Headlight question

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Twinboy, May 4, 2012.

1. Twinboy

Twinboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    While headed to my class today my headlight went out. When I returned home I did the usual checks, replaced bulb no change! Both beams are out. I checked fuses,they appear good.didn't see any loose or corroded wires in the headlight bucket. High beam will flash with the passing switch depressed. The tail light and turn signals work fine! It is a 1983 R 100 with CS package purchased new by me.there are no hacked wires or connections. I t also has the euro headlight on off switch. I am thinking relay. Thanks
  2. Rucksta

Rucksta SS Blowhard

Oddometer:
    Swap the Hi-Lo wires over on the back of the bulb.
    If the low beam comes on with the passing switch held down then the relays & circuts ar OK and it's likely the switch is worn(out)
  3. Boxer Metal

Boxer Metal Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    When you turn the ignition switch on does the headlight relay click?
  4. Twinboy

Twinboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Upon suggestions received,I turned on the ignition switch and had a finger on the headlight relay where I felt and heard a faint click.I flipped the hi/lo switch and now both beams are working fine.I was going to change the wires for hi/lo to check the passing light function but this isn't needed now.I am thinking loose connection to relay as cause but hate an intermittent problem.Thanks for the great suggestions!
  5. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could be the switch, too.

Just curious: tail light? Turn signals? or just headlight out?
  6. Twinboy

Twinboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All other lights worked! Taillight,brakelight, turnsignals and parking light were fine. Last year I switched out the US headlight switch for a new euro on off switch so unlikely that the switch is worn out. It is working fine since I cleaned and applied dielectric grease to the wires that plug into the headlight relay.
  7. wirewrkr

wirewrkr the thread-killer

Oddometer:
    Maybe it's just time for a new headlight relay. They aren't that much
  8. Twinboy

Twinboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it is a nearly 30 year old relay that retails for around $20. I will pick up one Monday from our local airhead shop Motorrad Unlimited in Asheville.Thanks!
  9. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rick has 'em. Dunno how much, but I am sure cheaper than the closest BMW boutique.