The G650 GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by LarryGee, Jan 29, 2012.

1. dazz

dazz I don't want a nickel....

Oddometer:
    Morning DavidC83. To force the relearning do you need to take the battery out? (disconnect it). Can you not just pull whichever fuse that controls that electronic item? Is it the motronic? It would be easier just to pull ALL the fuses rather than disconnect the battery.
  2. Adventure MotoX

Adventure MotoX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates / Used to be Ottawa
    Peter, Let me know how it works out I am looking at ordering the same one... will be a bit lighter than the OE one and apparently a few extra horses

3. Davidc83

Davidc83 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It might be easier, but I dont like messing with fuses (I only remove them if they blow-which I have never had done on a motorcycle); I know loosening one cable on the battery is easy and I have used the WOT throttle method with success each time.
  4. reenmachine

reenmachine Rain or Shine

Oddometer:
    I had an awesome morning at Rowher Flats! 56 miles of dirt and 30 miles each way to get there. Everything worked perfectly today, and I was amazed by the new Continental Trail Attacks. Night and day on the freeway vs. the OEM Bridgestones, and very good on rocky hardpack fire roads.

[​IMG]
  5. trrt

trrt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's a You Tube walk around video of the 2013 G (yellow) at the Toronto show and it's being shown with spoked wheels. Anyone know why?
  6. Adventure MotoX

Oddometer:
    I heard it was now offered as an option.
  7. Adventure MotoX

Oddometer:
    If anyone is thinking about the tall windshield option I did a comparison with the two BMW options.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers
  8. trrt

trrt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting, thanks!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
  9. Backwardsit

Backwardsit n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone know of alternatives to the BMW clutch lever. Dropped the bike and broke the clutch lever. BMW say They don't sell the clutch lever only and I need to pay $165 for the whole clutch lever and assembly.

2013 G650GS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  10. modeselector

modeselector Common as muck

Oddometer:
    I believe anything from 05 to present 650 levers will fit. We purchased a $12 clutch lever from Parts Unlimited that fit wifes '07 perfect.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/190764964715?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
  11. PACK RAT

PACK RAT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I have a 2012 G650GS and have put about 2500 miles on it so far. Usually my gas light was coming on around 155 miles give or take. Recently one morning when the bike was ideling the gas light came on and then went off and ever since it has not come back on. Now I have stretched the miles to about 187 - 190 before refueling. Still no gas light and my tank took exactly 3.8 gallons of gas when filled and on top of that I had recently added a MRA wind screen to replace the stock winshield.

My manual states usable fuel qty approx 3.7, reserve fuel qty 1.1 So do I have a 3.7 total gallons of gas or 4.8 ??
    Im trying to figure out if Im getting possibly more MPG from the MRA windshield or if Im haveing a gas light failure. I should be recieving a MSR gas bottle today in the mail for some spare gas to carry with me to find out the hard way if my gas light will come on..
    Any input is appreciated.
  12. reenmachine

Oddometer:
    Sounds to me like a failure of the warning light system. I've got about 13,500 miles on mine and never have I made it to 190 miles without the light coming on. Mine consistently comes on between 150 & 160.

3.7 is your total fuel capacity, and the light comes on when you've got about 1.1 of that remaining.

I average 60mpg. 3.7-1.1=2.6 gallons, multiply that by 60 mpg and you get 156 miles, which is where the light always comes on.

You should take it to the dealer and have it repaired under warranty.
  13. PACK RAT

PACK RAT Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks,

Back to dealer she will go. I mentioned the warning light failure last time to the service tech when the bike was in for the warm start issue but it had a full tank of gas at the time. They said they couldnt replicate the problem.:boid I will be sure to turn the bike in with about 180 miles on her.
  14. reenmachine

Oddometer:
    Did they try to replicate the problem? They would have had to drain the fuel (or joyride your bike for 180 miles!).
  15. PACK RAT

PACK RAT Adventurer

Oddometer:

They said they drained it but i have my doubts....
  16. reenmachine

Oddometer:
    Well regardless, start looking for gas at 150 and start sweating at 200. :rofl
  17. PACK RAT

PACK RAT Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks,

Other than this and the warm start issue the bike has been great!! Good times :ricky
  18. glennmack

glennmack Good Bloke

Oddometer:
    Awesome photo Pete:clap
  19. reenmachine

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Just an iPhone photo. :thumb
  20. reenmachine

Oddometer:
    Here's an iPhone panorama from the same day: