Ktm 690 & rally-raid products

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ADAMRRP, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    Thanks blakrj
    The coil does not have to be moved on the 12, only the rectifier to the inside of the frame. The coil & ground are not disrupted.
    (coil on the inside of the frame)
    [​IMG]
    Still worried that the rectifier will get baked... Its close!

Amazingly the side plastic compresses/bends in to fit where the overlap is pictured above. Makes for a swoopy curve.
    I guess it will be ok after all (& picking up some bolts). :wink:
  2. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:
    OK Rally Raid step up.
    How bad are my side panels supposed to fit on my '12?
    I just cannot strretch these side panels enough to fit the rear bolt.
    The 'blades' that slide on the tank bracket are puckering due to the stress of trying to stretch these panels to fit.
    Why did I pay 223 extra dollars for side panels that don't fit properly?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And is the rectifier supposed to sit 10mm from the header & header bolt?

How far out is the main tank bolt supposed to stick out?
    One fall and that bolt is going to gouge through my plastic side panel.

[​IMG]

ANYONE PUT THE 9.5 TWIN AUXILIARY TANKS ON A '12 690 YET?
    FITMENT?

A sloppy kit IMO...:deal
  3. Kirkster

Kirkster Parts Murderer

Oddometer:
    Looks like you are the first... I have had my tank on order for a long time with no delivery from KTMTwins. Just sent them an email today to figure out where mine are...

Hopefully you will have all the bugs worked out so mine will just go right in... :evil
  4. beaney

beaney rally racer

Oddometer:
    I think you've done something wrong, the tanks should fit tight against the frame and the stud should not stick out like that.

slacken all the tank mounts then line up the side panel, you'll never get it lined up with the tanks not sitting on the frame correctly
  5. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:
    beaney my tanks do fit tight against the frame. Solid and tight. The bolts stick out.
    I did complete the install today. Maybe it could of been done different.
    I could not get the tanks to rotate for good side panel fitment.
    The tanks line up on the radiator well on each side.
    Took a heat gun!
    The supplied bolt selection was off and hopefully the updated rectifier mount (outboard) makes it to future customers.

Could of been just me but I sure did a lot of fit/re-fit over two days to get it close.
    Not a smooth $900 kit but it went on.

Thank you ktmmitch for your pm's on advice. :thumb

Bring it on.
    [​IMG]
  6. dunefreak

dunefreak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks good! Glad you got it together despite the fitment issues.

I've been wondering how much that tank kit affects how the bike feels between your knees. Can you feel a huge difference in extra width of the bike between your knees or is it not that bad? I'm thinking since the bike is already extremely lean, the added girth might make the rider position just right.

I'd love to hear your feedback. :D

oh, and didn't the panels come with new graphics or no?
  7. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:
    For those who contemplate the RR air filter setup, think about this.

Massive intake air flow capability! A lot of extra 'honk', very loud actually.
    My bike is mapped, 02 sniffed and runs like a raped aped (don't they all?).
    But... You have a very exposed filter, not buried under a snorkel.
    The filter get wasted after each ride. I bought two filters for swap outs after each ride. Three filters might even be good as there will be a lot of cleaning.
    If you don't care for very frequent cleaning (I am cleaning after every dirt ride), you might want a foam filter under the snorkel...
    An FYI FWIW!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Exposed!
    [​IMG]
  8. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:
    Yes the panels come with new graphics - I'll install graphics after the weekends ride.

As you know the bike is very trim with the underseat tank. These tanks make it feel more 'normal', like a standard tank or a desert tank.
    I do already miss the narrow feel of stock.
    The knees now are splayed out and if you slide way forward its tougher to do. But it is still just fine.
    At roughly 8 lbs per gallon (x2) and the weight of the kit probably only 25 lbs or less is added up front. Weight wise I don't feel a difference.

Today, with my friend in attendance ...I can still pull off a nice third gear power wheelie! :thumb
    I was hoping that would be the case.
  9. Beer'o'clock Baz

Beer'o'clock Baz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a crf 450 x aswell as the {ducks guts bike} and have done all the open airbox mods to that bike - and regret it { water inlet } i have covered them up and have not found any differance in responce but the open box will let so much moisture in so maybe for those that dont race there bikes consider this before open boxes - but you do have to replace paper filter { should be done before pick up }
  10. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to mention that when I asked RR to step up, ktmmitch did.

Yes he gave me good customer service and wants to make sure his product installs smoothly.
    That there is a good reason to use RR.
  11. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:
    The Raid tanks are working well.
    I have been trying different ways of using them.
    I run the main tank to the low fuel light, then I turn on the left tank only.
    It seems to pull fuel back and my low fuel light goes off! Yay
    Same with the right side. Cool stuff.

Proper zip tying of the fuel lines is essential.

