MC Insurance Company Suggestions

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by stevemd, Dec 6, 2012.

1. stevemd

stevemd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last time I insured a bike, 3 years ago, I went with Progressive. Never made a claim so dunno how Flo and co. would have handled one.

I have my home and auto ins. through AARP Hartford. For MC insurance, AARP is pushing a co. called Foremost. Never heard of them.

Any suggestions? Not looking to pinch pennies, just good coverage from a reputable company.

Thanks,

steve
  2. Morgan Steele

Morgan Steele Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Foremost is a specialty insurer that some insurance companies (e.g., Farmers) use to insure motorcycles.

My experience is that if you are dealing with a widely recognized insurance company then there generally isn't much difference in claims handling. (Individuals have unique experiences good or bad; but, across the board there's not much difference between the large carriers.) AARP does not provide insurance but it does provide a "brand" to an insurance company; in this case, The Hartford.

There are a number of threads on ADV relating to insurance. Be aware that insurance is highly indvividualized. Location, age, driving history, etc. will play large roles. Your best bet is to ask local riders in your area. In addition, make sure you are comparing "apples to apples" (i.e., coverages and limits) when comparing rates.
  3. stevemd

stevemd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  4. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Foremost is a Farmer's insurance company. Foremost is the "special lines" (m/c, boats, etc) arm of Farmers.

Progressive started out as a high-risk carrier back in the 1930s if I remember right, and has progressed into a major player. Progressive is the largest insurer of motorcycles in the country, or was when I was there. Progressive was very proud of their special lines coverages and claims handling and trained their claims adjusters in special lines like no other insurance company I've heard of. A Progressive claims adjuster would be trained to identify damage as well as, and probably better than, anyone in the industry.

That doesn't necessarily mean that Progressive is a better overall company, but in my area, if I wasn't going with through the same company as my home owners policy (for the discounts) I'd have Progressive Insurance for my motorcycle (based on claims handling).

I've worked as an adjuster for both Farmers and Progressive.
  5. DaveStockwell

DaveStockwell Rock Fodder

Oddometer:
    I've been with Progressive for years. Got great rates. No claims so I can not attest to their work there. Prior to that I had Foremost with all good experiences. When I lived back in the midwest, I was insured through Dairyland. They were very customer friendly.

Since claims for me are nearly nonexistent, I look for the one with the best motorcycle towing package. Also, when I had the Harley with Foremost, they had a clause that allowed for replacement of not only the bike but full value of all the custom accessories which is NOT standard on most policies. It can make a big difference if you have a lot of aftermarket (i.e.: saddle bags) that cost a lot to replace.
  6. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check any potential insurance carrier regarding theier coverage of helmets and other gear -- found out, to our dismay, this spring, that American Family doesn't cover gear at all.

I imagine this varies from state to state, like most other things to do with insurance. . . . . it pays to ask the question
  7. alfabc

alfabc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had Foremost through Farmers. I compared policies with All State, and All State came out the clear winner, even though I was getting a "multiple vehicle discount" from Farmers (two cars and two motorcycles). I now pay much less for the same coverage on the bikes. No claims, so can't talk to that, but All State is a well known company.

I checked into the back story on Progressive and didn't care for their leanings. Nuff said.
  8. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    I wrecked three bikes, all expensive BMW's while insured with Progressive. In each case the claim was handles fairly and quickly by Progressive, allowing me to buy a new bike. I always received full credit for extensive accessories in addition to book value for the totaled bikes, even helmets were reimbursed. My rate only increased marginally for these self induced losses.
  9. Ayrshire Bull

Ayrshire Bull why the hell not?

Oddometer:
    for anyone from Canada peeking in on this thread - I've worked with Megson and Fitzpatrick for bike insurance.

Good folks - with solid service.

I got knocked off my wife's Vee about 2 years ago. Classic brain dead cager, signalling right while turning left :huh

The Megson Fitzpatrick folks treated us right. WAY!!!! better than ICBC
  10. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Had foremost and they raised my full coverage rate from 450/year to 3600/year after a minor collision (8k damages, no injuries)

Progressive has me at about 700 now.
  11. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have had progressive for several years and have used the claim service a few times.....myself and son

Have had 2 bikes totaled, along with gear needing to be replaced. In the case of my son...

97 GPZ1100 over a hill in SE Ohio, resulted in broken collarbone for him, totaled bike, cut off jacket, damaged helmet. They covered bike for MORE than he paid for it, covered his Muzzy full exhaust and Corbin seat at full RETAIL, also paid out more than enough to replace his helmet and jacket ( 2 year old stuff ) with upgraded new stuff....in other words, he made out like a bandit. We didnt even have to say anything to them about those parts, the inspector/adjuster noticed them....i actually had forgotten he had them on the bike. Claim was covered without question, fully and fairly within a week even though the accident occurred a couple of hundred miles from where we live. BTW, bike and gear was his, but titled, licensed, and insured in MY name because of his age at time...20.

In my case....

2001 Kawaski Zr7-s oil in road resulting in low side. Cosmetic damage only (rode it home), but because of age of bike and limited production they totaled the bike. My suit was undamaged, but my 5 year old Arai was beat up pretty bad, so they replaced it....again at full RETAIL. Bike was covered for MORE than I paid for it.

I do NOT have road side assistance though them, because I have it through Kawasaki, but it is avaliable for just a small fee, don't know how well it works from either, but gives me some peace of mind to carry it.

I HAVE thought about checking other companies for coverage rates, but then I remember now well they have handled claims, and how good the customer service has always been, and I have never followed up and actually checked.
  12. henrymartin

henrymartin Mr. Tourguide no more.

Oddometer:
    Last week I got a quote from Allstate - package deal (house, two cars, two bikes, rental) and they are coming $600/year less than my current Safeco. I switched over on Thursday. Safeco kept increasing their premiums around 18% annually, which was insane.
  13. kevinj

kevinj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been with Progressive for 3 years now. I've filed several claims during that time. I never thought I would ever say this about an insurance company, but I am really happy with them and like them as a company. They have always been very quick and very helpful and have never argued policy details with me or given me a hard time about anything. Reimbursements have always been quick. I faced a total during this time and they gave me a fair price for that, too. When I got my new bike, I decided to shop around and got a quote from Geico and someone else. The price difference was minimal, so I was happy to stay with a company that has served me well.

Also, the online interface for creating quotes and playing with your policy is very user-friendly.

Good luck!

I insure close to the maximum level including collision and comprehensive. Collision is by far the most useful part of the policy. I pay a higher premium than many riders I know, but I always say :

I'm too poor to have cheap insurance!!! (I.e. could never pay for injuries or replace a bike out of pocket)
  14. ajay

ajay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been insured thru the AARP plan for the past year +. Unfortunately, I lost (total loss) my BMW R1150GS and Honda Silverwing ABS to a house fire. Foremost was quick, sensitive, and very fair in settling this comprehensive claim. I did not receive a premium increase.
  15. sobrider

sobrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the late post but have you considered GEICO? I have 3 bikes insured through them at very reasonable rates. have never put in a claim though so I can't comment on how easy they are to deal with. I see you're in Columbia.....If you are ever interested on off road riding I have a KTM I've been working on that is almost ready to go. On road is ok too....I usually take quick spins out on Homewood to Tridelphia and there abouts.

Steve D
  16. goolie

goolie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just compared Progressive, Geico, Markel, Safeco, Dairyland, Progressive, and McGraw. Safeco was the best for me. I'm not sure how y'all can compare prices without posting your coverage :deal so here's mine:

2006 950 Adventure coverage in SF, CA.
    2 moving violations :evil

Bodily Injury Liability w/ Guest Passenger - 100/300
    Property Damage Liability - 50
    Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist - 100/300
    Uninsured Motorist Property Damage - DECLINED
    Comprehensive - $250 deductable
    Collision - $250 deductable
    ======================
    Total: $693