/5 Toaster Side Covers

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Donny1973, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Donny1973

Donny1973 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The look of the toaster side covers is really growing on me. I've decided to put a set on my '70 R60/5 cafe project. My bike is not originally a toaster bike, so it doesn't have the tabs on the subframe for the side covers. I've been looking at pics of subframes and I see that there are at least three different tab configurations. I want to make sure I buy a subframe with the correct tabs to retain the side covers.

Does anyone know if any of the subframe pics below have the correct toaster side cover retaining tabs? I'm not sure what bikes these are from. The tabs in the second and third pic look similar, but the tabs on the third one are much shorter. Or better yet, can someone post or email me a pic of the tabs on their bike?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer:
    Top two look to be off an R65 and won't work, the bottom one looks like the one on my LWB '73 and my '74 R75/6. The early subframes had a single tube where the stamped steel piece is in that last photo. NOTE: the mounting tabs are about 3/8" wide on the early frames, then went to about 1/2" wide on the later ones with the fiberglass side covers... [​IMG]
  3. Donny1973

Oddometer:
    Thanks BB. If it's not too much of a bother, when you get a chance, could you pop off one of the covers and snap a pic of the tabs? No rush. Thanks
  4. Big Bamboo

Oddometer:
    You can see one under the hinge in that photo. The later ones are wider, shorter and don't have the "hook" on the end. (see the third photo in your post)
  5. Donny1973

Oddometer:
    Yep, I see it. Thanks for pointing it out.
  6. Beezer Josh

Beezer Josh Moto-Amish No-Mo

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting those Big Bamboo! It's interested to see how they go on as my side panels are missing.

Donny-here are some photos I just shot. Had to walk out in the snow* to get them.

Right side cover tabs:
    The lower one is bent inward.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left side cover tabs:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you need any more detailed photos, let me know.

*What the hell?! It's snowing in November?? I need to move back to Texas...rant over.
  7. Donny1973

Oddometer:
    Thanks a ton Josh. I now know exactly what I need. I appreciate you braving the elements. Although I live in Florida, I'm in New York for a few days visiting family and freezing my ass off so I know the sacrifice.
  8. bmwhacker

bmwhacker Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer:
    Below is a 1973 1/2 Long Wheel Base sub frame.

[​IMG]

I used this one on a 1974 build as it fit my QSL solo seat mounts. They are also a little stouter than the stock single stamped metal cross brace on the later R bikes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Big Bamboo

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's the rarest of them all. I wonder when they actually started using the later style?
  10. bmwhacker

bmwhacker Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer:
    I think in 1974. I've had a number of 74 basket cases and they all had the stamped cross member....and nearly every one had a cracked weld.