You can see the additional width here.
    [​IMG]
  12. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:
    OK I'll continue with my RR fitment gripes.
    As I mentioned earlier the rectifier basically sits on the exhaust header bolt.
    Oh so close, and a good candidate to get fried IMO.
    If you follow the instructions the rectifier will touch the header bolt.
    So I left out that spacer.
    Fine.
    So I am to receive the 'updated' rectifier, which I just have. It is to relocate the rectifier away from the exhaust (tight anywhere regardless).
    Well... the bracketry that the Rally Raid 690 uses does not look like what my bike has. My rectifier wiring will not 'stretch' far enough anyway.
    I would guess it is different due to the evap canister on the US bikes??

The design of the Acerbis tanks are a work of art.
    The garage engineered bracketry not so. Good ideas, chintzy execution, and very little room to move things around anyhow.

My bike...
    [​IMG]

Rally Raids...
    [​IMG]

Equals a no fit on a rectifier bracket.
    What gives RR?

Just remember what you have to pay for this kit...
    Certainly a massage job/jigsaw puzzle install.

:lurk
  13. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    How do these tanks actually connect to the main tank?
  14. Uller

Uller Done with this BS

Oddometer:
    Punted Suspension Posts from KTM 690 Wunderfest and Suspension Thread

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset">Originally Posted by gen [​IMG]
    Rally Raid UK is reporting that Tractive is preparing a new shock for the 690 with travel up to 300mm.

http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/...in-production/

But for someone who's 230# (I am too) you'll need to have a stiffer spring to start.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    We have 3 different types of Tractive shocks available,from full Rallye with 300mm movement,through Adventure then Overland,with Hydraulic Preload Adjuster.
    We will also have new fork cartridges available soon,to give improved performance and 300mm stroke,as an EXC.

The kit will consist of new longer damper rod,aluminium rebound tube,longer springs and new caps.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset">Originally Posted by ktmmitch [​IMG]
    We will also have new fork cartridges available soon,to give improved performance and 300mm stroke,as an EXC.

The kit will consist of new longer damper rod,aluminium rebound tube,longer springs and new caps.

Very interesting. So OEM forks can support 300 mm of travel.

----------------------------

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Yellow Pig [​IMG]
    How complicated/involved is it to convert the 2012+ rear shock to full 300mm travel?
    Not possible,without making a new damper rod,we (and Beaney) tried a couple of ways,but not with any great satisfactoction

---------------------------

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset">Originally Posted by gen [​IMG]
    Very interesting. So OEM forks can support 300 mm of travel.
    Yes,they have the same length inner & outer tubes as an EXC,just more overlap when with shorter stroke,but 2012 on have different lower legs,less axle offset and different compression adjusters.

---------------------

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset">Originally Posted by AccelRus MaxiMus [​IMG]
    I assume you were referring ^^ to the 690's ?

Same lenght tubes = surprising to me since the KTM
    manuals list such different fork and spring lengths
    for the EXc's and 690's...

Not that I know that because I have been trying
    to find a longer travel fork for my 690...

Err.... very.... much.... :rofl

Will these new kits will fit the 2012-2013 690's ?

The inner & outer tubes are definitely the same on all 690's & same as EXC,so it is possible to extend them to 300mm travel without the overlap being too small,we (and Tractive Suspension) have checked this.
    The tricky bit is getting the new damper rod to work with both the old EXC-type 690 fork,and the 2012-on 690 fork,which has a different lower fixing.But between us & tractive(we are dealing with the ex-WP guy who designed the 48mm WP fork!!) we seem to have come up with a kit that will work with both types.
    We estimate the kit cost will be around £300,plus taxes and shipping,so no more having to go on e-bay looking for old EXC forks anymore!!!

---------------------------

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset">Originally Posted by ktmmitch [​IMG]
    The inner & outer tubes are definitely the same on all 690's & same as EXC,so it is possible to extend them to 300mm travel without the overlap being too small,we (and Tractive Suspension) have checked this.
    I can confirm that all EXC and LC4 (640+690) outer tubes are the same length, only the 950/990 SE and ADV have more overlap to better support the tubes. So if you want to have more than 300mm you'd want to use those. :evil

Quote:
    The tricky bit is getting the new damper rod to work with both the old EXC-type 690 fork,and the 2012-on 690 fork,which has a different lower fixing.But between us & tractive(we are dealing with the ex-WP guy who designed the 48mm WP fork!!) we seem to have come up with a kit that will work with both types.
    Hey John,

How would that work given the different piston rod diameter? The hydraulic stops, bottoming cones and screw sleeves, top caps all have to be matched with the right diameter rod, no?

Edit: I think the earlier 690s still had the thinner rods, didn't they? EXCs made the switch in 2009 I think.
    ----

300mm fork kit
    <HR style="COLOR: #575757; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #575757" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Been busy building the first set of 300mm fork kits into our standard KTM 690 Enduro forks.
    This increases the stroke from 250mm to EXC type 300mm.
    Only for the later 2012-on forks, we are working with Tractive Suspension on a kit for the earlier ones.
    Available now on the webshop.

http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/...sert-kit-300mm[​IMG]

---------------

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Nowwhat [​IMG]
    Any way to modify existing shock?
    No,spent last year trying........

