Road Book Holder

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Ni3ous, Jan 8, 2011.

1. italrally

italrally Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    may be he changed it, because it was not working !
    But different style anyway, on the new roadbookholder the engine ist integrated !

[​IMG]
  2. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are 2 versions, built in and external motor:
    [​IMG]

Just trust me on this! Hélder personally told me he prefers this one because it's as reliable as the MD, but it allows you to put an entire day's roadbook in without having to break it into several parts :thumb
  3. lastplace

lastplace Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
  5. lastplace

Oddometer:
    yeah. Sorry. The roadbook and ICO come with their own switches, so you don't really need to add this combo switch. But, many rally racers find that spending $255 (or often more) for a really robust switch makes sense when a broken switch could ruin a race they've spent a year and over $50K preparing for.

There are actually a few similar switches out there that are all priced much higher. F2R makes this one, and their stuff, while expensive by some measures, is more reasonably priced than just about everyone else's. I shop around and test stuff quite a bit before adding new parts to our website. I won't add anything that doesn't work or doesn't last, and I'll try to find the least expensive option to get a particular job done.

Make something cheaper that works well, and I'll offer it on our site.

fun fun
    Charlie
  6. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
  7. lastplace

Oddometer:
    Yes. What I've seen of Tony's stuff is really good. I'm working with him to stock some of his stuff in the US. We should have it pretty soon. But, you'll see that his similar combo switch is a bit more expensive than the F2R one. I haven't tried Tony's switch yet, but I'll let you know what I think when I do.

fun fun
    Charlie
  8. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    I guess when you sell what? 200 a year, and they need to be useful out to.... 5MM revs.... but wow. I see about 50$ in parts, custom made. BUt like you said, you have to be able to count on this stuff, so if it works, then it works. I'm new to this stuff, and still getting a feel for the how and why of it all.
  9. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    I mounted the Meca switch in place of the ICO switch. I think the switch was $70 or $80 and was a lot nicer to use than the ICO switch. The buttons on the Meca switch have a nice positve movement where the ICO buttons have a vague feel.
  10. lastplace

Oddometer:
    While we are on the subject of switches, here is the Meca switch Seth used:
    http://www.rallymanagementservices.com/collections/universal/products/aluminum-ico-switch-upgrade
    or
    http://www.mecasystem.fr/pr/302/bouton-alu-de-commande-au-guidon-trip-ico-anodise-rouge.html
    (a bit more than $80)

The reason I like the new Combo switch better than the original ICO switch or the Meca switch is that it reverses the location of the ICO buttons. If you are trying to bump your ICO up or down to match a point you just passed in the roadbook, and you are using the original button locations, you run the risk of accidentally hitting the big button and switching to speedo function. So, you need to look down at your ICO more when the switches are in the original location. Looking down is dangerous. Maybe a bit too detailed info for the average user, but this makes a big difference for a rally racer. $255 difference? To some people, yes. (The KTM factory guys have used a similar button location for years.)
  11. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    Hello,

The Meca System combo switch (ICO+Roadbook) costs 240 Euro this side of the pond. (Aprox 305 USD nowadays).

It's a different philosophy, with two pressure switches for roadbook command instead of the toggle thumb switch.
  12. Carlos M

Oddometer:
    I got an F2R sponsorship to follow this year's Dakar on ADVrider, so I'm biased :evil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    I have the F2R switch combo from Charlie, and it's excellent! I like it a lot.
  14. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    Then can I get you guys opinion on this,

Haven't used it yet except for starter and kill, but am wiring it up for forward/reverse on the clutch side. the design allows you to keep fingers and thumb on the grip except the index finger and get some of the stuff off the bars, but still within easy reach.

[​IMG]

You can see it in the mirror.

[​IMG]

Had to wire in a motor control chip for the switches, but I've gotten it to work pretty well so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. bigborefan

bigborefan I know a lot, and what I don't know, I lie about.

Oddometer:
    Rally ain't cheap. That's why I am still just a rally poser. :rofl
  16. Seth S

Oddometer:
    the switch i am talking about is only to replace the stock ICO switch. it just has the 3 buttons for ICO. had the F2R combo switch been available when i got my F2R roadbook id have gotten that. I think for future events I will run an ICO for backup and a watchdog as a main computer. much easier to read display with speed and distance.
  17. Carlos M

Oddometer:
    Understood, I didn't know it was possible to mount the Meca ICO swith alone, thought it was to bolt on the Meca roadbook remote. But the Meca ICO switch alone is $135 USD anyway.
  18. Carlos M

Oddometer:
    Never seen this before. You designed/built it yourself? looks smart!

Can't figure if it would be ergonomically advantageous, would have to try it.
  19. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    Yes, Ive made a handfull of parts for the bike as it sits, here are some of the proto's of the switches.

[​IMG]

It's actually amazingly easy to reach and these switches are the same as the MecaSys roadbook switches and have a very nice solid feel to them.

[​IMG]

Sure they won't be for everyone, but putting them there opens up more room on the bars for other things and keeps them in a safe area.

I did find some strangeness with the motor drive chip I have, it can have a hesitation if you continuously go back and forth between forward and reverse quickly and enough times, but works fine if you pause between pushing the buttons. I think it has to do with the enable saturation point in this particular chip, I just ordered a dual chip with higher load capacity and some 16 pin sockets, its like 2 chips in one and is reversible in the socket if one side fails.

[​IMG]
  20. Seth S

Oddometer: