Royal Enfield Adventure Bike – Have I lost my mind?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Staplegunnr, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Staplegunnr

Staplegunnr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First, quick story, about 20 years ago I destroyed a 2 week old dirt bike while walking away without a scratch. Last year, I took the MSF basic rider course and bought a new bike, a Royal Enfield Electra, 6 months later I purchased a Triumph Bonneville. I am hooked on riding again…
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I am debating about turning my Enfield into a light weight adventure bike. Currently, I use the bike as a daily driver to run around town (can’t beat 70 mpg). I have made changes/modifications to the bike, mostly to increase available horse power. I also have brackets/mounts that with some minor mods can be used for hard cases.
    <o:p></o:p>
    What I am looking at are tires, handle bars, a seat and a fly screen of some sort.
    Tires – Michelin Anakee 100/90 19 both front and rear (both tires are a front tire with the tire in the rear being run in reverse direction)
    Handle bars – Stock bars replaced with a braced “Scrambler” style with about 4” of rise over the stock bars.
    Seat – A Scrambler type that is about 2/3rds of the length of the stock seat.
    Fly screen – I will fabricate myself
    My goal is a bike that is comfortable on dirt roads and some 2 track.
    So, have I lost my mind?

Some extra information: the Enfield Electra has a re-designed motor that is many times more reliable then the original motor. I can run the bike at 65 "all day".

My Enfield as it is today.
    [​IMG]
    Combatscoot likes this.
  2. earthroamer

earthroamer Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer:
    Love your Enfield, Staplegunnr, and yes, you have lost your mind, but please share more of your insanity with us.
  3. seahorse100

seahorse100 SLUG

Oddometer:
    Dont question your sanity just start cuttin'and hackin' etc.................
  4. justJeff

justJeff Banned

Oddometer:
    I think it depends on how adventuresome you want to get. I've owned an Enfield Bullet. I put quite a bit into the engine, porting, polishing, high comp. piston, Amal Carb, BSA exhause, etc. I got rid of the battery box, relocated the coil, did all sorts of stuff. At one time it was probably making more power than any other Bullet in existence. I was invited to lunch with some reps from the factory in India and they were amazed at how much power my bike was making. That being said, without spending a lot more money (and ruining the classic good looks) on things like brakes, the bike just wasn't a very capable stopper.

They're a very simple bike, and easy to wrench on. From that standpoint they're probably an ideal adventure platform. If you don't plan on spending much time on superslabs, or expect much offroad, it would probably work okay. Since you already have a Triumph, I think I'd be more tempted to get something like a Scrambler to use as an adventure mount. It's more modern in about every way.
  5. intheways

intheways Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definite style points for adventurin' on the Bullet. It looks like a sweet bike.:evil
  6. 2old2race

2old2race I wana ride

Oddometer:
    I think you will find that the Royal Enfield is used quite often as an adventure bike in places like india
  7. kevrider

kevrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    why not start with the trials kit?

[​IMG]

not sure how much is compatible with the Electra, but......
  8. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, this is on the local CL..... Just sold one of the WRs.....

500 CC ROYAL ENFIELD - $3500
    <HR>Reply to: sale-614855354@craigslist.org

Date: 2008-03-22, 6:55AM HST

ROYAL ENFIELD BULLETT AIR COLOLED 500 CC SINGLE CYLINDER ENGINE.
    BLACK W/GOLD TRIM AND LETTERING. 5 SPEED ELECTRIC OR KICK START. 50 M.P.G. PHOTO READY TO SEND TO YOUR EMAIL,

CALL ZAK 895-7302
  9. green hell

green hell yawning or snarling

Oddometer:
    go nuts!

this video shows a fellow on a seriously loaded enfield doing some adventure touring.

he carried all his camera equipment. he'd stop, set up his shot, then ride through, then go back and tear it down.

here's the trailer.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SldSSPxWMfk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SldSSPxWMfk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
  10. dircha

dircha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should definitely try it so long as you get a kick out of it and you can live with your nice bike getting beat up. I think it's very cool. I used to love to ride my harley on dirt roads.

Maybe you can get some kind of bash plate and guards to protect that engine case? Looks like going down in rocky terrain would do a real number on it as is.
  11. Staplegunnr

Staplegunnr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    kevrider - my idea is a non-farkled version of the Indian kit. Most of the parts will not work on the Electra.

tweeker43 - that vid, and this site was what has lead me to loosing my mind.

Yes, I have lost my mind....

thanks for the replies
  12. welder

welder Long timer

Oddometer:
    buy a klr650
  13. Uglyprimate

Uglyprimate UglyPirate

Oddometer:
    Enfields are one of the Original Adventure bikes. I wouldn't consider them anything less.

Upgrade to knobbies and you're finished.
  14. twotired

twotired Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. Dieselboy

Dieselboy Journey not Destination

Oddometer:
    Staplegunnr,

I have decided that all bikes are "adventure bikes", but not all riders are adventure riders.

Ride on! :thumb
  16. PANTERA

PANTERA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I say go for it! I'm bored to tears with most modern bikes that have no soul. Plastic bikes just don't do it for me. It's nice to ride a bike that you don't see 10 just like it every time you take a ride.
  17. kevrider

kevrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    boy, ain't that the truth! :nod
  18. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Any bike you can fix with a big rock and a wire coat hanger is definitely "adventure worthy"...
  19. tshelver

tshelver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beween here (SE Asia) and there (Southern Africa)
    I guess it all depends on what kind of 'adventuring' you want to do, but seeing as you already have the RE, you know the shortcomings.

It's an old versus new design bike thing Older bikes are easier to fix, but need fixing and servicing much more often. Newer design bikes go better, handle and stop better.

I rode the RE a few years back (military look-alike) when I was looking for a thumper for dirt road exploring. Seemed it would do ok, but the tall first gear and limited 'comfortable' cruising speed (anything much over 55mph seemed to vibrate my boots off the pegs), as well as the stodgy suspension, put me off.

Plus I'm not really somebody that enjoys futzing with valves and such every 1000 miles or so (what the dealer told me).

But have at it despite the issues: different strokes for different folks.
    Tou don't need the latest / greatest equipment to have fun. After all, I adventured a Vespa P200E 2-up back in the early 80s on paved and dirt roads, and had a lot of fun.

200 - 300 miles in a day was much more of a challenge than on my K100RS of the time, but just as fun in a different way. As long as you aren't in a hurry or trying to break any records, pick your routes, and don't need to keep up with a KTM Adventure 990, the RE should do it.
  20. twotired

twotired Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heres a bit of inspiration from some of the members of the RE forum I belong to.

Attached Files:

• 34e4.jpg
      34e4.jpg
      File size:
      65.7 KB
      Views: