Houston Area Riders

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by fnjeep314, Dec 8, 2012.

1. my6

my6 Long LongTimer...

Oddometer:
    Took an eighty four mile round trip little jaunt up to Humble/Kingwood from the house yesterday as a check out ride of sorts for the Hellbitch. Every thing was 5X5. Had three cagers almost hit me. All of them female and each gave me the "look".
    I've ridden some challenging and hairy terrain in my years as a rider but I must admitt that city riding is bookoo un-nerving and tops it all.:chace
  2. r2ro

r2ro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ugh! I hate that look. I hate it even more when they give me that look while holding a phone to their head!

I put some cheapo-shinko 244s on my bike and put about 100 miles on them so far (only pavement). I have to say they performed way better than I thought they would.

I lowered my bike about .5" and these taller tires have nullified that! Plus my Coleman seat pad adds a bit of height so in dangling feet at stops while hoping there isn't a crosswind! Lol

I'm ordering a seat concepts cover and foam that will lower the seat height 3/4" and hopefully eliminate the need for the Coleman pad as well saving another. 1/2" - 3/4" or so. That would be plenty, if not there is always lowering links, but I don't think they'll be necessary.

I also got new chain and sprockets. Larger rear to compensate for the taller rear tire. I was already running a slightly larger rear sprocket as the X is geared too high stock, and the taller tire put me right back to stock almost.

Hoping to do a gravel and dirt test soon. :D

--
    Sent from my iPhone
  3. my6

my6 Long LongTimer...

Oddometer:
    My Squeeze just surprised me with a late BDay present. My 606's should be here Thursday. I'm 6' even and was tiptoeing it at the stop lights yesterday. If they add much height it's gonna get interesting. lol
  4. r2ro

r2ro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ahaha. The stop light dance.

I'm 5'8" without shoes and have a 29 or 30" inseam. Worst of all is that I lack flexibility in my legs so I can't even throw my leg over the super tall bike (or even my much shorter Daytona) lol. I have to have it on the kickstand and use the inside peg as a step stool.

Which reminds me that I need to extend my kickstand a bit with these taller tires. It leans over more making it slightly more difficult to use the inside peg to step up. It's a face plant waiting to happen. :D

--
    Sent from my iPhone
  5. my6

my6 Long LongTimer...

Oddometer:
    Face plant... I know that term all too well.:muutt
  6. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just use the cowboy mounting style. You'll look cool. Well as cool as possible anyway. Booth feet on the ground, left foot on the left peg, step up and swing right leg over that old horse then sit down. Dismount in reverse after kick stand is down. This is also a test of the stability of the soil under the kick stand.

Elvis got on his dual sport that way ( Honda Trail 65 it looks like :rofl) . Look what that got him:

[​IMG]
  7. my6

my6 Long LongTimer...

Oddometer:
    Hey watch it now. My Mom's up there hangin with Elvis right now. :D
  8. r2ro

r2ro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is what I do. I just described it in the worst possible way! lol

--
    Sent from my iPhone
  9. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:

No she's not. I talked to Elvis on the phone the other day, he said he's still dead.
  10. my6

my6 Long LongTimer...

Oddometer:
    I know......
  11. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:
    You packing your Honda for the cruse?
  12. my6

my6 Long LongTimer...

Oddometer:
    Don't I wish. New shoes and I have to wait till I get back until I can try them on. Plus, I'm gonna have to crawl up into my attic and replace the water heater the day I get home before I can even begin to play with my scoot. :cry
    But I'm telling ya the Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise the following weekend I'm gonna get REAL DIRTY! :D
  13. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:
    Ugg. I replaced my water heater a few mounths ago. Not too bad except for getting the old solid lime filled one down from the atic. If you need help holler.
  14. my6

my6 Long LongTimer...

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer but I'm gonna get a couple of young flat belly's from down the street to help me with the muscle work. I'm the son of a master plumber, my Dad always hated doing repair work. His pet peeve was anyone designing a home with the waterheater in the attic. It's just plain STUPID. :asshat
  15. r2ro

r2ro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Recovered my seat with shorter, softer foam. I can reach the ground with both feet again. Balls of my feet. :D[​IMG]

It's not perfect, but came out better than expected.

--
    Sent from my iPhone
  16. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:
    That looks pretty good !!!!
  17. Whec716

Whec716 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,

New rider here with a 2013 WR250R in Spring.

Where about do you ride offroad?

Would appreciate any feedback/guided tour offers!

C
  18. r2ro

r2ro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heya! Nice bike! I have the 'X' version, but currently running knobbies. :clap

I'm an off-road noob, but it seems the area in/around the forest may be a good starting point. When do you normally ride?
  19. Whec716

Whec716 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I'm a noob to motorcycles in general. I have probably 600 miles under my belt total.

I ride anytime i can. I work at home so i don't have anywhere to really go!

Every come up to the forest?
  20. r2ro

r2ro Adventurer

Oddometer:

I've been through there a couple of times. Never *in* the forest, but just the roads through and around it. I've been wanting to go all this week, but too much rain for me.