Hotrodding the GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Poolside, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fahrtleiter

fahrtleiter Volunteer Staph

Oddometer:
    The sensor connection on top of the air box. Disconnect, and insert the Motofab connectors inline. :deal
  2. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer

Oddometer:
    Here's a post from Marketing, listed on the first page of this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15457461

It was pretty easy, even for over-thinkers like me, as the connections only go together one way.
  3. Minnesota

Minnesota Conform or be cast out

Oddometer:
    The good news: I got mine!

The bad news: There is about 5 inches of snow on my 1/2 mile long driveway and the temps are highs in the 20's, lows in the single digits or teens.

I'm thinking this thing won't get tested until March or April.
  4. Ridestrong

Ridestrong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Due to extreme weather patterns a new marketing decision should ship all new production to the southern states, i.e. Texas, etc. since those with orders in the north will not be able to use their IICE until mid to late spring.:norton:D:lol3:wink:
  5. Minnesota

Minnesota Conform or be cast out

Oddometer:

Now that I have mine, I'm okay with that. :lol3
  6. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    I agree! Below are some new installation links

Many informative links are located in the first post of this thread, and in the Vendors thread.

<BR>
  7. frogy

frogy Long timer

Oddometer:
    :nono When I get mine it will be installed right away.Unless there is snow or salt I ride thru winter.
  8. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>Thank you for your recent orders everyone!

<BR>
  9. Ausfahrt

Ausfahrt Luftkopf

Oddometer:
  10. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Post ride report...

So not many miles but it definitely feels crisper on acceleration. Maybe just because I waited so long and spent my money. Internal justification?

However in traffic I can run the rpm waaay lower and it is still smooth and then pulls smoother from that rpm. I commute on mine and without the lower adventure first gear traffic is a PITA. Lot's of shifting lots of time on the clutch. (for those unfamiliar TX traffic is 0-80-0 in 100 yards...:deal) I have found that it just allows the engine to run down and then accelerate smoothly. I am assuming the engine never gets to a true steady state and given the low rpm the EFI is basically flipping around through the various maps. The extra fuel compensates for this.

1 happy camper here. So when is the cool coming? shall I preorder for 2013? :rofl
  11. frogy

frogy Long timer

Oddometer:
    That early?:huh
  12. jduke

jduke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mines on and noticeable improvement in idle of off throttle response, well worth the money.
    Now the B I G question...when can we expect the IICE Cool?
  13. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    All in due course. Now is the era of the IICE Air.

For a few more days at any rate, until the FINAL SALE ends.

<BR>
  14. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>Lurch-followed-by-lunge. You all know what I'm talking about. You crack the throttle and there's a moment's hesitation, followed by a burst of power. At times the hesitation is severe enough that it feels like the motor may stall.

The 'lurch-followed-by-lunge' or 'snatchy throttle' condition that many bikes have is primarily due to the way that Transient Fueling (aka: throttle tip-in) is managed. Not that throttle tip-in is managed poorly per se, but that in order to produce smooth, uninterrupted power, a good shot of fuel is needed at throttle tip-in.

That's fine and all, but the thing about that is the additional fueling needed during throttle tip-in is also the primary source of motor emissions. And because of emissions, there isn't much choice but to operate the motor very lean during throttle tip-in movements, and drivability be damned. The IICE Cool is designed to correct the lean mixture at throttle tip-in.

Just how lean is throttle tip-in? Well, a general rule of thumb for developing a transient throttle control algorithm for the ECU is, "Just make sure the motor doesn't stall." This spartan objective is due primarily to the need to pass emissions within the constraints of both the EPA and the Accounting department, than any abdication of duty from Design or Engineering.

The designer or engineer works within practical constraints. The emissions rules are what they are, and the motor will have the equipment that the manufacturer gives it. And that means, the designer must figure a way to pass emissions using only the ECU and motor control equipment slated for that motor, and do it within the scheduled timeframe and allotted budget for development and testing. Sometimes it's a wonder anything works well at all.

For most BMW bikes, the designer's job to produce a refined drivability from a motorcycle motor is made far more difficult due to the lack of drive-by-wire throttle control. Electronic throttle control is very relevant to drivability because giving control of the throttle to the ECU means that the throttle never does anything unpredictable.

When the ECU controls the throttle butterfly, the ECU can predict the future. What that means is the ECU always knows what the throttle is going to do next, because the ECU is following a script. Here's an example. In one moment the rider twists the throttle, quickly, slowly, any way they happen to do it. And in the next imperceptible moment the ECU executes a slightly different throttle butterfly motion from a pre-programmed routine or script. These throttle-opening routines are crafted to produce good drivability while passing emissions regulations.

Riders open and close the throttle any random way they like. This randomness is an issue because without throttle-by-wire those unpredictable rider-controlled throttle movements are nearly impossible for the ECU to fuel smoothly while also controlling emissions. But with a throttle-by-wire system the random throttle movements never make it directly to the throttle butterfly. Instead the ECU is in control. It opens the throttle, and controls fueling, by following one of its collection of programmed throttle opening curves.

Using a drive-by-wire throttle, the small number of throttle curves pre-programmed into the ECU is a cinch to fuel correctly. The designer can easily make the throttle powerfully responsive and smooth, while at the same time, not cause an emissions spike at throttle tip-in. With the ECU always knowing what the throttle is about to do, drivability does not suffer for the sake of emissions, no matter what the rider does with the throttle.

The reason that throttle-by-wire works so well is the designer isn't forced to pass emissions and have good drivability for all possible random sequences of large and small throttle movements. Instead, the ECU watches the twist-grip throttle as a user-input, and evaluates what the rider wants. Then it opens the throttle by following only pre-configured throttle-opening ramps and curves that were programmed into the ECU. In that way the random, and difficult-to-fuel throttle inputs from the rider are reduced to a small, finite group of pre-determined throttle opening curves.

This is all very wonderful, except for the fact that for the most part BMW bikes do not have throttle-by-wire. And because of that, drivability suffers. Especially at throttle tip-in.

The IICE Cool is designed to compensate for the lean mixture at throttle tip-in.
    </td></tr></table>

<BR>
  15. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:
    Very nice explanation, thanks!

The stumbling is not only felt during tip-in on acceleration but also on deceleration. As the throttle is released or closed, there comes a point on an rpm almost at idle speed that the stumbling also occurs. That is my experience. I hope the IICE COOL will also solve that.
  16. DDT Rider

DDT Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed...for me it seems most pronounced in 2nd gear...
  17. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    Here is a hint…

OFC (last paragraph):deal
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17329712&postcount=1824

JJ :evil
  18. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>It sounds like what you're describing is the effect of Overrun Fuel Cutoff. Or rather, the period when Overrun Fuel Cutoff ends, and normal fueling resumes. When normal fueling resumes, the effect is perhaps best described as a 'hiccup', or maybe a 'hitch in your get along". It occurs between 1500 and 2000 RPM.

If you happen to be trolling around at that motor RPM, you know, crossing back and forth through that RPM zone, it feels like the bike is bucking.

Yes, the IICE Cool fixes that.
    </td></tr></table>

<BR>
  19. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>Assembly report.

Ok, the last batch of the 'original orders' ship on Monday!
    (This list has already been posted.)

F.F., CO
    R.M., AZ
    A.H., CA
    C.Y., AK
    A.C., MD
    J.W., WA
    C.P., MO
    M.K., WI
    A.M., TX

Orders for the FINAL SALE will be accepted until then!

The Final Sale ends Monday Dec 12. It is the last chance.

<BR>
  20. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:

'Zactly! :clap:clap:clap
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.