Guatemala Section

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by adventureplanet, Aug 11, 2009.

1. sideshow713

sideshow713 Cruising central ame

Oddometer:
    Some where between Edmonton Alberta and Panama
    I will never tell anyone that something is completely safe. But I rode it solo last week with no issues.
  2. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Posted a reply on "Traveling in Mexico..." thread. Sounds like you don't want the western route around Lake Atitlan anyway as it's a bit challenging by all accounts. I rode the eastern side of the lake with no difficulties or troubles. Some rough-ish cobblestone sections but nothing you've not already ridden by this point. I was on a loaded GSA.
  3. goodwithafork

goodwithafork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips Schizz.

Any additional info on places to avoid, or cool roads that would make my V-Strom happy are much appreciated!
  4. Tanami

Tanami Under The Weather

Oddometer:
    Hey there Guatemalans and friends there of! I thought I'd drop a line or two as myself, my wife and our two children (7 & 10) will be staying with you for most of November.

We are traveling from way "down under" Down Under - the island state of Tasmania underneath the big island of Australia.

We will be based in Panajechal (with all the other gringos I'm told :lol3) but will be bouncing around the place looking at the sites and meeting people. I know we have a weekend in Antigua planned so Ill look to catch up with Guatrider for a cervaza. Anybody else?

Are we excited..Hell yes.

If anyone has ideas for things to do or see or think about shout em out. See you soon!
  5. goodwithafork

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know about tire availability south of Guatemala? I've got about 5500 miles on my Anakee 3's right now, with a lot of tread left. Trying to decide if it's worth strapping a set on top of everything else.

I'm also not sure if I'm going to be enjoying the Anakee's as I get further south. They are not that delightful when offroad on anything beyond hard pack.
  6. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:

Check your PM
  7. goodwithafork

Oddometer:
    On it, thanks for the excellent info thus far.
  8. goodwithafork

Oddometer:
    Guatemala is pretty great! I think I'll start making my way from Xela to Lake Atitlan and then Antigua early next week (I'm doing a 5 day Spanish course here), and then into Guatemala City.

GuateRider gave me the lowdown on some tires - so hopefully they have my size in stock. Other than that, I'll just need to track down an oil filter for my V-Strom and maybe some fork seals just to have in case of emergency.

Anyone have a favorite cheap hotel in the city they would recommend?
  9. ksop

ksop BMW GSA

Oddometer:
    Leaving Vancouver Island in 3 weeks and heading towards Guatemala. Can someone suggest the best place to cross from Mexico.

En espanol por favor

estoy saliendo desde vancouver isla en tres semanas y pregunto cual frontera es mejor a cruzar desde mexico en guatemala
    Muchas gracias por tus ayude

Muchas gracias

ksop
  10. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:

La Mesilla is the most scenic one IMHO
  11. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 mesilla:D
  12. ksop

ksop BMW GSA

Oddometer:
    Plan to be guate by Saturday. Anyone around the area?