2014 GSW Getting a Steering Damper as Standard Equipment!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Centurion210, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Centurion210

Centurion210 Pilot in command

Oddometer:
    How many of you '13 GSW Owners think that the bike needed a steering damper in the first place? Based on my test ride, the bike was very nimble and 'light on its feet' but I did not feel like it needed a damper. Just curious.
  2. Tonopah

Tonopah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have just short of 6,000 miles on my GSW (mixed use) and have not felt the need for a steering stabilizer BUT, if BMW thinks they need one, then I hope whatever they produce can be retrofitted to the 2013s.
  3. DMilan

DMilan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do.

Only 2 test rides...
    I'm no expert.

1. Felt LIGHT to me on test rides...

2. I've read of a couple/few complaints and seen a you tube review which mention handlebar wobble or some such issue.

3. There's a video circulating around of a gent thumping the right grip on GSWC as he motors down the road @ 60 mph. As I recall, his intent is to speak of the difference between light steering and instability. Shows the handlebar sort of oscillate as the steering centers and stabilizes from the thump of his palm hitting the grip. That oscillation is certainly a characteristic that neither my 2003 K1200GT w-stabilizer or my 2012 Suzuki DL650 without stabilizer exhibit.

my .02
    Yeah, I think it may benefit from a steering damper.

I should add, to lessen the flaming, overall I like the bike, might buy one.

d'milan
  4. Centurion210

Oddometer:
    I bet they would have a retrofit option; at the end of the day, it would mean more money in BMW's pocket. I don't think they would offer it as a free retrofit on the '13 model though...
  5. nickgoa

nickgoa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    During my 1st test ride with the dealer demo (metzeller tires) I was worried that its way too light... So a steering damper would be a welcome addition ... So I thought.

My bike has anakee tires and although I have the weight disappear and the bike feels light. It is very confidence inspiring and nowhere near what I remember from the dealer demo.

I don't know if the tire can make that much of a difference but it is the only difference I can come up with.

FYI I was the first to ride both bikes.
  6. iride4u

iride4u Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The front end is not as light as a KLR but is much lighter feeling then a Tiger XC.
    At first I was a little worried but after a few very slow miles I can see no problem.
    Any new bike should be run at a very slow speed doing as many MSF and Ride Like a Pro exercises as possible. School parking lots are great in the summer when school is out. Many large churches will let you practice if you ask.
    The key is to learn the bike in a safe environment and practice as much as possible.
  7. oz97tj

oz97tj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is nothing more than BMW pacifying the public to the rampant outcry that occurred during the GSW launch.

The bike does have light steering, but it's far from not being stable. No more than many bikes I've been on. There were two supposed issues of wobble during the launch (with many people blaming a death on with no factual evidence) but none sense. Of all the bikes out there, I've heard of exactly ZERO cases of headshake.

The bike does not need a damper.
  8. Rider1

Rider1 Ridin' Dave

Oddometer:
    ^
    This X 1,000.

Well Said !

BTW: Only have about 300 miles on my GSLC but I love it overall. Steering feels GREAT !
  9. Centurion210

Oddometer:
    I agree wholeheartedly. In piloting aircraft, we are also taught to establish personal minimums and know the limitations of our own abilities/experience. Things that would also help riders in being safe out there. It takes a while to get to know a bike and know its limits. All that said, I am still curious as to why BMW is adding steering dampers as standard equipment in'14 though...
  10. atwoodtja

atwoodtja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMHO, the bike may not need a steering damper, but it certainly could benefit from one. I'd been planning to add one, nothing fancy like a Scotts, but maybe a hyperpro setup below the A-arm.
  11. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    2600 miles of riding mine so far, and I have not experienced anything that makes me want a steering damper. And, FWIW, I have added them to bikes in the past, so it is a decision I am comfortable making.
  12. blazeone

blazeone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1. Mine has never had any thing close to a shake and I did the no hands and wack the bars test.
  13. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    :topes Link? :deal
  14. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I would bet this is the case.

Jim :brow
  15. Bails

Bails Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No need for Steering Damper , maybe if you are a Yank and used to 8 lanes of smooth road and experience a little feedback when you go on a side road it may be required. Any competent rider will know that a damper isn't required and the ride is safe a secure for the designed purpose.
  16. Centurion210

Oddometer:
  17. iride4u

iride4u Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree that there is no reason for a damper. Too many riders take just 1 MSF course to get there license then think that they need no other training. If more people took there riding more seriously and spent some time practicing add on items would not be needed except in extreme cases. After the first few miles I got used to the light steering and now look forward to it.
  18. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    Wow, way to insult a whole nation of motorcyclists.
  19. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    I love the experts that don't even own the bike...
  20. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    :lol3 We can only be insulted if we care what anyone else thinks. :freaky