3. urbanXJ

urbanXJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I barfed after my MSF class. Made it through in the august heat, then had a flat tire on the truck going home....half way through changing the tire I got cold, shivering cold in 100+ degree heat. That was strange I'm thinking, then I got real sick.

Damn heat stroke.
  4. reddirtjoe

reddirtjoe motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Let's Ride some red dirt!!.... NorthCentOklahoma
    The way I understand it........

To teach the new BRC, RiderCoaches as well as Ranges have to get recertified by MSF.
    RiderCoaches have to go through a 3 day? RCP . (
    Ranges have to be repainted and approved.

However, we will have to use the new booklets when the old one is no longer available.
  5. SxyRdr

SxyRdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here in VA, they're doing 4-hour PDWs to train us on the new handbook/classroom. I haven't heard any talk about the new range so who knows what's going on with that.
  6. ZiaThunder

ZiaThunder Go big or go home

Oddometer:
    We are using the new books and PP slides for the classroom. From what I was told when they trained us on using the new books. They are going to hold a RCP sometime after the start of the year. All the coaches are required to pass the prep to be able to continue as coaches. I've seen the new range exercises, I like them much better. They've cut out a few, extended the time for a few others. Overall, much better. Haven't seen the riding test yet. I was told by our state program manager, that a number of the current coaches likely won't pass the test. :ear Thought that was interesting.

Was told that the new materials/course being rolled out is called the BRC and the current widely used course is now called BRC 2013. It supposed to help keep it all straight.. :huh
  7. vaara

vaara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found this:

http://www.startseeingmotorcycles.org/documents/2013conf/2013_Ochs_u14 Presentation_v2.pdf

According to this, and I have no idea whether it's final or authoritative: the main changes to the riding test are that it now includes a 12' cone weave :eek1 and a turn from stop, and the 135° curve is now 180°. And, as indicated above, there are points deducted for stalling.

In general, it looks like the classroom and eval are more complex than before, while the range is less so.
  8. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    That 180* curve may be difficult on the new HD Streets....I still scrape the crap out of those stupid crash bars every other time I do the demo for 13:lol3. I was just about to use the new curriculum this weekend but found out all of our August classes are cancelled. Dealership was sold and it takes about a month to be issued a new RERP#.
  9. SxyRdr

SxyRdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That document matches with what I had heard about the new eval.

No more than 10 points in Part A. No more than 3 engine stalls in Part A. Must be successful in Part A in order to move on to Part B.

Also, the quick stop approach lane is set to 45', forcing the student to accelerate a little more aggressively to get up to speed.

The curve timing is in the straight. Student must get up to 20 mph in the straight but can take the curve at whatever speed they want.

But yeah, no more than 15 points total to pass.

Any of y'all incorporating the eCourse yet?
  10. vaara

vaara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So the gist of it is that the eval will become quite a bit more difficult. Not a bad thing IMHO, but it could mean more pressure on students to really develop their skills within a shorter timeframe -- and more drama, given the seemingly inevitable higher failure rates.
  11. SxyRdr

SxyRdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's gonna be interesting. Even more interesting is seeing how many current RCs won't be able to pass the skills eval. I work with one RC who can't ride worth a crap. I've seen him nearly crash in demos... one of them was while demoing riding around the perimeter of Ex 5 :eek1 ... what I affectionately call our "NASCAR practice." :lol3
  12. 4TooMany

4TooMany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh come now, it's not that hard. If your average (or even below average) RC couldn't pass, virtually no students could pass.
  13. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Interesting" isn't the word I would use. "Disappointing" or maybe "frightening" seems to fit.

Personally, I'd be embarrassed if I couldn't, with no practice, pass with a perfect score or any combination of points I was told to accumulate, the same skill test I expect students to pass. :dunno

But I know a few here that would probably struggle with it and a couple that might not be able to pass it. Or they might pass, but it wouldn't be pretty. And I mean on a training bike. For our Intermediate (some places, BRC2- basic class for dirt riders that don't need 'here is the clutch" level training), we're expected to ride our own bikes... and I've been told a DRZ400SM is cheating. Usually, I do demos on the FJR1300 or Tiger 800XC, which are easier than the Aprilia.
  14. 4TooMany

4TooMany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Think about what you're saying... if it's really enough harder that some RC's couldn't pass it, what percentage of brand new students could? 3%? That's ridiculous. I took the test last year, and while it was different, I didn't think it was any harder. Certainly not something our RCs couldn't pass.

Do your fellow RCs know you're talking smack about them?
  15. ZiaThunder

ZiaThunder Go big or go home

Oddometer:
    Any rider coach that has spent time on the MSF Retsorg forum knows that nothing but smack is being said about them. I've never seen a group of people who could argue over the dumbest things. They even put JoMamma to shame. :D
  16. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most of them... with coaching and practice.
    I am fairly constantly pleading for them to come to a demo practice or one of the cornering (on a Kart track, with REAL CORNERS) or braking & swerving (on a dragstrip, 70/60mph respectively) clinics put on for Instructors only. The last braking clinic we had room for 36 riders. 7 showed up.

BTW, Instructors, here; Oregon is a non-MSF state, and RiderCoach<sup>SM</sup> is a registered Service Mark of the MSF.
  17. vaara

vaara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interestingly, the CA MSP specifically prohibits the use of the "I" word when referring to RiderCoaches<sup>SM</sup> here.
  18. SxyRdr

SxyRdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh I agree... And, honestly, that's the thought that's keeping me from panicking about having to pass that riding test. :lol3
  19. SxyRdr

SxyRdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  20. reddirtjoe

reddirtjoe motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Let's Ride some red dirt!!.... NorthCentOklahoma
    Do your fellow RCs know you're talking smack about them?[/QUOTE]

Just don' ask about a kickstart bike....:D