--------------------

690 Overland Shock
    <HR style="COLOR: #575757; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #575757" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->We have now recieved our first production batch of Overland Shocks from Tractive Suspension. These have been specifically designed for the 690 Enduro rider who wants a rugged, simple shock, but with the unique addition of a Hydraulically-operated Preload Adjuster, and ride-height adjustment.
    This can give up to 10mm more preload adjustment, at the turn of a knob. Ideal for those wishing to carry extra luggage, pillion passenger or even changes in riding conditions.
    It also incorporates their own ride-height adjustment to give up to 28mm reduction in seat height, if required.This is easy to do by undoing the locknut and screwing in the lower eye to reduce the shock length.
    Available in 250mm & 275mm wheel movements.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/...0-enduro-250mm
    [​IMG]

---------------------

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset">Originally Posted by DirtSolace [​IMG]
    "......Available in 250mm & 275mm wheel movements."

Mitch,

Two Questions?

1. Can you explain the criteria (function) for selecting between the two sizes which are offered?

2. Are the units you've received prototypes or are you selling units that have already (hopefully) had the "bugs" worked out?

thanx in advance--stan

The choice of wheel movement for the shocks we offer, either 300, 275 or 250mm, is a personal choice for the rider, and depends on what they want from their KTM 690.

All the units we sell are production items, and the prototypes were built to test performance, fit etc.by us over the last few months.
    All shocks come with a 2-year warranty.

------------------------

KTM Twins Suspension Test
    <HR style="COLOR: #575757; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #575757" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->WE are sending one of our Tractive Rally Shocks & a set of 2012 KTM 690 Enduro forks fitted with our 300mm Fork Kits over to Ron at KTM Twins in CA for them to test with one of their riders.
    These are production items, from stock, and it will be good to get a viewpoint from one of their riders as to the improvements, not only in stroke (300mm at either end), but also performance.

KTM Twins are the largest Rally-Raid Products stockist in the US, and hold many of our products from stock.

http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-rally-raid-690-990-products
    [​IMG]

-----------------------

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Bill the Bong [​IMG]
    Hi John

Only thing that concerns me is servicing. Will you be able to supply the servicing specs so that I can have this done in South Africa? The idea of posting a shock across the world on a yearly basis does not appeal to me.

The servicing could be done by any good Suspension shop, but they MUST have a vacuum pump to purge the shock of air before filling.
    We can supply settings for servicing.

-----------------
  15. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    Nice job, Uller.
  16. Uller

Uller Done with this BS

Oddometer:
    Post on Facebook from Rally Raid Products

Testing Suspension in USA

We sent a set of our new suspension to Charlie Rauseo in sunny California to test on his KTM 690 Enduro, which has recently finished Baja.

We sent our Tractive Rally Shock, with the 300mm stroke and PDS to replace Charlie's std shock, and also a set of 2013 OEM forks fitted with our new 300mm conversion, to compliment the rear shock.

Charlie reported that the parts fitted straight in, and initial rides showed an improvent over standard, along with increased stroke for those bigger hits.

We will post more report from Charlie later, but he has offered an prospective customers to call him to arrange a ride on his bike to guage the difference to the OEM units.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update to follow.
  17. Uller

Uller Done with this BS

Oddometer:
    Update from Rally Raid Products FB page:

[​IMG]
    Rally Raid Products

Since the recent launch of our Fork Insert Kits to increase the stroke of the latest KTM 690 Enduro by 50mm, we have been finishing off a similar kit to suit the first E models with 250mm stroke & later R models with 275mm stroke.

These are based on the same high-quality parts supplied by Tractive Suspension in Holland, and can be fitted by any competent home mechanic or suspension shop.

They will fit all the earlier forks sets, the ones with the compression adjuster directly in the underside of the axle mount.Not only do they increase the fork travel to nearly 300mm, the oil volume is increased, and with new springs specifically for the KTM 690 Enduro, the gain in performance is noticeable.

Available from stock now, via our website.

[​IMG]
  18. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have just finished the first production billet adaptor so that riders with older KTM EXC & SX can fit the new 2014 front fender, and the new halogen headlight.
    This specially designed aircraft-spec aluminium bracket enables the new 2014 fender to mount onto the older style triple clamp, as the new style has 2 M6 screws in the front and 2 M6 screws from the underside.
    The new 2014 headlight unit is a straight "plug & play" fit to the new fender, and gives better brightness than the old design.
    Production parts will be anodised black, and are designed to fit both billet & cast triple clamps, all years.
    On website next week.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  19. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm loving my Rally Raid 690.

The 300mm Rally suspension, while a bit tall, is fantastic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lulu7404, outbacktm and grace like this.
  20. Uller

Uller Done with this BS

Oddometer:
    John,

Any progress on the new Link and Rocker for the 690?