VIOLA-TING AMERICA - Chasing the dream of music and motos

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by viola-tor, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Rango

Rango Phaneropter

Oddometer:
    Once in a while we hear of cruise ships put in quarantaine because of the odd virus. Guess we just got a clue of the origin of that: the curse of the restless soldier.:eek1

Serious post, good reading. Love the tune. :wink:
  2. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not only do you have some work to catch up on your existing stories, it is just about time to start creating some new stories. I know someone who can help.:evil
  3. backoutonthehighway

backoutonthehighway ATGMOTT/MOTGATT

Oddometer:
    Love that the reports are coming again! :clap

On the rain gear. Pants: I highly recommend Klim Badlands Pro. Won a pair at the ADV WARPED drawing last year and have put close about 15k miles on them in everything from 110F to 26F, rain and snow. Remarkable! If you wear short under them, they are tolerable at 100F due to the great venting front to back and with "long-handles" on, they are plenty warm enough at 32F. Past that you better have a heated seat. :deal And they have never leaked even after hours of riding in the rain. As soon as my tourmaster jacket gives up the ghost, I will be buying their jacket.

Of course if it's 90 and raining, you are going to be warm, but not having to stop and suit up when the rain starts makes my ride a lot easier. :clap

Cheers!
  4. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    ¡Hola Violator!

¿Violator?

¿Dondé esta usted?

*crickets*
  5. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess you're so busy making your movie that you haven't done much riding and updating here. Too bad about that, but I am PSYCHED about the movie!! :clap
  6. viola-tor

viola-tor Needs to ride!

Oddometer:
  7. NKOrange

NKOrange Puny homer

Oddometer:
    Hey Viola-tor,
    I just discovered this thread (kinda new to ADV), but I remember meeting you years ago at the White Rim. I was on a mountain bike taking a break and we had a chat. I remember the viola case you were carrying. "What a funny thing to carry on your back on the White Rim" I thought, until I learned to play music and then try to take my guitar everywhere.

Anyhow, good to "run into you" here. I hope you are doing well. If you happen to be in Colorado drop me a PM. Would be fun to meet again.

8. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    In.
    :thumb
  9. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    So next time, we get to experience something like this.

http://tinyurl.com/mr95a9e

Should you find yourself up in Montana later this summer, let's ride.
  10. Plattypus

Plattypus ADV wannabe

Oddometer:
    Just finished reading from beginning to end....

Diek, I am in awe! As it happens, I am just embarking on the road to being a professional classical musician (I'm aspiring to be a conductor), so it has been greatly encouraging to see that even when leading that kind of life, it is still perfectly feasible to pursue time consuming interests such as motorcycle touring!

That said - I'm also a little annoyed, if I'm honest. When I got my first bike in March, I thought "Well, that's that then! I must be the most epic and cool classical musician that this Earth will ever know." Over the last few days of reading, that fantasy has come tumbling down! :D Clearly need more bikes.. :wink:

Anyway, absolutely wonderful photos, great stories and I think it's fantastic that you're introducing so many to what we all hold so dear :) You have a really nice way of delivering it without being condescending or dumbing it down.

oh, and this may interest you - when I got into biking, I did some research to see if any of the 20th century composers were riders themselves..
    I found one - Peter Warlock. I think he got into trouble with the police when he rode around his Gloucestershire village while completely nude :clap
  11. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:
  12. Wildabeast

Wildabeast Wide Open

Oddometer:
    Diek?

Where can I see the Western!

Still livin'? Still ridin? Still play'n'?

Give us a message, man!
  13. viola-tor

viola-tor Needs to ride!

Oddometer:
    The more time passes the harder and harder it becomes to tackle this report! So many things have happened... So much to tell... I haven't forgotten, and I haven't given up, but had to move it to the back-burner for a while. A thread this epic is a responsibility! :evil

You guys make me smile, so I'll throw out a few teasers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Nice to see an update from you. Looking forward to the stories you have to tell when you take this off the back burner.
  15. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
  16. Rango

Rango Phaneropter

Oddometer:
    Good to see you're still playing in the wild.
    :ilmostro
  17. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    This was one of my favorite reports. Some cliff notes of what' been happening would be great. Easy for me to say, as I don't think I've ever "Finished" a ride report.
  18. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    I suck at writing RRs which makes me appreciate yours and other great ones even more. But damn yes u are a tease!! :wink:
  19. Abraxas

Abraxas The last one

Oddometer:
    Hey Diek, I think you, as a classical musician, could find this interesting. Just for fun though

<IFRAME height=360 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OdsrMudbBV0?feature=player_detailpage" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Other way to understand music.

PS: love your report, please keep it coming. Yesterday I was searching for a 990 ADV as a possible substitute for my GS.
  20. mittenduck

mittenduck n00b

Oddometer:
    There is a Stradivari viola coming up for auction at Sotheby's. Here is the link from the NY Times. http://www.nytimes.com/video/theate...-jonatha-brooke.html?playlistId=1194811622313
    There is a video of a guy playing a Bach suite on it. The starting bid is listed as - Sit Down - $45M!!! I guess I have to stop telling viola jokes. Personally, I think it would sound a lot better on top of a mountaqin in Colorado.