Onboard aluminum tool box for 1200GS/A

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Advdave, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Advdave

Advdave jubilado

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  2. aGremlin

aGremlin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thought I would give Dave a bit of a bump.

From initial email enquiry to him about the tool box, several emails later, to one winging it's way to my corner of the world (if the world had corners New Zealand would be in one :D) less than 24 hours passed... that's impressive.

Now for the part I don't do so well... waiting :huh
  3. Advdave

Advdave jubilado

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the bump! Proud to have a box in NZ now.

Have some boxes built up and ready to ship.

I'll be at the Overland Expo in Flagstaff May 17-20, camped at the Rawhyde Rally site.
  4. rgb2cmyk

rgb2cmyk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those boxes look fantastic. What's the approximate internal dimensions of the box? I realize it's not exactly square, mostly I'm wondering width so I can see if my current tool kit fits without finding a new bag.

I swore off farkling the bike for a bit, but this just moved to the top of the list.
  5. Advdave

Advdave jubilado

Oddometer:
    The door opening is 10"w x 5" high. Height of 5" is about half the width of the box, then tapers to a bit over 3".

That's the opening size. The inside of the box is bigger... about 12 x 7, tapering on the end. I get an Aerostich tool roll in there and cram a few other things around it.

I have some to ship this week, then I'm off to the Overland Expo for a couple of weeks of riding.
  6. dsy

dsy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Called Dave 6pm Monday local time here in Ohio to see if there was anyway to get one of his tool boxes out to me asap as we're leaving on a cross country run Thursday. 8:15 Wednesday morning and I have it in my hands ready to install :clap
    Thanks Dave, looks great.
    Doug
  7. Advdave

Advdave jubilado

Oddometer:
    USPS comes through on that one. Glad you like the box!
  8. dsy

dsy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Everything worked out great. Post office came through and the Install was super easy. Probably took about 15 min. Drilled the bottom brackets on the rack, attached hanger on top then drilled through the bracket holes through the box mounting tab at the bottom of the box. Box seems really stout, looks great, and I thought the price was very fair. :D
    Doug
  9. Jafo28

Jafo28 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had one of these on my bike for about 10k now it is proving to be bomb proof! Well worth the price!:clap
  10. Trancedancer

Trancedancer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really looking great, have been thinking of getting one of those bags for a long time now!
    I just got myself a new GS Adventure, and wanted to ask you, if you have any idea if your box could fit on the racks for Touratech Zega Pro cases as well? Or if you could consider to make one that fits...I would gladly pay for it!

Great job!!!

/Henrik, Sweden :-D
  11. Advdave

Advdave jubilado

Oddometer:
    I have a box on zega panniers, it's a bit of an experiment. if you're handy and can make up a simple strap bracket for the rear, it'll work, I don't have a box to fit it with. I can send you photos and details but I'm away from the shop at the overland expo in arizona, I can send you more details in a week when I get home

please send me email with your email address and I'll send email direct. thanks'

dave@advgear.net
  12. Advdave

Advdave jubilado

Oddometer:
    Now, I'm painting some boxes black with DupliColor bedliner paint. Makes a nice looking box. Add $10, or buy the paint and do it yourself. I think it's a nice look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Grizzler

Grizzler Gas Passer For Hire

Oddometer:
    Nicely made, and a great addition to my bike!

Thanks, Dave :clap

==Grizzler
  14. Advdave

Advdave jubilado

Oddometer:
    In a couple of cases, the conduit hook bracket used for the top mount has opened up, it's mild steel and not up to the task.

If anyone has bought a box, email me and I'll send you two stainless steel Adel clamps to replace the metal hook on top and add another bracket on the forward side.

dave@advgear.net
  15. TheRoss

TheRoss IBA# 522, MOA, ABC Supporter

Oddometer:
    I emailed Dave this past Monday with some questions, and he replied quickly and professionally.

I ordered mine on Monday, he shipped it Tuesday, and USPS delivered it today.

The box looks great, and I can't wait to get out of work today to go home and install it.

I just love great customer service, and great hand-made-in-America farkles that actually add something useful to my bike. :clap
  16. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Any troubles ever, getting the Duplicolor bedliner to dry and not stay soft?

Tried some on a skid plate, seems it never drys!

Any tips appreciated.
  17. Advdave

Advdave jubilado

Oddometer:
    I think the trick is to avoid a thick coat. I put a few thin coats on and it seems ok, dry to the touch, doesn't scrape off. But until we get some miles and dirt involved, it's a bit of an experiment. The guy who started this trend has had good results, I don't claim this as my idea, just copied his paint choice...
  18. cratliff

cratliff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Received my box in record time...Installed with no issues..works Great !!!! very good product.... Thanks Dave!:clap:clap:D:D:clap:clap
  19. Advdave

Advdave jubilado

Oddometer:
    Glad you like it, that's what makes building these toolboxes worth doing.
  20. TheRoss

TheRoss IBA# 522, MOA, ABC Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bump!

For a great product. Installed mine a little over a month and 2600 miles ago. Works GREAT! :clap